jahovas witnesses knocking on peoples doors

In their view they're helping. If they can help just one person in the thousands they speak to to find God and their way then I'm sure they feel it's worth the trouble and the abuse and the effort. They put up with a hell of a lot from people to essentially help others (in their view) so I think they should be greatly respected for that. Not saying I don't find it uncomfortable and annoying, and I'm not religious, but it doesn't hurt to be respectful and even consider what they have to say if you have the time to spare.

I don't mind them really.
I have the same family each time that seems to focus on my road.
The lady usually comes to my door. I just smile and say sorry i'm not interested but thank you anyways. I wouldn't be rude. They are a damn site nicer than the 2 bully boys i had turn up from npower once, they forced themselves into my front room practically, really scary xx

I find a small 'no religious callers' sign quite effective. At my old place (a flat) a JW lady called while I was having a new bathroom fitted. My front door was open as the workmen were bringing stuff in and out. This lady unfortunately saw fit to walk uninvited into my living room.

I find that had little to do with religion per se, and more to do with the fact that she must have been a pretty intrusive person who thought it okay to just walk into someone's private dwelling.

I am pretty polite in general, and I was actually polite to this lady, but I made it understood that what she had just done was unacceptable and that it was a good job my husband wasn't home as she wouldn't have got off so lightly!

I have, in the past, found that a simple, 'no sorry, I'm not interested' has sufficed. When I had Lo, they were sometimes knocking whilst she was napping and waking her up. I put up the aforementioned sign and I've had no one call since.

I suppose they don't really bother me but knocking on my door isn't going to make me change my mind about religion and I always simply tell them I'm not interested, I can find them to be pushy sometimes which just makes me feel awkward as I don't want to seem rude.

Errrgghh I hate people coming to my door because I just can't say no to them! They start off with a whole speech about their cause and I haven't got it in me to tell them to go away :lol: End up stood at my door for ageeees and it's just super awkward.

That goes for religious people, charity workers, salesmen, everyone. God knows how many times i've been signed up for things and had to ring up and cancel it the next day :dohh:

Also hate it when people think 8-10pm is an acceptable time to doorknock. My baby is in bed, you will feel my wrath you wake her up :grr:

My OH falls for it EVERY weekend, they come a knocking and I always take the pee afterwards saying "hahaha did u not learn from last week.. when it knocks IGNORE IT"

He usually tells them to go away straight away, but last time the man had a small child with him (around 7 ish) and the 7 year old was actually "reading" the leaflet and it was taking him ages (because he was 7 lol) and my oh didn't have the heart to tell him to shut up

So he listened... told him he did a great job of reading and then told the dad "thanks but no thanks"

I find the whole thing socially painful, as someone who struggles with even using a shop till because there is a stranger behind it this is a huge overstep... and as such it makes me not want to open my door :(

I never answer the door! We have a no cold caller sticker on the door and it works!

I haven't had any at our new house, we used to have the occasional one at our old one. We didn't use the front door, only the garage door. The only people who went to the front door were JWs. We had a dresser on the other side of the door (we used that hall for storage...) so we couldn't answer the door....

I hate it when people come to the door though here, we get a lot of salespeople. It's not the knocking that wakes the baby, it's the dog going crazy because there is a strange person at the door....

We moved from out in the boonies to a neighborhood, and I was quite shocked at the amount of door to door solicitors we have had since we moved. It makes me want to move back to the boonies next time!

i hate anyone I don't know calling at the door-sales men, charity workers or Jehovah witnesses, I generally don't answer it unless I know who it is ( i suffer with severe anxiety so this is a big part of it-sometimes it so bad I dont answer the phone either) we are getting a new door soon its all wooden bar a small window to high at the top to see through, with a spy hole, so i will be using this before i answer the door!

EDIt we have a no code calling but when i told a charity worker who knocked at our door, he said it didnt apply to him as he wansnt selling anything!

xxx

I can't cope with anybody knocking on our door! I look really young so I jus tell them my mum isn't in :rofl: always works! I find the loft insulation people the worst!

