IUI Timing

Aayla

TTC IUI #1
Reaction score
I ovulate around cd 19 or 20. Some months I have temped to be sure, some I have not and went on cm only. My last cycle according to FF was cd 20 and I never saw a surge with opk's. The three cycles before that I was pretty sure was cd 19. One I got the lh surge on cd 19 and temp spike on cd 20. The other 2 were based on cm.

Here is my dilemma. The clinic wants me to use opk's with fmu. They want me to use CB or FR regular not digi. Then when I see the surge to call in and the iui will be done that day.

Sometimes I don't get a surge and when I do it is always at night and once i ovulated the same night i surged. They said that I can book my iui ahead of time as I am the paying customer but they really want me to rely on opks. But I am afraid I am going to miss my window if I don't see the surge.

Should I book the IUI? If so, should I book it on cd 19 as I suspect I have ovulated on that day the most or book it on cd 20 as FF said I ovulated on that day last month.

If you dont get a positive opk by a certain day, they will/should make you come in for an ultrasound to check the progress of your follicles. They definitely want to time it correctly. Too early could result in sperm not surviving and too late would be a bust. I never got a pos opk during my iui cycle and went in at cd 14 and they found that I had 1 mature follicle. I triggered that night and 36 hrs later had the procedure.

they did tell me if I have not got a surge by cd 18 then to call and they will do a blood test but they don't seem to listen to me as The blood test would be pointless because of course it is going to come up negative for ovulation as I wouldn't likely ovulate until cd 19 or 20.

We are doing everything unmonitored and no injection meds. This is the cheapest option at $400. adding in the other stuff bumps it to $2500 and the doc said at that point we might as well do IVF.

it would be nice if they did an ultrasound.

Maybe ask for an ultrasound, if you don't get a positive opk? The blood test wouldn't be helpful if they're looking to see if you did ovulate. I hope the dr listens to you. It's so frustrating when they don't. Some clinics think every woman has a 28 day cycle and that's not true.

Dancingnurse2 - have a look at this thread, there's a few of us who are having/about to and had IUI treatment

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/a...ummer-iui-support-thread-83.html#post37645039

I don't go by OPKs, I think they are too unreliable, I'm sure that's why our IUI failed. You can get false positives with OPKs, ask them to do bloods if you want to know for sure

Thanks Ladies. I will be using the opk's but I definitely think I will be asking for an ultrasound if I don't get a positive by cd 19.

We did a trigger shot to make me ovulate. That way there was no guess or worry about missing the window. They did ultrasound to check follicles, trigger shot when they were mature, and then IUI the next day. I got pregnant the second cycle but had a miscarriage at 7.5 weeks. However, we did get pregnant for the first time so something went right. You might could ask if you could do the shot?

I called the clinic and left a message to see how much extra it is to do just the trigger shot and why I wanted it. If it isn't too much we will see about adding it in. If not we will try this cycle as is and add it in next cycle.

Trigger is a no go for this cycle as I am already on cd 5 and they would want to do a baseline scan on cd 2 or 3 and then again on cd 10.

So we just have to do our best to time as best as we can this cycle. If we choose to do it we can do the trigger next cycle but it will add an extra $400. So it will be $800.

Oh my goodness. Have you tried other places/pharmacies for a price on trigger shot? Mine was only 120.00. That is insane! I triggered with Ovidrel and so prices might be different depending on what you trigger with.

the medication is only $80. It's $300 for the ultrasounds throughout the cycle.

Oh ok.. Our ultrasounds were only $40.00. Amazing how prices vary depending on where you are.

Ours were $250 each ultrasound. With meds, monitoring and the procedure the IUI was $2,500. If we went for ivf, it would've been $20,000+. I'm in the US and our insurance doesn't cover infertility which is sad.

I'm in the US too. Our IUI's were $400 each. Meds were about another $125.00. I'm not sure how much IVF would be as we are not quite there yet. I think around 12,000 though from what others I know have said. Insurance doesn't cover anything for me either. It did cover some of the testing, until we got our official diagnosis, then the doctor had to change my diagnosis to what it officially is which falls under infertility so not much has been covered since. I can't complain about our RE's office. They have been great with working with us on insurance and offer payment plans for IVF.

Our insurance covered some of the testing which was great bc it was more expensive than the procedure. I thought our insurance would pick up the blood work or some meds during the IUI cycle, but it didn't. I loved my RE as well. He was very determined to help us conceive and the staff was super sweet and comforting (minus 1 cpn). It helps when you have am awesome support system.

A straight up IUI with no monitoring or extra meds is $400 at my clinic. this covers the cost of the sperm washing. Add in my letrozole that is an extra $55 but I take that anyway each cycle. For the trigger shot and ultrasounds to monitor it is another $380. If we went the injection med route with trigger etc it is $2500. At that price my doc said it makes more sense to save that for a few months and do the IVF which is $10,000 here. Since I have 3 cycle left, max, on the letrozole he said to just go with basic IUI as I did get pregnant last year with timed intercourse.

If this cycle fails we may do the trigger. It will have to see about finances as there are other things we need. Unfortunately my hubby's extended medical doesn't cover anything with infertility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->