IUI after failed IVF

MCEJ

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to B&B. My DH and I just finished our first IVF cycle in which we had 12 eggs, 9 fertilized, transferred 3 grade 5 embies on day 5, no embies made to freeze. We got a beta of 15.8 on a Thursday and by Monday it dropped down to a 13....a chemical pregnancy. We tried an IUI first but it was BFN. RE recommended IVF to see egg quality, etc. and felt with our great response to the stims, it would be successful. When we had our chemical pregnancy, he suggested several options.

My DH are paying completely out of pocket due to no insurance coverage and we had plenty of stims left over to do an IUI but not an IVF. RE said with our great results, he felt positive about moving toward toe IUI but recommended we do a lap procedure first to make sure there isn't any factor that is unseen by ultrasound that is preventing us from having a BFP.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also, had anyone had success with IUI after a failed IVF?

Thank you for any input!

I just had a failed IVF and am now doing my first laproscopy and hysteroscopy soon (I hope) so that we have a better idea of what is exactly going on in there. I think its a great idea to do that before anything else. I wish I had done this first, but they don't suggest it for every patient.

I know that IUI is much less expensive, but in my experience at least, IUI is a huge hassle for something with very little success rate. Depending on your age, it could be only 10-15% chance of success each cycle. It's just like wasting time.

If you are open to IVF, I'd do it instead. It's not a guarantee of course, but the likelihood of success is much higher.

Good luck!

I know that IUI is much less expensive, but in my experience at least, IUI is a huge hassle for something with very little success rate. Depending on your age, it could be only 10-15% chance of success each cycle. It's just like wasting time.

If you are open to IVF, I'd do it instead. It's not a guarantee of course, but the likelihood of success is much higher.

Good luck!

They gave me 5% with ivf with my own eggs!!! Talk about a crazy person I must be! Now I sound like a broken record, but if I had a 10-15% chance I would be much happier.

Good luck!

They gave me 5% with ivf with my own eggs!!! Talk about a crazy person I must be! Now I sound like a broken record, but if I had a 10-15% chance I would be much happier.

Well, I have 20% chance with IUI...........and I'm still sitting here 2 years later. :haha:

No you're not crazy to at least try it. It's worth a shot. :hugs:

MCEJ, hello!

I'm surprised your RE did not do the laparoscopy prior to your IVF cycle. My RE performed a laparoscopy, HSG and I think he did a hysteroscopy with the laparoscopy. That is how I found out I had stage1 endometriosis which he said he took care of.

I am currently stimmulating for my upcoming IVF#2 cycle. I have started a journal. Feel free to check it out if you feel the need for some inspiration. We are all in this crazy world of infertility together

I wish you much baby dust...................

MCEJ, hello!

I'm surprised your RE did not do the laparoscopy prior to your IVF cycle. My RE performed a laparoscopy, HSG and I think he did a hysteroscopy with the laparoscopy. That is how I found out I had stage1 endometriosis which he said he took care of.

I am currently stimmulating for my upcoming IVF#2 cycle. I have started a journal. Feel free to check it out if you feel the need for some inspiration. We are all in this crazy world of infertility together

I wish you much baby dust...................

Thank you all for your replies!

WishinMommy2B: I had an SIS prior to my IUI and everything looked to be fine. All other tests were normal according to my RE. I had an anaphylactic reaction to a non IVP dye and he was worried about doing lap/hysteroscopy. After much discussion with other MDs and Radiologists, they believe it is safe for me to do. I feel like we should have done that first as well. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. I at least could have done the lap. He will do both (like you did) at the same time. I am waiting on AF to come. I am on day 31 and will go in Thursday for bloodwork, u/s to see why I am late, then we will plan the procedure. I will check out your journal! My DH and I have spent over 20K so far out of pocket and if everything is ok, we thought "what the heck, let's try an iui" since we have enough stims left over for an iui and no more money for ivf at this time. I know the odds are low b/c of my age (41) but we might as well use what we have and keep praying!

Baby dust to all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->