Just a wondering?

mrschapman2b

Reaction score
Hello,

I went to a chrsitening on Sunday and it got me thinking.

When you do have a baby are you going to get them christened?

You see my BIL2b and his wife christened their son but aren't actually religous at all, the only real time they've been in a church is when they got married 3 years ago.

We were thinking if we do get our precious :baby: We would have a naming ceremony instead, with Life mentors instead of God parents

Di x

Im getting my little girl christened in May.
Im having a real conscience struggle with it all at the moment.
Half my family are pagan,some are christians and my mum is an atheist.
Anyway my beliefs are kind of half christian,half pagan.In her room we do keep a little bag of herbs/precious stones and a little candle that my pagan aunty cast a spell over and blessed her with.
But we decided to get her christened aswell more because the church we're getting her christened in means a lot to me and I know it will mean a lot to the older relatives to have her christened.

I used to be religious, I was brought up in a god fearing religion, but no longer believe in it. I struggle with a faith or belief in anything now. I wont have a christening for any of my children, for the same reasons that I didnt get married in a Church, that I dont know if i believe in God and dont want to force a belief on them. If they want to believe in God then they can choose to do so when they are old enough.
I would have a Naming Party instead and have sort of Godparents but they would be a special aunty and uncle!
Thats just my personal opinion, I am a godmother to my friends daughter, and I believe in the responsiblities of such a role, but not the taking them to church bit lol. x

I wouldnt have a christening since me and my OH are both atheist and I strongly believe in letting someone choose weather or not they are part of a religion, no matter how small a part that may be. If they decide when they are old enough to understand what a christening means that they want one then I will be glad to, but I dont think someone else should make that choice for them? I would have a naming ceremony though, I like the idea of that.

x

We will be having a christening in the same church that me, my three brothers and my two cousins were, where my grandads funeral was held, and my aunties wedding - so it really is a family church and I want my child to be welcomed in to the world in the same way.

Hi, i've had the same discussion with my dh, i'm a catholic although i can't remember the last time i went to church, other than for a christening or wedding! My dh is an athiest. Religion is very much an adult choice and everyone has their own views, however one aspect to consider is schools!

In the area where I live the best schools are catholic, so after much persuasion my dh has agreed to have a catholic christening, that way we'll have more choice with regard education.

I'm not at all religious, but must say that I found as a little girl I enjoyed going to catholic schools as it was nice to feel part of gods family so to speak! LOL

:hug:

No. I don't believe in forcing a religion on someone before they even know how to make up their own mind. OH is an atheist, I'm a Unitarian Universalist/VERY (EXTREMELY) loosely Christian....like... I believe there *might* be a God....maybe. Screw that.

That said, I've tried the whole "super-Christian" thing....I hated it. I was actually scheduled to be baptized on the night before Easter this year, bu tI pulled out because I don't believe in what it means. I wear a cross 24/7....but I am starting to think it's more out of habit. I wanted so badly to just blindly follow like some people do....but I just can't bring myself to join a religion that hates gays (I'm bi) and condemns the Right to Choose.

That said, if it works for you, great. Knock yourself out.

(sorry if that came off kinda rough...in a mood today, thanks to my *fantastic* family)

If we did, it would only be for my parents who are uber-strict nazi Catholics. My OH was also raised Catholic, but in a much more relaxed kind of way, so neither of us feels the need to christen our children.

Yes, definately. Neither myself or OH are practising Catholics but we have both been Christened, made our First Holy Communion and our Confirmation and we like the fact that should we want to be, that our parents put the first parts in place for us. We were then left to choose which road we wanted to take.

We both agree that this is how we would like to be with our children, and we also think it is a beautiful way to welcome them into the world.

I would never say someone was right or wrong for doing or not doing though, everyone has their own beliefs, feelings and wants and what is right for one isn't for another.

xxx

No we won't have any future children christened. Hubby and I didn't even get married in church - we had a nice civil ceremony in my local Town Hall.
I DO like the thought of 'god-parents' though. Hubby is an only child and I lost my only brother 3 years ago, so any children we have will have no aunts or uncles.
I think we would probably go down the Civil Naming Ceremony route and have Gaurdians instead of God-Parents.

My baby (babies?) will always have someone safe to go to besides us, I just don't think that "god parents" make it worth it for me and mine.....plus....isn't anything having to do with the church usually expensive?

I'm definitely going to get my children Christened. I don't think it's forcing a religion, I'll never insist my kids grow up to be Christians, but I'm a Christian and I would like my children to have the same upbringing I did within the church - I think I benefited from it.

It's strange how things are different now. I didn't go to a church school but Christenings were talked about in primary school and if you hadn't been Christened it was very strange. It's not the norm any more though is it? Each to their own anyway x

Il have my kids baptised, i was raised catholic but it was never forced upon me. You know jen that a lot of the symbols in a christian baptism are linked to pagan ones aswell such as the water to wash away sins and the candle that means something im not sure of lol but can be linked to paganism

No I won't, neither of us are religious and we didn't get married in church, we will be having a naming ceremony tho x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->