Jon and Kate Plus 8

I watch it. She's a little nuts. I remember one episode, she didn't let anyone walk on a hotel room floor. She thought it was too gross. She is a little too organized, and a tad bossy, and I think she patronizes her husband frequently. Her husband seems to put up with her BS tho, so I guess they make a great couple. I watch it, but, honestly, I don't really agree with putting your wee ones on international television, even if it does give free hair inplants, and a tummy tuck-not to mention all the other perks and $$$. The kids have no choice, and no privacy. I kind of feel they are being violated. This is their home life, KWIM? Anyways, that is them, and this is me.

I know what you mean, but when the kids grow up and they have alot of money to roll around in and a good homelife i think they will understand, i mean it cant be cheap raising 8 children in a country where there is no child tax credit system and it all is based on income, im not sticking up for them i just see both point of views, it is a little insane to say the least to put ur lil ones on the big screen but saying that have you sen that ''charlie bit my finger'' youtube video, they are the most famous and most viewed video in the world them parents have had thier children on the news and everything yet nobody critisizes them and they even state where they live, well not the road name but to me all seems a lil out there, rant over haha x

I watch it. She's a little nuts. I remember one episode, she didn't let anyone walk on a hotel room floor. She thought it was too gross. She is a little too organized, and a tad bossy, and I think she patronizes her husband frequently. Her husband seems to put up with her BS tho, so I guess they make a great couple. I watch it, but, honestly, I don't really agree with putting your wee ones on international television, even if it does give free hair inplants, and a tummy tuck-not to mention all the other perks and $$$. The kids have no choice, and no privacy. I kind of feel they are being violated. This is their home life, KWIM? Anyways, that is them, and this is me.

I know what you mean, but when the kids grow up and they have alot of money to roll around in and a good homelife i think they will understand, i mean it cant be cheap raising 8 children in a country where there is no child tax credit system and it all is based on income, im not sticking up for them i just see both point of views, it is a little insane to say the least to put ur lil ones on the big screen but saying that have you sen that ''charlie bit my finger'' youtube video, they are the most famous and most viewed video in the world them parents have had thier children on the news and everything yet nobody critisizes them and they even state where they live, well not the road name but to me all seems a lil out there, rant over haha x

Well, maybe they will turn out OK (the kids) and I honestly hope they do, because they are so freaking adorable! But, let's see...according to Hollywood, how do most child actors (which is basically how they are growing up) deal with their fame and turn out? Hmmmm....I am worried for them. I sure do hope that they are OK tho...but, I just wouldn't do it, of course, I am speaking as someone who has never been in their position, and also I am from a very different country.

PS...no, I haven't seen the video that you mentioned, nor ever heard of it, but now that you mention it....no, I don't even go to youtube.

i see your point about the being televised thing, but at the same time, Jon and Kate made the decision because they needed a way to keep the memories without having time to tape or take all that many pictures. and, i don't think any of the kids have issues being on tv.. they love the camera!!!
but at the same time, look at the struggles they would have having 8 children, and only one parent making money. I think it's what they chose to try and better their children's lives.
I think it's one of those things that you just never know what it's like til you do it!

oh and the hotel floor thing - she's a germaphobe.. i don't think she can help that.

I'm not a fan of the show. I find it quite contrived and I also find it distasteful putting tiny children in front of a camera that early in their lives. I agree - where's their choice in the matter?
Sure, they are trying to pay for all the kids, but correct me if I'm wrong - they CHOSE to have that many kids, did they not?
In fact, I read that her choice to carry all six to term was very controversial, as apparently it puts all of the babies at very high risk. She was very lucky that all of them turned out healthy. I know it isn't an easy part of assisted fertility, but I believe that it is generally expected that you are supposed to choose the most likely to survive of all the embryos, so that the strongest have the best chance of normal development and healthy delivery.
So she chose to have six every step of the way.
No sympathy from me if life is chaotic.
I don't watch the show so I'm not sure about Maddie's behaviour, but I'm not surprised that there's at least one child acting out with seven others to compete with for her parents' attention. That's another side of having a huge family all at once that isn't necessarily positive. It's hard on kids to always have to share mum and dad with so many others.

Plus, it's not like they were on welfare. She was a nurse and he worked doing something...they may not have been rich, but I am sure they would have made it. Alright, alright...I have made my point. :)

very very true i agree completely with the whole it was dangerous to keep all the babies knowing full well that its life threatening to all it was a very lucky decision to make

To be honest I think the fact that she chose to have faith & keep all 6 should be applauded.

I don't think i'd be able to chose to get rid of a few of the 6. Isn't that called selective abortion? I just see it as saying one baby has more of a right to live than the other

Just my opinion :D

agreed but i dont think id have had that many eggs put in in first plc lol id be too scared

agreed but i dont think id have had that many eggs put in in first plc lol id be too scared

Same here!

