Ive got to send my child to school unwell

laura109

Reaction score
My daughter started school in September.I was worried that her attendance will be poor as she had been at nursery and she was always unwell. Literally off every month with viruses and stomach bugs. It's all normal but it was a rough time. Her little brother ended up in hospital at the end of last winter with a horrible chest infection.

Over the summer I got her strong. We went to beaches. Had lots of fresh air and started on vitamins and probiotics. She always eats fruit and raw carrots. Veg is always a part of our tea unless it's a rare pizza night or something. She eats breakfast and walks a mile to school. She swims in Saturday. She always has played out and we often walk in the woods etc.

She has had six days off this year. I was naughty and let her skive for the two days before Christmas break. My son had flu and was laid on the sofa not eating or playing. There was a sick bug in my child's class. I just couldn't risk it. I just hoped we could get through the next five and half week term with no days off.

She comes home last night. She got straight in her PJ's and said she had a cold. I thought it was from walking home on the cold. But within an hour she was sneezing and grumbling. So I gave her calpol. At 6.30pm I took her to bed. Would you believe she was still awake 5 hours later crying and saying she was ill. I looked after her brother all night whilst her dad took care of her. I need to wake her in 10 minutes for school. I'm absolutely dreading it. I have got to send her in. Her attendance is 92% I know that she's not quite five yet. But I don't even want to risk the school sending me a letter. Plus her friends don't seem to have days off for colds. A couple of mums have already said she doesn't have much luck. She really doesn't seem to. I wish her immune system would just strengthen now. How many more years of exposure before she can actually not get a cold virus every month. I really don't want her missing school every month. I hate the thought of her feeling rotten though and needing a rest and Calpol!

A lot of children have time off at this age. I know both of mine had quite bad attendance because they seemed to catch one thing after another. She will get better quicker resting at home and I'm sure the school will understand.

I say sod the attendance at that age, if shes unwell she can't help it, and schools have a tendency to care more about attendance than they do of the childs health and well being. Kids always catch bugs and germs from school, that's unavoidable no matter how much fruit and veg you pump into them, it's all part of growing up, if she has a cold, just give her calpol and send her in, that's what I do with my older two, if they are unwell in school they phone me and I collect them, if they are really unwell the night before or during the night, I keep them off anyway, I wouldn't even worry about the attendance at that rate, if she is genuinely ill and needs to he off, then she needs to be off

The attendance stuff is unhelpful at best. It's like the whole thing about how a restraining order only works on someone for whom you don't need a restraining order. If you get an attendance warning and you're someone who thinks it's not important, a warning won't do anything to help. But if you already care, then it only makes the situation worse by adding stress. If she's sick, keep her home. Please. For everyone's sakes. My daughter had like 84% attendance in kindergarten, I talked to her teachers about it, no one was worried. she was sick a lot and we also took family trips out of state. She's in 2nd grade now and her attendance is still below 90, they get sick a lot at this age. Seriously what's the point of sending her, just to see a number go up? take care of her at home, so she can recover and so you don't spread viruses around school and make other kids sick.

I agree with the other ladies , Honesty don’t worry !! Reception and year 1 are the worst in our school for illness ! So many kids have been off in those years .

Id keep my sick child off school without question they will probably end up phoning you anyway, hope she’s feeling better soon .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->