jahovas witnesses knocking on peoples doors

I had an interesting experience. Two women came to my door and I answered not knowing who it was. I immediately recognized them as JW and tried to tell them that I am Christian and not interested. When my front door is open, one of my living room walls is exposed and I have a cross on that what and the bible verse " Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

One lady started talking about the verse and then started quoting more scripture. I politely finished the scripture she was trying to quote and once again told her I was a follower of Christ and didn't agree with the message of the JW church. She asked me what I believed specifically and so I told her that I believed I had been saved by grace and Jesus's work done on the cross.

At this point things got very strange. The lady that had been talking to me ( the other woman remained mostly silent after exchanging pleasantries) leaned in, looked me directly in the eyes and said " So you think you're set then?". I knew she was referring to my salvation and I told her confidently "absolutely". The way she said it though was truly my hairs stand on end...

Hmm some people arent overly tactful. Its just their personality. No one should be made to feel uncomftable like that. Your views and beliefs should be respected.

Can i ask do you believe that all you have to do is believe in Jesus and you are saved?

One of my friends grew up as a JW. I have a lot of opinions about the way she was forced to live her life, and I won't post them all here in case it was just her family's experience and not representative of the faith as a whole.

One thing I'll say is that they are very persistent. When I lived in Korea, I had Korean JWs come to my door to preach. I'm white, blonde and can't speak any Korean (I do know enough to say "no thank you" however) and despite my limited language skills, and obvious attempts to close the door, they still wanted to spend time talking to me. :)

Just wanted to say that my husbands mother is a JW and he was never forced in to anything, he has never practised in any religion and was always free to make his own choices. She celebrated Christmas and their birthday's etc. Pretty similar experience for my brother's best friend, he did follow the religion but was free to celebrate Christmas, Easter, birthdays and the like.

I guess there are extreme people in any religion but it is usually not the majority.

That's why I didn't want to say anything and paint the religion as a cult when it may have just been that particular group. My friend wasn't allowed to do anything outside of the jw faith. No hobbies, no friends that weren't jws, and she never celebrated Christmas or her birthday until she was un her 20s and her family had left the faith.

I just *CANT* get it, I really cant. I never feel like my questions are answered properly:(

I just *CANT* get it, I really cant. I never feel like my questions are answered properly:(

Sometimes there just aren't rational answers and explanations, religion isn't science, if you have a religion you have faith and that faith usually involves accepting something bigger than yourself that can't always be explained in words or the world as we know it, you just "feel" what you believe and believe what you are guided in, I guess a leap of faith, trying to rationally get that across to people who don't have a faith is going to be difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->