Itty Bitty Babies Club (Slow Gainers)

lyre

Reaction score
Welcome to the Itty Bitty Babies Club! We decided to start a club to give moral support and share experiences with anyone who has a baby that is a "slow gainer" for whatever/no obvious reason. BF and FF friendly, the only purpose of the club is to be supportive to each other. The more the merrier!

As mentioned below, my little boy has severe reflux and "missed" quite a few growth spurts due to the excess sickness. He was 7lb 3oz at birth, then lost over 10% of his birth weight which he recovered within 3 weeks, however, then the reflux kicked in and he has since gained an average of a lb a month. His medication has been adjusted and is finally working as it should, and in the last couple of weeks he has gained over a lb, so things are improving, but no one ever believes he is 3 months old! lol.

****************************************************************************************************************
Original post.

My little boy is 3 months old today and weighs 10lb. He has suffered with severe reflux from 2 weeks and is on rantidine and domperidone. He was on the 2nd percentile last week, but due to a bad cold and cough, he didnt put on any weight this week and has dropped to the 0.4th percentile.

He has been on his medication since mid november, however, the dosage was too low for his weight and was only increased mid Dec. He is much happier on his medication now and feeds well (both sides totalling 40-60mins, every 2 to 3 hours) and his sickness has reduced significantly.

He usually gains 5 to 7 oz a week. He has been seen by two pediatricians and they both say he is fine and just following his own growth curve and not to pay attention to the growth charts.

However, everyone who meets him comments on how small/slight/light he is with concern. I did supplement one or two feeds with formula around 3 weeks, but he doesn't like it and doesn't take it anymore.

I know there is nothing wrong with him and the pediatricians are happy with his progress but I'm wondering if I should try harder to supplement with formula..........just not sure what to do for the best. He is alert and has plenty of wet/dirty nappies. His development other than weight is progressing as it should. He fought his cold off well, so his immune system is coping.....what do you think? should I supplement or continue as I am?

Sorry for the ramble, it just gets to me when everyone else is so concerned about him, like I'm starving him or something. :wacko:

I wouldn't. I had the same thing happen to my son, hardly put on any weight betwee 2-3 months as he had a cold. My DR assured me my son is just a small boy and he's perfectly healthy. No need to supplement as BM is all he needs. If your DR's are saying he's fine and doesn't need any supplementing, I wouldn't worry about it. Ignore others...they don't know what they're talking about. Babies come in different sizes. My son is and has always been around 3% and people either tell me how small he is or how BIG...lol...which makes me laugh.
You're the mom and you know best!

If the paediatricians are not worried and he is generally gaining 5 to 7 ounces a week then I think he is absolutely fine! Now that he is over his cold I'm sure he will start gaining again. There's no guarantee that he would gain any quicker even if he was on formula - he is just growing at his own rate in my opinion.

Agreed! If the peds aren't worried, you shouldn't either. If he is improving and putting on weight when he doesn't have other complications (like the cold), then all is well! He will catch up in his own time.

:hugs:

OMG I'm so glad you posted this! Seriously the first comment out of anybody's mouth is how tiny my daughter is. She is just now 12 pounds and is 5 months old. :shrug: She is happy, laughs all the time, smiles at everyone and loves to play. She rolls both ways, sits up for a few seconds at the most right now, but is right on schedule with milestones, etc. She's just small. She looks perfect to me but everyone else has these huge babies and it always makes me worry. The doctors say she's perfect. They were even impressed with how alert and strong she is. But as a mommy, we are going to worry regardless. :hugs: I don't supplement with formula and have no plans to do so. You can message me anytime with fears, complaints, or whatever hun. Just know you aren't alone with having a tiny baby! :flower:

I absolutely agree with everyone else so far- if the paediatricians aren't worried then try not to worry yourself (soooo much easier said than done- i know)

Since he normally gains weight well, and there is a clear reason why he hasn't with his cold, then i personally wouldn't supplement with formula.

