Jury duty almost 9 months pregnant??

Jcliff

Reaction score
WAHH i just got that letter in the mail everyone dreads. JURY DUTY. I am wondering if being almost 9 months pregnant is an excuse to get out of it?? If so, do I need a drs note or something? HELP. this is the LAST thing I feel like doing!!! :wacko:

It has to be. How could they risk it if it turns out to be a big trial and you can't go in because you're in labor? I'd just give them a call and ask them what you need to do. Probably get a doctor's note and mail it in or something.

I'm sure you can get out of it. Tell them you're almost full term and see what they say. If they make you come in, act like you're having contractions and have to go to the doc! :) Plus you'll be having doc appts every week here soon and can't miss those!

If jury duty would cause you or your family any undue hardship then you should be excused. In your case I say jury duty at 9 months pregnant would cause an undue hardship for sure!! On the jury duty letters I've received it provides a spot (sometimes on the back) to write your reason as to why you may not be able to perform your civic duty.

I got out of mine by whining about how my poor old car wasn't reliable enough to get me the 5 hour drive to the court house I was called to!

You can say that you're emotionally unbalanced and wouldn't be able to give a proper opinion. :p

I got out of jury duty because my wedding was a week after the summons date. If I can get out of it for that, I'd say that being 9 months pregnant should definitely get you out of it.

I live in NJ and I've gotten that letter about 6 times in the past 3/4 years! Last one I got was last month and I called up and told them I was pregnant. They asked me for a doctor's note and I was excused. I usually send them a letter stating that I work full time, missing work would cause undue financial hardship, and that I have a child to care for and they always let me off :flower:.

Last time I had to get out of jury duty I had a 3 month old baby that was nursing full time. I wrote them a letter telling them that she would have to accompany my to the courtroom so that her nursing schedule wasn't interrupted. They excused me poste haste...

You should be able get out of it being 9mnths!

I'd love to get called for Jury service! As long as it was something gritty like a murder ooooh

Being pregnant exempts you. Just call and talk to them.

In New York you are allowed one extension so call and get an extension. you will probably be called again in the next 6 months. I found out when I was pregnant last time that in NY they do not consider pregnancy a reason to get out of serving. Actually, there are very few reasons they will let you out of it.

I took my one free "extension" when I was 4 months pregnant because I was sick. I got called again at 8 months pregnant. I had to go. Good thing that no attorneys are going to pick someone 8 months pregnant to actually serve on a trial so I had to go in the first day and I was excused by both attorneys on the trial I was picked for.

I guess it's different in every state then because here in Florida being pregnant exempts you and having small children under the age of 6 that you care for exempts you

I got a letter back at 12 weeks pregnant - I photocopied my early scan with EDD on it and sent it in as evidence. Thy never got back so guess it was ok.

I got called for jury duty 3 years ago when I was newly pregnant, applied to get excused not because of that but because we were opening a new store and I didn't wanna miss out!! So I got excused, but did miss out on work because I had a mc :( so chances are wouldn't have been able to go to court anyway. Not been called up since

I found out being 9 months pregnant is a liability for them so they have to excuse me. yay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->