Just a rant. Feeling really disappointed.

fairygirl

Pregnant, 1 Angel, 2 Rainbows
Reaction score
So ladies nothing to do with babies, but I feel rubbish, having a really bad time with things messing up (the council tax, the toilet, Sky etc).

A couple of weeks ago I saw a lovely diamond ring on The Jewellery Channel for under £100. My OH and I had had many a discussion about how to save for an engagement ring and the more I thought about it the more I thought this one wasn't traditional but I liked it and it was a bargain. Only problem was it had to be taken down 6 sizes (tiny fingers)! So we went ahead and bought it and took it to a local jewellery repair. Great all done. Only when I took it home I noticed cracks and a few days later of only wearing it part time I noticed a scrape. So I took it to a different goldsmith this morning and he said it was ruined and I should take it back to the place who resized it as they did a terrible job and should fix it for free - needs a complete shank so basically only the setting will be original. So off I went, the original jeweller said this was nonsense and gold won't crack unless it's a fault in the metal and he explained to me in a very scientifically plausible way that as it was cheap the gold was honey-combed inside. But he also said it won't be affected by chemicals which I know to be untrue as chlorine will wreck jewellery (not necessarily the gold but the added bits that make it 14k) and accused me or the other jeweller of scraping the rhodium plate!

So here I am with a ring that needs a new shank and the setting will still be rubbish gold (if this is true and who knows how good the diamonds and setting are) and it will cost another £50 - £110. Not such a great deal huh. Considering this is meant to be a very important ring and signify the rest of our lives I feel extremely rotten!! Lesson learnt about shopping online.

Aw- my first ring was a problem too. My sweetie got it all wrong and we needed to have it fixed. It was a mess! Finally got everything straightened out and then a few years later we upgraded to a nicer ring! I think you should do the same. In a few years, have him spoil you to a something a bit more extravagant. As for the jeweler, he is responsible for fixing it. I would threaten him with a lawsuit just to get him to fix it. Good Luck!

Thanks, it was my friend who explained she got a cheaper ring til her hubby could afford it and the idea grew on me and being on school holidays I have spent too much time with the shopping channels! I don't really trust the place I got it resized at. At least where I got the second opinion I spoke to an actual goldsmith. Need to speak to OH but guess I'll take it there for repair.

Just to add insult to injury, I have Ben and Jerrys in the freezer, I was thinking of having some to cheer myself up, but then I remembered when we opened it last night it didn't taste right :( But I do need to eat and drink today..hmm what to have.:sulk:

Where you got it from...is there any garantee?? Can you call and say you had it resized but due to their cheap materials its now costing more than you bought the ring for??

:hugs:

You are having a crappy time but you have each other and thats far more important than any ring! I know no consolation but my mother always said you should marry the man not the ring....and a curtain ring would do. But yeah in a few years when your sorted for cash get an upgrade.

Emma.xx

I have emailed them, but I'm not holding my breathe. But I'm seeing my niece really soon so hopefully that'll cheer me up.

What shop did you get in from....have a look on their website you just never know. Its so disappointing but everything will work out.

Aww how old is your niece?

It was The Jewellery Channel on TV. She's 6 and just arrived.

awww hun :( that's not fair. I hope you manage to get it sorted xxx

sending some really big :hugs: so sorry you're having such a rough time xxx

I'm wondering if I can claim it off my credit card insurance... Apparently they automatically insure it for 50 days, I wonder if I can convince them it's accidental damage as no one will admit fault. Problem is I really want the ring!

Turns out what you read online isn't true. I just rang my credit card and they said I can speak to disputes, but they have no insurance to speak of. I thought most cards offered it. My OH is fed up of me looking grumpy. This is all really bad timing with my hormones being out of control and all.

MY ex was a cheap asshole. I mean, I loved my ring--it was beautiful (I still have it, but I don't wear it)....but it was silver and cubic. It needed to be cleaned once a day with Windex and a toothbrush. I had to get it resized and, because it was silver, it is all weird on the one side. I was really bummed.

I saw the ring I'l be getting on Saturday (I finally figured out the WHEN, i just can't figure out the HOW) and it is beautiful. It was his mother's. <3

Sounds wonderful. I had better news today, The Jewellery Channel are sending me a pre-paid envelope and are going to do there best to resolve this for me! Woo hoo

stupid blacksmiths:growlmad: My oh got me a gorgeous eternity ring in my size and everything and it was too big :( but we ordered some ring snugs off of ebay, and now fits like a charm and it's unlikely that i'll lose my ring easily. I hope you get your ring sorted :thumbup: i'm sure it'll all be fine and dandy in the end. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->