It must be frustrating having everyone comment though, why can't people just think before they open their mouths sometimes? :growlmad:

i could've written this post too, lol. i agree with what eveyone else has written.

i could've written this post too, lol. i agree with what eveyone else has written.

me too!

Hamish was just about 11lb at 3 months and his weight gain is starting to slow down now (it was about 1lb every two weeks for a while), but the HV says this is totally normally and as long as he seems well and has the usual nappy action, I shouldn't worry. I haven't supplemented with formula, and Hamish seems to be growing just fine.

Emma has only ever gained a pound a month. No colds or flu yet so that isn't the reason. She just gains slow. :shrug: This site is the only thing that has made me worry because women brag constantly about how chubby their babies are. :nope: The doctors she's seen say she's perfect but some of the statements on here makes me feel like there's something wrong with her. :nope:

The doctors she's seen say she's perfect but some of the statements on here makes me feel like there's something wrong with her. :nope:

Aww that's really sad it makes you feel that way :hugs: there's nothing wrong with emma- she looks perfect :D

I think i might be guilty of bragging about how quickly Tobias is gaining weight at the minute but i guess it's just because i am so proud of how well he's doing inspite of the issues we've had with reflux etc, and also because it just amazes me how much bigger he is than when he was born just 10 weeks ago. I'd hate to think it made anyone feel bad about their baby's weight gain though :nope: I think babies are just individuals and gain at different rates and have different proportions. Like, Toby has a huge belly but (comparatively) slim thighs, my nephew seems to be quite skinny but long and must be dense as he is heavier than you'd think for a baby his size etc etc.

The doctors she's seen say she's perfect but some of the statements on here makes me feel like there's something wrong with her. :nope:

Aww that's really sad it makes you feel that way :hugs: there's nothing wrong with emma- she looks perfect :D

I think i might be guilty of bragging about how quickly Tobias is gaining weight at the minute but i guess it's just because i am so proud of how well he's doing inspite of the issues we've had with reflux etc, and also because it just amazes me how much bigger he is than when he was born just 10 weeks ago. I'd hate to think it made anyone feel bad about their baby's weight gain though :nope: I think babies are just individuals and gain at different rates and have different proportions. Like, Toby has a huge belly but (comparatively) slim thighs, my nephew seems to be quite skinny but long and must be dense as he is heavier than you'd think for a baby his size etc etc.

Aww. hehe. :hugs: I am mostly referring to posts that I see saying things like 'A chubby baby is a healthy baby' or 'a baby is supposed to be chubby'. I see that alot on here and just want to scream because Emma is dainty and has little chubby cheeks and a little chub on her thighs but that is it as far as her chubbiness goes. I know as mommies we are sensitive to certain issues and that can't be helped. :blush: I find myself worrying about it all the time because that's all I ever hear from people is how tiny she is or that someone has a baby three months younger that already weighs more than her. :shock:

EDIT: Rebaby, I just looked more at your avatar and OMG Tobias has the cutest dimples ever. He is going to be a heartbreaker with those things.:cloud9:

cleckner04, i know exactly what you mean, my sister has a little girl who is only 8 weeks old and already she weighs more than my little boy! and she was a lb less at birth.

Emma has only ever gained a pound a month. No colds or flu yet so that isn't the reason. She just gains slow. :shrug: This site is the only thing that has made me worry because women brag constantly about how chubby their babies are. :nope: The doctors she's seen say she's perfect but some of the statements on here makes me feel like there's something wrong with her. :nope:

I have felt like this at times too; I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one. I spoke to the women in my BF group about it & they said the growth charts are just world averages & used as guidelines & not to pay much attention to them or to other people's comments. The first thing people always say about Harry is how small he is; I wpould love just once for someone to say something like, aww, look at his hair, or his eyes or something like that, you know??? My Dr says Harry is just fine even though he's also on the 0.4th centile, and is following that line nicely, so I'm gonna trust in her, lol.

I have felt like this at times too; I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one. I spoke to the women in my BF group about it & they said the growth charts are just world averages & used as guidelines & not to pay much attention to them or to other people's comments. The first thing people always say about Harry is how small he is; I wpould love just once for someone to say something like, aww, look at his hair, or his eyes or something like that, you know??? My Dr says Harry is just fine even though he's also on the 0.4th centile, and is following that line nicely, so I'm gonna trust in her, lol.

