jahovas witnesses knocking on peoples doors

babycrazy1706

Mummy to Elijah and TTC
Reaction score
What's your opinion on it? I find it rude. If I 'accidentally' open the door and its them, then I'm always polite & respectful etc but why do they think its ok to just disturb people in their home to discuss their own beliefs? Xx

I just tell them i am uninterested. I completely respect their devotion to their faith but i don't really agree with the knocking. Id much rather they just left a leaflet.

I hate it. So so rude. I just tell them im not interested the minute they say what they are doing. Feel the same way about salesmen coming to my door too!

I grew up a JW and have no interest in it these days - occasionally one comes to my door and refuses to accept that I would never go back which I find really frustrating. Most of them are very polite and understanding, and it gives them a sense of fulfilment so it's no real bother. I have heard stories of some turning up at people's houses on Christmas Day though which I find totally intolerable.

To be honest it doesn't annoy me any more than chuggers knocking on my door trying to get money out of me - it's all annoying!

I dont mind, I usually have a conversation with them. Haha.

I guess it's a part of their belief to preach but I am getting quite sick and tired of them not taking no for an answer! we have at least one visit every other week now and I tell them straight away I'm not interested and they just continue to talk over me and then pull out a book to quote for me. I might have to start not opening the door!

I guess it's a part of their belief to preach but I am getting quite sick and tired of them not taking no for an answer! we have at least one visit every other week now and I tell them straight away I'm not interested and they just continue to talk over me and then pull out a book to quote for me. I might have to start not opening the door!

Guess ive been really lucky with the ones that come to my house.

I don't mind it. I have one that knocks every now and then but I'm always busy, she's lovely though. I've always thought it's a bit cute really, they think they're saving us from armageddon and they have all those doors slammed in their faces and they still try. It musn't be an easy job I guess but they do it.

I can't bear these evangelists who stand in the high street spouting obnoxious crap. They always come off pretty aggressive. I'd love to go shopping in town on a Saturday without a fella with a megaphone screaming in my face about my 'sins' - just once!

I think it's rude. I don't agree with trying to force your religious beliefs on others.

I had one come to the door the other day. I saw him clutching a copy of the watch tower and before he could even tell me who he was I'd politely told him I wasn't interested and shut the door. I treat them like sales men.

I don't mind it really. Mostly I don't find them forceful. Occasionally I invite the mormons in, I quite like chatting to them. But if they were rude and tried to force a belief on me, I wouldn't like it. I'm interested in religion but my beliefs aren't going to be changed.

I just say I'm not interested and shut the door, don't give them a chance to speak but oh gets roped into all sorts!!

I don't mind it. I have one that knocks every now and then but I'm always busy, she's lovely though. I've always thought it's a bit cute really, they think they're saving us from armageddon and they have all those doors slammed in their faces and they still try. It musn't be an easy job I guess but they do it.

I can't bear these evangelists who stand in the high street spouting obnoxious crap. They always come off pretty aggressive. I'd love to go shopping in town on a Saturday without a fella with a megaphone screaming in my face about my 'sins' - just once!

One of the people that shout rubbish in Manchester town centre shouted to me that he could see the devil in me :rofl:

I just say I'm not interested and shut the door, don't give them a chance to speak but oh gets roped into all sorts!!

One of the people that shout rubbish in Manchester town centre shouted to me that he could see the devil in me :rofl:

No way! When I was a teenager I was out with my mate and his mum when one of them stopped his mum and told her to renounce her 'sins'. The conversation went like this...
"Say a prayer with me now, you are a sinner!"
"I don't sin"
"You have sex outside of marriage!"
"No"
"You judge others!"
"No"
"You drink and smoke!"
"No"
(Mega sarky) "Well, you're just f****g perfect then aren't you?"

We nearly died :rofl:

We had some that kept coming to our door, dh answered explained we are atheists (big mistake) and politly asked them to leave us alone. They then started knocking a couple of times a week - we just never answered, then then upped it to daily dh said it was harassment and would call the police if they came back - they ignored this then in one week they knocked ELEVEN times!! On the twelth (not my finest hour I admit) I answered the door he said he had been speaking to my husband I replied - we're not married we live in sin (we don't) our kids are bast**ds (their not) yes I know we will rot in hell now f**k off!! I don't know who was more shocked him or me but they have not been back since :thumbup: normally I would NEVER behave in that way but they had really pushed me to my limit. I also hate random salesmen/charity collecters but at least if you say no they don't come back.

Luckily I've never had any knock in my door but I guess each to thier own. As long as they're respectful and leave if your not interested rather than continue preaching. This is the exact reason I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone!!

A few weeks ago (just as FOB was due to drop Ben back) 2 Christians tried to convince me to go to bible studies. They got quite forceful and as much as I tried to explain I do believe in God I just don't practice it but I respect thier beliefs I got a barrage of 'how do you explain this wind and sun' I got quite annoyed after a while and they only left when I said give me a leaflet and ill think about it.

I had "cowboy man" (everyone here knows him, hes a loon who changes his beliefs all the time!) chase me into Oasis claiming my OH wasn't the one and would send me to hell :haha:

I don't find it "rude" because it isn't something they are doing to be inconvenient but because it is part of their faith and they believe they are supposed to preach, they don't see themselves as doing anything wrong. I would only find it rude if they were rude to me or said insensitive things, but I have to say the only time Jehovah Witnesses have come to my door they have been polite. There are some lovely JWs on this forum so I hope people keep it polite and remember this forum is full of people from all backgrounds, one bad experience doesn't represent a whole faith :flower:

I don't find it "rude" because it isn't something they are doing to be inconvenient but because it is part of their faith and they believe they are supposed to preach, they don't see themselves as doing anything wrong. I would only find it rude if they were rude to me or said insensitive things, but I have to say the only time Jehovah Witnesses have come to my door they have been polite. There are some lovely JWs on this forum so I hope people keep it polite and remember this forum is full of people from all backgrounds, one bad experience doesn't represent a whole faith :flower:

This is an excellent post. As i said i'm not a huge fan of the door knocking, but i dont like sales people either. But i have always found JW very polite when i say i am uninterested and i admire how devoted they are to their faith.

I actually enjoy talking to them! I find them very interesting and I admire the fact they persist even though most people just slam the door in their face. Although OH did get chased by some guy when we were shopping once, telling him he was dirty and impure and he should be ashamed of himself. The guy had a megaphone and made quite a scene. OH was mortified... I found it hilarious.

It doesn't bother me, I appreciate the fact that they are (in their mind) trying to save my soul- that's a pretty nice thing to do for someone :). Whenever I've had them knock the door I've said that I am happy with my religion but thanks for their time, they've sometimes chatted for a little while and that's been fine, then they've left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->