Jacks FAB Birth Story 27th August 2011 - Hope for first time mums!

kaths101

Reaction score
Little Jacks birth story born 27th August 2011 at 9.52am..
Bearing in mind, he was 10 days late, I had 2 sweeps and he was back to back!! Ive tried to include all the details..

Monday 22nd August – First sweep - did nothing!

Thursday 25th August – started mild contractions but nothing serious. Was booked in for induction on Wednesday 31st August at 10am.

Friday 26th August – Had a few pains in the night but nothing serious.

Saturday 27th August – 2am went to bed and started getting contractions, started to time and I had 3 contractions 9 minutes apart so decided to get up and sleep on the sofa so Josh (my OH) could sleep. I started getting Alfie the dog toys ready as he was getting looked after by my mum and I also got the rabbit veg and pellets ready - also being fed by my mum. I still didn’t think it was labour, thought they were maybe Braxton hicks, but then about 5.45am I had an almighty contraction that felt like a rip through my stomach. I rang labour ward and they said take a bath or if I wanted, to go in so I decided to as I was in quite a bit of pain by then and the hospital is about 45 minutes way. We left for the hospital about 6am, it was torrential rain and the journey felt like it took forever. I was in agony.
We got to the hospital about 6.35am and after getting lost in the hospital, while contracting and having to stop every couple of minutes we finally got to the delivery suite. I was put in a room in absolute agony and was examined. I was only 3cm, I was gutted as I was in so much pain and couldn’t believe I still had so far to go. I asked for pain relief but they said it was too early. The midwife then faffed about with some scales as she wanted to weigh me, I wasn’t best pleased as this was the last thing I wanted. Josh then reminded me to put my TENS machine on – I really wish I had put it on earlier as it was fab!!

I was transferred over to my own room about 30 minutes later, again I was in such pain and just couldn’t stand it, the pain in my lower bump was excruciating. I stayed upright though laying on my ball, leaning on the bed, pacing about. While leaning on the bed my body starting pushing – I just couldn’t stop it. I said to Josh I was pushing so I buzzed the buzzer, no one came for ages so Josh went and got someone (the buzzer wasn’t working!)
She said it was too early to be pushing but said that she would examine me again anyway. Well in the space of about an hour I had gone up to 7cm and my body WAS pushing – I just couldn’t stop it.

The anaesthetist came in to give me the epidural that I requested earlier and started talking about what was going to happen, they put the canula in my hand and then the midwife looked and went Oh – no time for the epidural!!! At some point a few midwives came in as I think baby’s heart rate was dropping but then it picked up.
I stayed on the bed then and she wheeled in the gas and air – thank god for that!! I had a few puffs and Josh did a grand job of shoving it in my mouth when a contraction came, and keping me topped up with water and lucozade (I got very thirsty)…. A few minutes later my little man was born. His head was out in a few pushes with the cord wrapped round twice, it then seemed like the contractions stopped but it must have only been a minute or two and his body was born.

Jack Ethan George Robinson weighed 7lbs 7oz

The whole birth was 2hours 52 minutes which for a first time mum is great. I did it all with just my TENS and a few puffs of gas and air!

First stage 1hr 47mins
Second Stage 35 minutes
Third stage 8 minutes

I was on the phone to my mum about 20 minutes after the birth and he latched on the breast straight away too. I had a few stitches which weren’t painful at all. I felt fine afterwards, had a bath, could walk and wee fine.
Jack had meconium on him (from the shock of the fast birth) so we had to stay in one night – we were finally let home at lunch time on Sunday.

I had a really lovely birth – very very painful but couldn’t have gone better. Jack was back to back all along the pregnancy but turned sideways at the last minute. The midwife couldn’t believe how quick it was and definitely recommended a home birth for the next one.
So girls there is hope for you!!

Congratulations :flower:

What a lovely short labour mine was 34 hours!!!

Any pics? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->