Juices/cordial advice please

cupcaker

Reaction score
I have got to 14 months with my son, and he's only had water in a sippy cup (and his milk).

He has a smashing diet, (eats nearly anything) really great with fruit, veggies etc so I'm pleased with the food side.

His nappies though (although daily) do seem pebbly, and somewhat similar to traits of constipation. I wondered if he is perhaps a bit dehydrated, as I'm struggling to see how it can possibly be diet related.

On a whim, I put in the tiniest dash of Robinsons cordial to his water yesterday and he easily took a cup of water there and then. He took two more cups in the day, drinking a lot more than usual. Whilst I apreciate some of that will have been the 'novelty' of something new tasting, I was also pleased that he was consuming much more water at the expense of such a small dash of juice.

If this does help out with hydration, is there a 'better' juice or cordial to use? I've done a quick search and many suggest a proper fruit juice mixed with the water, (orange or apple etc) but this seems an expensive way of doing things when it's not something we usually buy (and he will just be using small amounts of it). and "no added sugar" cordial types some people complain that in it's place is an artificial sweetner. And some say the baby ones are higher in sugar, because of the fruit juices so dont like that, but they contain less other junk.

What do you choose and why? Thnanks

Honestly, I wouldn't give my lo any of them. It's a slippery slope, just a splash of juice now but where's it end ya know? I'd offer water or wet foods more frequently if you think he's dehydrated

I asked something similar on another thread. Someone suggested fruit infused water. You can it the bottles and jugs off amazon. I tried it last night by cutting up some peaches and leaving it in her water overnight. I tasted it this morning and it's left a subtle fruit taste. She's drank loads already. You could just put in any left over fruit you have.

Personally, we don't do juices or cordials as I don't see a need for it. My daughter doesn't drink much water either, but it doesn't seem to bother her. If you do find that the added hydration helps his constipation, my first choice would be to use coconut water if he'll drink it, as it's the next best thing to water in terms of being lower in sugar and natural. But it's not cheap. If that's not something you want to spend money on, I'd go for a natural real juice and dilute it. I think it's better (in moderation and not all the time) than something with an artificial sweetener and artificial colours. I'd be inclined to say though that if he isn't thirsty enough to drink plain water, he's not dehydrated and probably doesn't need the juice/cordial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->