Its really unbelievable...insurance companies!

Elli21

Reaction score
For the last 12 months we have been paying £38 a month for contents insurance :shock:
We had no choice really as no one else would insure us as we had made 3 claims in 2009-2010.

This renewal, they wanted £68 a month :shock: and when i said to them "how come as we havnt made a claim since early 2010" they said "because your high risk still as we go by the last 5 years." I asked for the claim details and they said "i take it you will be shopping around seeing as your asking for this information" I replied "sure am, with a renewal quote like that!" and they replied "well no one will touch you, good luck"

I got turned down by a few companies, but i went on a compare website and entered everything in, and found one that will cost us £11 a month. And others that offered £15 a month and some £21 etc...there were loads.

I rang one and they gave me the same quote even with all the claim history!

So ive saved ourselves £57 a month just by shopping around for half hour!!:winkwink:

Thats over £600 a year!!!

They can be such bullies sometimes, and now, just to be a funny old cow, ill be moving my car and roadside insurance from them too when they are up to renew!!

Glad you found something better!
I had my car insurance with a company, about £360 a year, got my renewal quote at £640! So I went online, entered the exact same details into the exact same company and got a quote of "£360 ish again! Bloody cheek. So when I phone tomask about the near £300 descrepancy they didn't know what to say!

Good for you! You get nothing for being loyal to a company these days.
:thumbup:

^^^ Agree 100% My car insurance renewal quote was a joke this year. Last year i paid around £550ish, when the renewal quote came through the post they wanted over £1000! Even though absolutely nothing had changed in the past year, no claims or anything.

Went on a comparison website, and we were quoted £550! Needless to say I didn't stick with the same insurance company, there was no way they could have justified doubling the cost, my lisence is clean, and i've never had an accident or made any sort of claim.

Good for you, just goes to show what shopping around can do in the longrun, enjoy the extra money! xx

Woohoo! That's quite a saving. :happydance:

We were merily paying for contents insurance with the same company for 5 years. When we bought a house, started looking round for building & contents insurance and got it combined for quite a bit cheaper than we were getting for just contents... Wondered how that worked until I realised we were paying over the odds for a while. :shrug: It pays to shop around!

You get nothing for being loyal to insurance companies anymore, all they care about is getting new customers, notice how most special offers and discount are aimed at "new customers only", and it's not just the insurance companies either! They get the customers in but then give them no reason to stick around, the ones that do stay with them usually only do because it's convenient.

Good for you huni, I always shop around and always find cheaper year after year.

Shocking isn't it! It just goes to show how worth it, shopping around can be!

I havnt bothered before, with car insurance, contents insurance or roadside or anything!! From now n i definately will be!!

It does pay to shop around, but particularly for car insurance the prices do go up year on year.

The same car that was costing me £170 fully comp is now costing £270 with the same details (low risk area, 10 years no claims, low risk occupation, no points etc) even with shopping around.

Worth saying that many insurance companies will have an "auto renew" clause in their policies that will automatically take out the renewal - these are usually opt out clauses meaning you have to make sure you cancel your policy if you want to be sure you won't be charged if you choose to go elsewhere for the following year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->