I don't really understand things like IVF & stuff so my comment probably come out really crap lol

To be honest I think the fact that she chose to have faith & keep all 6 should be applauded.

I don't think i'd be able to chose to get rid of a few of the 6. Isn't that called selective abortion? I just see it as saying one baby has more of a right to live than the other

It certainly wouldn't be easy, but knowingly risking the health of all is just as questionable to me ethically.
It's a hard one to judge as it wasn't our decision to have to make.
I guess I just feel that playing any sort of "What a surprise! We have six more kids on the way!" card is pretty misleading. They very much chose the life they lead now.

It certainly wouldn't be easy, but knowingly risking the health of all is just as questionable to me ethically.
It's a hard one to judge as it wasn't our decision to have to make.
I guess I just feel that playing any sort of "What a surprise! We have six more kids on the way!" card is pretty misleading. They very much chose the life they lead now.

Yeh, I see what you're saying but I don't really think they are doing any damage by having there lives filmed. I've watched a few shows & think it's great. I also reckon it must be nice for someone expecting multiples to watch :D

I think i'm very much a waht will be will be kinda person so I couldn't go through a selective abortion but I wouldn't judge someone who would. It's a very personal choice. But like you pointed out going through with the pregnancy knowing the risks is questionable ethically but I do feel that I would rather nature take it's course than chose which ones to lose

Im just thankful I have never been in that position :D

I'm not a fan of the show. I find it quite contrived and I also find it distasteful putting tiny children in front of a camera that early in their lives. I agree - where's their choice in the matter?
Sure, they are trying to pay for all the kids, but correct me if I'm wrong - they CHOSE to have that many kids, did they not?
In fact, I read that her choice to carry all six to term was very controversial, as apparently it puts all of the babies at very high risk. She was very lucky that all of them turned out healthy. I know it isn't an easy part of assisted fertility, but I believe that it is generally expected that you are supposed to choose the most likely to survive of all the embryos, so that the strongest have the best chance of normal development and healthy delivery.
So she chose to have six every step of the way.
No sympathy from me if life is chaotic.
I don't watch the show so I'm not sure about Maddie's behaviour, but I'm not surprised that there's at least one child acting out with seven others to compete with for her parents' attention. That's another side of having a huge family all at once that isn't necessarily positive. It's hard on kids to always have to share mum and dad with so many others.

I was under the impression that they didn't choose to have that many kids? I thought it just happened or so I was under the understanding when they were talking about it on the show one episode.

they didn't choose to have six.. they were never expecting six babies..
there were actually 7, but one was lost.
and jon and kate are both religious, and i don't think it was something they were willing to do by selectively terminating any of those babies.

if they decided to terminate some, there would be just as many people on here thinking they were horrible for doing it!! so, i think they did what they felt was right to them!! all the power to them!!

they didn't choose to have six.. they were never expecting six babies..
there were actually 7, but one was lost.
and jon and kate are both religious, and i don't think it was something they were willing to do by selectively terminating any of those babies.

if they decided to terminate some, there would be just as many people on here thinking they were horrible for doing it!! so, i think they did what they felt was right to them!! all the power to them!!

They absolutely have the power to choose to have all six babies.
I am not contesting that at all.
But there was a choice involved. And it was a controversial choice in that there is a reason that selective reduction is so strongly advocated if hyperovulation is occurring. Medically, the risks to multiples are indisputably higher, particularly when that many embryos are involved.
Regardless of how one feels about abortion, Kate and Jon Gosselin chose to have fertility treatments (after already having one set of twins, the risks of having multiples should have been pretty clear to them), and they subsequently chose to carry out a very high risk pregnancy. If that was the end of it, I couldn't care less about these people. However,
they then proceeded to moan about how tough it is to have eight kids to raise and to stick their hands out ad nauseum to corporations, church groups, etc. for "support". That's where I find issue. Do you know that Kate Gosselin has been quoted saying that she feels that as society accepts fertility treatments, that society then has an obligation to help her raise her children? I find that a bit much.
I don't really care how many kids they have. I do care that children that young are being exploited by their parents for a reality TV series. Even CNN has done a piece on this family from that angle, so I'm not the only one to raise an eyebrow. I am also naturally very skeptical of reality TV shows. The "reality" of these shows is usually very contrived and I don't think this family is an exception.
And please know that I post this only as a part of a friendly debate/discussion. I'm not trying to start a war over the Gosselins or abortion or fertility treatments or anything like that! :)

gah!!! the babies r fine the mother is fine (looking good) and theyre happy, im not jealous at alll..............yeah right haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->