IVF, Egg Sharing.

Lawhra

NowProudMumOfTwo!!
Reaction score
Well, I had my final appointment with a Fertility Doctor today. There are no more tests they can do.
I have mild PCOS and my OH has below average sperm. We were told today to keep trying but IVF is recommended. We cannot afford IVF so was told about the Egg Sharing.
OH is happy to do that if I am happy. I would do it but have one worry really, what if she fell and I didn't? It's quite a toughy. Has anyone done egg sharing? Or had success on the first round? Because I do not see how we will afford to pay for the second round.
So much going through my head. Feeling very negative right now :(
I hope to get some replies and thank you in advance, i'll reply to any i'm lucky enough to get when I can. Me and OH are off out for a nice meal whilst Louis is with his Grandma.
Just needed to get this out. Thank you :)

Hi Hun,

I looked into egg sharing before Xmas - i looked at a few private clinics and basically the deal was that you pay for an inital consultation and intial blood tests (they have to check genetics and stuff) - consultation cost £300 and the bloods approx £700 and you also have to pay the HFEA leavy (something like £150 from memory) and then everything else is covered by the recipient (unless you need ICSI which was an addition £1500 i think). If you need further cycles if the first one isnt successful cos you already have had a consultation and blood tests done then you would only need to pay the HFEA levy for every following cycle - so much cheaper the second time around.

All of the clinics that I looked into said that you had to produce a minimum of 8 eggs - 4 for you and 4 for the recipient - if you produced below this then either the cycle would be cancelled or you could pay the £4500 - £6000 it would cost to keep all the eggs for yourself and continue with the treatment.

Not only this but every clinic wanted the donor to have a FSH level of below 8. They unfortunately didnt tell me this till I had paid them £300 for the consultation and as I have a level of 8.7 I couldn't join the scheme.

I personally didnt have an issue with the fact that she could get pregnant and I wouldn't cos I dont see my eggs as my children - and I would be relieved to know that my eggs were good quality and I could therefore try again. However my main worry (before I knew I couldn't do the bloody thing anyway) was that I would not produce 8 eggs. To go through all of the drugs and the worry and upset and then have to be faced with either bancrupting yourself and carrying on with the cycle on your own or walking away from it - and potentially 7 lovely eggs - would be absolutely devastating.

It is all a personal choice hun - and you have to decide what you can deal with. I think that if my FSH level had been OK I would have gone through with it - cos at that point I was so desperate for treatment as on horrendously long NHS waiting list - BUT the deicsion was taken out of my hands - and snce then we are now on the road to treatment and have been given the good news that our PCT gives three free goes - so I think all worked out for the best.

Good luck hun in whatever you decide - and def. check your FSH level before handign over any cash - it killed my xmas bonus!!

Bx x x x :hugs::hugs:

The clinic i'm going to you have to be under 36 to donate so that's me out but i did have thoughts like you. It's good that you can get advice and different opinions like Beckic's on here before deciding

Beckic: Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I had no idea about ANY of that. So I feel much better equiped to deal with that decision if it comes to it. It may well be my only option so I hope I can fit the requirements. As I already have a son I cannot get IVF on the NHS.
I'm really happy for you that you are on your way to getting treatment and ultimately your baby, I wish you a swift bfp :D

tansey: I was told also that donors need to be 35 or under. And although i'm only 26, it seems there are other obsticles :( Nothing in the world of ttc is easy eh.
Thank you for your reply. And I wish you well with your appointment with the FS Consultant :)

I was about to start before I found out I was pregnant, you do get counselling which will be able to help you come to make your decision. Good luck xx

Congratulations!! :D

I hope to be as lucky :)

Happy and Healthy nine months to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel