Job interview tomorrow...need advice!

Ashley8806

Reaction score
Okay so I just graduated from dental hygiene school, and finally got an interview tomorrow! My only question is, do I tell them I'm pregnant at my interview or wait until I (hopefully) get the job?

Ohhh, its a hard one but i think at this stage you would have to tell them... maybe if you were still in first tri i would think differently.

yeah I'm showing yet I'm not... i'm very overweight so it just looks like i put on a few extra pounds lol especially if i'm wearing a loose shirt.... I don't want to start off on a bad foot if i don't tell them but also don't want to not get the job because i'm pregnant.... AHHH I don't know :(

I just got a new job and I haven't yet told them that I'm pregnant. (The job is in a different state and I haven't moved yet - I'll tell them over the phone when the paperwork is finalized.) The advice I received was to keep the information to myself until after I'd been offered the job to keep it from being considered during the interview process. They're legally not allowed to consider family status in the US when making their selection, but once it's out there you can't take it back in. If they like you and want to keep you around, and a couple months of maternity leave is nothing in the grand scheme. I hire a lot of people and I wouldn't be upset if someone told me they were pregnant after I offered them a job. I would keep mum for the time being as you are not obligated to tell them and they are should make the most neutral decision possible.

it's a hard call, I think you should just keep it to yourself and if nothing else just tell them as soon as you are officially hired "Oh I can't remember if I mentioned......." as though it's no big deal. That way they can't let you go for it. Hard call especially at this stage, let us know what you decide but most importantly, GOOD LUCK!! :D

tell them it would be so unfair to mislead them,say ull come back to work after few wks andd u may get the job x

No don't tell them, they are not allowed to discriminate but they will.

x

i would see how the interview goes, if you are able to relate to the interviewers and you feel as though you are building up a rapor, i would mention it at the end when they ask you if there are any questions. just be honest and say, thank you for the opportunity to come in today, i have enjoyed visiting the premises and as i really hope to be sucessful and start off on a good note, i want to be honest with you and let you know i am pregnant, leave it at that and if they ask you about it, be honest.

if it's going a bit ropey or there is a dogey interviewer, say nothing and just wait and see.

my sister in law got hired as a dental nurse when she was 5 months pregnant, she had turned down a job at a local practice as she had hated the dentist and they got called for this interview, she wasn't really showing and as she got on well with the staff, she was honest and started the following week, 8 years, and 2 more kids later she is still there.

good luck

first Congrats on school! second i had an interview last week and I'm obviously showing and Wobbling because of my swollen feet, but i didn't mention it. i later found out they are trying to hire me for the job! i was surprised! when i talked to one of the interviewers i said you Guy's do know I'm expecting? he laughed and said yeah we saw the baby waving at us! LOL! he told me that legally they can't discriminate but i wouldn't mention it unless you know that while Cleaning you'll be exposed to different chemicals that's not so safe for your lo. just make sure you always wear your p.p.e and good luck!

I was supposed to go for a job interview in March but felt ill on the morning of the interview so called them to tell them I couldn't make it, also telling them that I was pregnant. They were still really keen to reschedule but I was offered a promotion at my current job that afternoon (which guarenteed my SMP). I would be honest with them and mention it at the end of the interview, especially as you are a couple of weeks into second tri. Good luck at the interview.

You legally dont have to say anything till 24/25 wks in the UK, i see your in the US and if your not planning on taking long on maternity leave then i wouldnt tell them

thanks everyone - I'm planning on taking the usual 6 weeks here for maternity leave. And it's a part time position, like 2 days a week, so it's not like they would need to find someone full time to replace me. I think I'm going to keep it quiet, see how the interview goes, and go from there. If they offer me the job today, I may mention it, or wait for paperwork first, I'm not sure. I don't want to mislead them, but when I was pregnant with my daughter I interviewed for probably 15 dental assisting positions, telling them all I was pregnant, and never got any of the jobs, so I know it does make an impact. Thank you for everyones opinions!

Good luck - hope it goes well :)

I was in the same situation in March... went on an interview at 4 months prego.. but I waited til the end of the interview (sold myself & my skills first) before I told my interviewer. I got the position!

But in all honesty, there are ppl who won't hire someone who is pregnant. They feel like they will be losing someone for 6-12 weeks for maternity leave in the near future. But my interviewer did not mind at all & actually saw it as a blessing for my family. Besides, he said any one of his female employees could become pregnant at any moment. So what was the difference?

It's all up to you. But legally you do not have to mention it at all.

6 weeks off? I would hope that wouldn't be a deal breaker...but could see it might affect your chances...I might wait if I were you and tell them after you got it!
I'm in Canada, so it might be a bit trickier as we're off for a whole year!

No don't tell them, they are not allowed to discriminate but they will.

x

I would worry about this, as well. Since it's just an interivew, that should be only about your ability. Once you're offered the job, you will have to meet with them about benefits, etc. That's when you should bring it up.

well 2 days per week and ur only taking 6 weeks off dont see big deal
Here u can take upto a year so thats bit different
x

Hi hun, Im afraid Id tell them. Although you dont have to tell an employer till 24 weeks as someone else pointed out, if you have an accident there or something happens and you havent told them, it looks bad. They should do a risk assessment on you to cover themselves, you and baby. To not tell them would be cheating you and them GOOD LUCK.
X

I would tell them after you got the job that way they can't turn you down for being preg i know they're not allowed to but as someone said they do, good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->