OH loves it, he runs to answer the door - he has a full on debate with them :dohh: he knows a lot about different religions and stuff (unlike me) so he tends to get into heated discussions with them!

I dont mind it. Although im not religious its interesting hearing others beliefs and the magazines can be interesting. I wasent impressed by the one guy who came christmas eve telling me i was wrong for celebrating christmas, fine you believe that but dont want to hear about it for half an hour christmas eve. They also said about blood been given which saved both my parents and i have given blood. Again i respect the belief but some people need to learn tact lol. I supose at end of day they see they are doing you a favor by trying to save our souls

My mum always reads watch tower because she says she has never found a typo in it haha. She always notices that sort of thing. She says it impresses her so much she has to keep reading to try and find one! Not something I would notice lol.

Thankfully ive only had them once or twice at my house and they just gave me a leaflet when i said i was catholic but they were so bad when i lived at home, they would always stick their foot or a child on the door frame so you couldnt close it which i think is shocking to do if they are meant to be doing good!

I had some literally corner me in a street when I was having a sly cig, oh dear god, I could barely get them away.
I dont like the way they cannot accept you arent interested, forcing you to be rude to them

They pee me off. Last time two old dears came to my door and tried to give me a leaflet - their passing comment was ''It may be too deep for you though dear''. The cheek!

Eurgh, I hate anyone knocking my door. The line I hate the most is "All of your new ours have been very generous and have donated, so why can't you?"

And I know my neighbours haven't, I ask them! Haha.

Can believe you invite them in :o

I don't mind it really. Mostly I don't find them forceful. Occasionally I invite the mormons in, I quite like chatting to them. But if they were rude and tried to force a belief on me, I wouldn't like it. I'm interested in religion but my beliefs aren't going to be changed.

Oooh i answer the door and have a chat, i tell them that im Muslim which for some reason makes the challenge for them even more desirable to try and 'change' me.

I find all religions fascinating so always listen and give them a bit of time, after all there not doing any harm.

My brothers hilarious when they knock at his door, he flips it round and ends up giving them some literature from our local mosque and they always happily take it and say they'll have a read.

Its just about mutual respect and understanding at the end of the day, we all have our own beliefs and essentially the main ethos to them all is be good and do good.

I don't find it "rude" because it isn't something they are doing to be inconvenient but because it is part of their faith and they believe they are supposed to preach, they don't see themselves as doing anything wrong. I would only find it rude if they were rude to me or said insensitive things, but I have to say the only time Jehovah Witnesses have come to my door they have been polite. There are some lovely JWs on this forum so I hope people keep it polite and remember this forum is full of people from all backgrounds, one bad experience doesn't represent a whole faith :flower:

This is a great post - JWs genuinely think they are doing something good so I think it's pretty rude to be snappy with them. It only takes a minute to politely say you are busy, didnt realise people get so enraged about answering the door!

Where I live now I have never had a JW, but in my old house one came to the door and it was during a period when I was coming to terms with the fact that my son was disabled, he read out a passage to me that spoke volumes and I really related to it, I was sobbing on his shoulder, I don't think he knew what the hell to do :haha:

I don't mind them usually. OH's dream came true when they finally came knocking when he was at home and he got to invite them in! They came back every week for a month and they had some great discussions and covered a lot of topics. OH is really good at talking to non-Muslims about religion anyway so I think that helped, but they stopped coming eventually because they realised they weren't going to covert him, he was probably more likely to convert them cos their arguments were a bit rubbish. They would agree with him about things, then realise that wasn't actually what they're supposed to believe and then back-track :rofl:.

The only thing that annoys me is that they don't seem to talk to one another. When we had these two guys coming round every week, other JWs would still come to the door to chat - they had no idea that somebody else was already visiting. Perhaps they should sort that out, or maybe we need a sign :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->