It's a Girl...Movie

that looks like it's a really good film, its so sad that its true :(

The Chinese have basically bred themselves out because of this ridiculousness, the want to have a boy coupled with the one child per family rule has basically meant that in a few generations, the Chinese will have to breed out and mix races...

It's a tragic situation and happens all over the world :(

I have seen documentaries about it before but wow watching the trailer i couldnt believe this bit:

the women who strangled 8 of her babies because they were female and was just so matter of fact about it

:nope:

its so sad and it does happen all over the world and all honesty most people i know when first pregnant want a boy........!!! GIRL POWER!!!!

I thought I was logging on to congratulate someone who's just had a baby girl..

It is sad, and it happens in many cultures, more than we realize, and to varying degrees. I know in some Asian and African cultures girls don't get equal treatment on the basis that they are going to be another man's (their future husband's) property anyway, so why bother, right? This can range from not educating them, to giving them inferior diets etc..

I have some friends from different cultures and everytime they ask me when will I start TTCing for a boy? Even when I gave birth, they were like "awe don't worry, next time you will have a son." I was like..actually, I am quite pleased its a girl, and luckily, my DH doesn't care about gender, which is quite unusual for an African man.

So very tragic :( In China and India it's illegal to get a gender ultrasound scan. In India it's also illegal to pay a dowry to get your daughter married. However, the laws are not enforced! How can things change unless the culture changes and the government enforces it's own laws?

I work with an indian lady and shes just had her 4th girl. Her 3rd girl is the same age as Amelie. Her husband is desperate for a boy and she will keep getting pregnant until she has one :( i feel sorry for her as shes getting older (i think shes 40) and already has 4 young children to care for as well as working full time as a nurse. Luckily her husband is very good and looks after the kids and house quite a lot which is unusual for an indian man i think.
I heard that in some of the areas of the UK, they don't tell the gender at ultrasounds for these reasons but idk, i dont think its confirmed.

I have seen documentaries about it before but wow watching the trailer i couldnt believe this bit:

the women who strangled 8 of her babies because they were female and was just so matter of fact about it

:nope:

its so sad and it does happen all over the world and all honesty most people i know when first pregnant want a boy........!!! GIRL POWER!!!!

That part shocked me too she shoudl be glad she was blessed with them in the first place and to do that over something so trivial ... disgusting surely there are orphanages in india...

As for having a boy first I think I do have a slight preference but if it was a girl I wouldnt mind.

Desperately sad to think of killing 8 of your own daughters with your bare hands:cry:

its disgusting more than sad to be honest :cry: Poor babies.

Wow, that has floored me. I don't know what to say :cry:

It's disgusting to us because our cultures value babies of both genders. Their culture does not and that's the sad thing :cry: Their culture needs to change to value the individual.

I'm wondering what this film is meant to accomplish. Is it just trying to get the word out that gendercide is a very real thing, raise awareness? Because I don't know about you girls, but I've known since I was a child that this happened in China, that parents aborted their girl fetuses in order to try again for a boy. I'd like to know what is being done to help the women and girls.

I don't like watching films or documentaries on things that I myself cannot help to change in some way, YKWIM? I don't want to be left feeling sad and helpless. So I'm wondering if there's some way that I could help the situation, but all the website says is that I could share the trailer...

Nothing will change unless the government lifts the 1 child only rule :(

But India doesn't have the one child rule and yet has exactly the same issue with devaluing females. Government intrusion is not the only, or even the biggest, factor.

But India doesn't have the one child rule and yet has exactly the same issue with devaluing females. Government intrusion is not the only, or even the biggest, factor.

I thought it said they had a two child limit?

china now has a 2 child limit (it did use to be 1) but it doesnt stop the issue if the couple have two girls...........boys carry on the 'family name', work and more able to look after their parents when old where as females get married off into other families, so i guess they see it as having a boy equals a better life for them and they gain a daughter when their son marries.

i do honestly think that having a boy is alot of peoples first choice where ever they live in the world although tbh i really do not know why, i know more people want to keep trying for a boy but not many that want to keep trying for a girl. iykwim.

i have two girls and i have the comments 'are you going to keep trying for a boy? or its a shame you dont not have a boy! but friends i have with two boys have said they have never had comments like that regarding trying for a girl or its a shame you dont have a girl etc.

i find it so odd x

I work with an indian lady and shes just had her 4th girl. Her 3rd girl is the same age as Amelie. Her husband is desperate for a boy and she will keep getting pregnant until she has one :( i feel sorry for her as shes getting older (i think shes 40) and already has 4 young children to care for as well as working full time as a nurse. Luckily her husband is very good and looks after the kids and house quite a lot which is unusual for an indian man i think.
I heard that in some of the areas of the UK, they don't tell the gender at ultrasounds for these reasons but idk, i dont think its confirmed.

Aberdeen are not allowed to tell you, you can pay though at a private clinic and Dundee tell you, but Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire wont.

It's disgusting to us because our cultures value babies of both genders. Their culture does not and that's the sad thing :cry: Their culture needs to change to value the individual.

I'm wondering what this film is meant to accomplish. Is it just trying to get the word out that gendercide is a very real thing, raise awareness? Because I don't know about you girls, but I've known since I was a child that this happened in China, that parents aborted their girl fetuses in order to try again for a boy. I'd like to know what is being done to help the women and girls.

I don't like watching films or documentaries on things that I myself cannot help to change in some way, YKWIM? I don't want to be left feeling sad and helpless. So I'm wondering if there's some way that I could help the situation, but all the website says is that I could share the trailer...

i think sometimes the old saying, any publicity is good, is the reason. Yes a lot if widely know, but its not something that's in the fore front of your mind, but if this film will take it a talking point (this thread is a brilliant example), i have known of these things since i was younger, but not every adult is educated about other cultures and I am sure you would find people who dont know.

So weather the film is watched or not the fact is it will be talked about and I am sure some people do get influenced by these things enough to do something about it. If we didn't know or have publicity about famines in Africa we wouldn't have people funding or working there.

There's loads of organizations that work to raise awareness of gendercide and improve the rights of the girl child. (haha my spell checker does not like the word "gendercide"..its still stuck in the past)

If you go online you can do some research and help via donations, online volunteering loads of different things. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->