Jaundice

K

KiansMummy

Hey just wondered if anyones babies have had jaundice? My little one was born last Friday 5 weeks prem he has been doing really well, got the feeding cracked and he's been putting on weight, he'd been really sleepy though and lathargic from yesterday morning anyway the midwife came to visit today and said he looked a bit yellow so he had a blood test done and came back he had jaundice at quite a high level so we have been readmitted to hospital for him to have photo therapy! Just wondering if anyone elses little ones have had if and how long they have had to be under the lights for and how long it's take for baby to recover fully?? Im so worried for him its horirble seeing him in the incubator under all the lamps Thanks xx

My LO had it quite a bit when she was in hospital but was never under the lights for more than a day, it was usually 12 hours they put her under for.

She was a little jaundice coming home but they said to keep an eye on her and she has been ok.

Hope your LO makes a speedy recovery! :)

my son was almost 2months premmie and had really bad jaundice, he didn't need transfusion thankfully but did need to be on billy blanket for a while, even have pictures from early days of him on it, he looked like little glow worm :D but he did grow out of it after some help and year on full iron, i was the same and was full term, sometimes its more to do with the mother and such than gestation although of course premmies are more prone to these things, they should be able to give you loads of advice and alot of full term babies have it bad too :D i have condition called Rhesus sensitvity where my blood attacks my son's red blood cells so when he was born his were low he was refered to as what they call a "blue baby" don't know why but had to do with the fact i was negitive blood group and he was positive and how my body effected him, really broke my heart but he's a little fighter, he is now over 3 and terrible eater and suspected Autism and OCD but that has nothing to do with th jaundice so wouldn't worry yourself at all xxx

Dont panic, its normal. Alex was under them a fair bit!

My baby was born just over 6 weeks premature and got a bit jaundiced after about a week. He had to go under the lights for about 24 hours but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. He quite liked it under the light and was stretched out like a little sunbather. Also the nurses were quite happy to turn the lights off for a bit so that I could get him out for a cuddle and then put him back under.

After a day, his levels had gone right down so he didn't need the light therapy anymore but he remained a bit jaundiced for the next couple of weeks. They did regular blood tests and warned me that he might have to go back under but in the end he was fine and didn't need anymore treatment.

Although the jaundice makes babies a bit lethargic and gives them a funny colour, I don't think that it hurts them at all. Thomas has been home for a couple of weeks now and his colour now is pretty much normal but it does take a while for the jaundiced look to disappear.

Good luck and I hope your little one is back home with you soon. x

Hi there,

My daughter was boarderline jaundice when she was born, the hospital gave her 18 hours on the light and then further 6 hours monitoring. the reason she had !8 hours was they wanted her to be over 3 cubes below the line on the chart. Iam breastfeeding so after every feed I had to top her up with formula - 20 to 30ml to flush her kidneys. She has also been perscribed folic acid with a follow up appt to check if she is aneamic.

everything will be ok!xx

Andrew had about 24 hours of light therapy when he was on the unit. We got some cute photos of him wearing the eye shades!

Sophie was jaundiced a few days after she was born and was under the lamp for 12 hours at a time I think. She was only ever under it that first week and was fine after.

My lo was jaundiced quite a bit for the first week and was under the light for most of it.

My BIL little girl was full term and went back into hospital for 24 hours for light therapy at a couple of days old due to jaundice. Afterwards she was totally fine.

Mikayla was very jaundiced - transfusion level. She was 7 weeks early and it came on when she was 2 weeks old. She had lots of treatments over 4 days and was treated with iron afterwards to.
She is completely healthy now at 18 months old :flower:

Emma and your LO sound very similar- same situation. We left the SCBU but were readmitted at 8 days old when she had lost considereble amount of her body weight. She was under the lights for 24 hours and then gained enough to be let out again. We had to go back to be checked out at SCBU several times after this as she was very yellow for a long time but the tests always came back. We were told eventually that they thought it was breastmilk jaundice. Emma never needed any follow up treatment but it was really about 9 or 10 weeks before she wasn't yellow!

Abby was jaundiced for about a week. I think the lamps were on her for four days.

Even my brother born at 37 weeks had jaundice. I can't remember seeing any of the incubators in our unit without the lamps at one point or other, so it would appear to be entirely normal.

my little guy had jaudice he stayed under the light for about 24h it is very common in premie and term babies so please dont worry he will be home with you in no time

Ethan was a month early and on billi blanket and under 2 lamps for 4.5 days - he's totally fine now. Never forget our night trips down to neo and driving past his room - the one with the blue light shining from the window x

https://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z146/LazLLM/16.jpg

Thanks for all the advice Kian seemed to enjoy it under the lamps he was right chilled like he was sunbathing, he was under for about 36 hours and is fine now and we came home yesterday xxhttps://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/jazzyjess20/d3f448e3.jpg

Hee hee I love your pic! He looks well happy and chilling out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->