Job interview advice.

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
So on my quest to find a job I keep getting asked the same question by both recruitment agents or by potential employers.

Which is 'Why am I apply for said role when it is clearly a step back from any previous jobs I have had?'

Every time I have no idea how to answer this - any ideas??

To give a bit of background my last role was as an assistant manager for a bank, I didn't manage staff but I did manage accounts/clients I was working in the center of London and earning around the 30k mark.

The jobs I am applying for are all in a town outside London - closer to home, are in the earning bracket of £16-£20k and all general admin/office related roles requiring only computer skills.

Why am I applying for these - few reasons, firstly because there are no banking jobs, the market is flooded with people like me following all the big banks making so many people redundant. Secondly I would love to stay in finance but as I have a young family I have to be realistic that I cannot commit to the 50+ hrs a week + commute required to survive in that world.
So as finance is out I cant expect to walk into another industry earning any thing similar or with similar sort of skill level (again I have tried insurance, pension, even sales but they wont look at me unless i have previous experience of that exact role - and why would they when there 0000's of other people).

So I am left with admin.

Sorry rambling on - but really could do with some input from others, what would you say/expect to hear??

Thanks

I have applied for and interviewed for jobs that are well below what I am currently doing and my education is for. Unfortunately, I didn't get any, but there is still hope.

Simply, I want to take a step back. I have a family and other important things in my life. I am at a place financially where I can ease up without hurting, and I'd just rather have less stress in my life.

According to the person I talked to at the employment agency, they had a lot of people going for less pay and less work, because people get stressed. They need a break, or to lessen the workload. Life is more than just work.

I think you just have to be honest with them. Say you'd love to stay in finance but as that isn't ideal for you right now admin is still something that interests you and fits in better with your life right now.

^ yeah I would say it's about work/life balance and that your circumstances make the type of job you're applying for far more ideal than the one you used to be in.

Mainly they'll be concerned that you'd only want the job as a stopgap and move on the minute a higher paying one came your way so demonstrate reasons that wouldn't be the case iykwim

You said it yourself: "I would love to stay in finance but as I have a young family I have to be realistic that I cannot commit to the 50+ hrs a week". Emphasise how much you love finance and what it is about it and then be honest that your previous roles were too much with your altered priorities. Best to be honest.

Completely agree with the others. Be honest, let them know you are still interested in finance, but are looking for something less demanding than what you did before, as you are looking for more balance between family/work. I think the main reason they ask that of someone with higher education is to gauge whether they think you are only applying as a stepping stone, trying to have a job just until something better comes along. If that's NOT the case, be honest, let them know why you are interested in the shorter work week, less stressful job, etc.

cheers guys. had an interview this morning for a nhs admin role...the job couldnt be more boring but it close and money ok. Should find out later today.

Well didnt get the job. According to the feed back it seems I was meant to state the obvious. Oh well seems you can be over qualified for something.

I hate that too, not getting a job because you are overqualified. Makes me regret going to so much school and getting professional licensures if they won't let me have a simple job with it.

I have done exactly that and managed to get a job that I love at the end of it. There is hope!
I did my teacher training, worked for a year as a teacher then decided I hated it. Had a few years as a sahm and then applied to be a teaching assistant. I was just completely honest about why I was 'taking a step back'. It's just too big a commitment when you have a young family, to work 50+ hours.
I do believe that honesty is the best policy. Good luck! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->