just an off topic rant about life ...

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Okay, so recently my parents have offered to help us to get a mortgage on our first home (yey!) and we have been looking at a few. I have been looking more towards the lower end of our budget, as it is our first ownership and I don't want to stretch ourselves. My partner is looking at houses which are DOUBLE the price which I am looking.
We calculated our finances, and we will be accepted for a mortgage even for the more expensive houses, however I just want to be cautious and start small, even just for a year or two before going for our forever home.
Anyway, the fairest way to deal with this is to view a variety of houses and see if there are any we fall in love with. We viewed our first house today, which is meant to be an exciting experience, and my parents came with us as they are ultimately the ones backing it. My partner knew they were coming, so I didn't exactly spring it on him.
It was a middle aged man selling his mothers house, and yes, it was a bit of a "granny flat" and really not what we are looking for, but instead of being polite and walking round with us, my boyfriend went straight out the back garden and stood! How rude can you be?!?
When we got back in the car, I explained the etiquette of home viewing to him, and he flew off the handle. He has now stormed off in the car somewhere, so it is safe to say I am fuming!

Also, earlier in the day he spoke to his parents about the situation, who told him that we would be paying £700 per month on a mortgage, which is nonsense as my mum and dad asked whilst in the bank and were quoted a maximum of £400 for our details!
It is really frustrating because he is looking at houses at the top of our budget, yet complaining about the monthly cost - obviously going for the top end of our budget is going to cost more!
To make it more frustrating, even if it was £700 per month, it is still affordable for us so I don't see what his issue is.

Sorry about the rant, I just needed to vent a bit.

its ok, sometimes you just need to vent!
it sounds like your husband isnt really thinking logically about the situation.. especially as you will be bringing a baby into your lives soon and god know they arent cheap!
even if you look at just houses at the lower end of your budget you will eventually find a house you love it will just take more effort!
good luck xx

Hiya,

My husband and I bought our flat last year, it is difficult when parents are giving you help towards your deposit as they feel their opinion is then valid, but it's not them who will be living there! My parents and DH parents advice was very different and I think it's because where we live (and DH parents and the time) is a little bubble which seems to have escaped the recession whereas my parents live in an area with no industry and therefore houses are just not selling.

I fully recommend you visit a mortgage provider, be it a mortgage adviser in your estate agents or in your local bank. They can give you an agreement in principal (they credit score you so you know as long as the property is ok, ie of standard construction, the mortgage will go through ok). Are you renting just now? Mortgage providers like to see that you would be able to pay a mortgage eg paying rent for 12 months, or putting aside monthly savings around the amount your mortgage payment would be. This is not always critical if you have a larger deposit set aside. It may be 'referred' but don't panic about that, it's very common, especially with first time buyers.

It's such a relief to know that you can go and view houses and if you really like them you can just shove an offer in (if you are england it might be different, we are scotland) and maybe get your dream home
:happydance::happydance:

I would say if I was buying again I would buy a house I would want to stay in long term as we bought a flat before and tried to sell it before I got pregnant. We still own that first flat and rent it out as we just couldn't sell it. We were lucky that we were able to scrape a deposit to buy the flat we live in now without selling the first one but in hindsight I wish we had just rented until we could afford our forever home.

Men can be asses sometimes lol. Just take his rant with a pinch of salt and correct him when he makes a false sentence about it. He should just be grateful ur parents are helping u, not many ppl are in such a great position xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->