:hugs::hugs:

We should start a tiny baby club! :haha: We can talk about anything in it but the main thing we have in common is our smaller than average and absolutely perfect babies. :rofl:

EDIT: Rebaby, I just looked more at your avatar and OMG Tobias has the cutest dimples ever. He is going to be a heartbreaker with those things.:cloud9:

Thankyou :D We think he is scrummy :cloud9:

And i totally get what you mean about feeling a bit sensitive about certain things and how people commenting just makes it worse. When Toby first started with the reflux and was bringing up milk after every single feed i was at my sisters house having just fed him and i sat him up to burp him and he was sick all down himself and it ran off his bib and dripped on to the floor and she said "I've never seen a baby be so sick!" and it really got my back up! I felt like saying "Don't be ridiculous, it just looks like more because it's dribbled down on to the floor!" :growlmad: It wasn't really the comment, but the fact i was already worried about him being "a sicky baby" and her saying that definitely didn't help! Also her son is just a month younger than Tobias and they get compared all the time and it drives me mad! So i do understand where you're coming from :hugs:

I guess one thing that freaked me out a bit, was another thread on bnb where a lady was saying she was concerned for the welfare of a friends baby because he was so small.........several people posted saying she had a right to be concerned and should act on it.....one lady even went so far as to say "some mothers like to keep their babies small so that they look cuter"!!!!!!!! WTF

I know I shouldn't care what other people think.....and I don't usually but sometimes it gets a bit much.

I guess one thing that freaked me out a bit, was another thread on bnb where a lady was saying she was concerned for the welfare of a friends baby because he was so small.........several people posted saying she had a right to be concerned and should act on it.....one lady even went so far as to say "some mothers like to keep their babies small so that they look cuter"!!!!!!!! WTF

I know I shouldn't care what other people think.....and I don't usually but sometimes it gets a bit much.

WTF???!!! How exactly isn a small baby cuter than a bigger one anyways? And how do you 'keep a baby small?' Surely they'd scream for food like constantly or something??? Weird, lol.

I know what you mean tho; it does get a bit much at times, but I guess we have to trust ourselves as mummies to know our babies & what they're like & I am 100% sure we would all know if something was wrong & would act on it straight away if we had any uncertainties or concerns.

DO NOT SUPPLEMENT
I was in exactly the same situation as you and I started giving him 7oz in the evening
after a week, at some feeds he refused the breast and so I had to give him a bottle to calm him down and now I'm kind of breastfeeding kind of bottle feeding - not really sure - depends on if he takes breast at feeding time or not
anyway i supplemented because he went from 50th to 25th to 9th to 2nd and while that did concern me and HV , it didnt concern the Dr
As long as your baby is happy i think thats the main thing, give it time!! I really regret supplementing

My DR has never been even slightly concerned about Luka's weight...he asked me if I was a small baby and I was...so he wasn't shocked at all that Luka's small. A friend of ours' baby is 2 months younger and about 4 lbs heavier! LOL...people always tell me to be happy, less to carry right now, way easier on the back! haha.

Emma was not on the growth chart when she was born. Over the last 7 months we have jumped all around it and we have settled now at around the 25th.

The first thing to remember is that the centiles are not designed for BF babies. They were designed using the progress of FF babies. BF babies follow a different growth path. Our baby clinic are very firm about that and say the if you are BF you must keep that in mind. Many BF babies follow a steps growth curve- they will go up and level out and carry on that pattern. Their curve will look like a set of stairs.of thel

If LO has been ill then I would say that it is totally right that their has been little/no weight gain that week. As long as you still have wet and dirty nappies then things are going fine.

I have spent 6 of the last 7 weeks worrying about Emma's growth. Decided now that it is time to just accept that she is doing her own thing. Not everyone will be big- I am only 5 foot2 so I am not sure why I expected her to be at the top of her charts!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->