Just back from the doctor...

Lisa2701

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My hubby and I have been TTC for 13 months now. AF had been coming regularly until September and then in September i got a BFP, a couple of days later i got a BFN and then a couple of days after that I got a visit from AF, and it was a nightmare, VERY painful, heavy and lasted 4 weeks. Anyway, Since then i haven't had a visit from AF at all so today I spoke to the doctor about it, so she's going to give me a blood test to check my hormone levels and that i am ovulating. She says if i am not there is something she can give me. I am not entirely sure how I feel about the thought i might not be ovulating. My blood test is next monday and then I'll have to wait to get the results but i already feel really nervous about it. Does anyone know what they'd give me to help if i Am not ovulating? i'd like to look into the different types of things they're likely to offer me before I get the results so i can make an educated decision about what to do.

Thanks everyone :hugs:

Lisa xx

Hi lovey,

I can identify because I have recently learned that I am not ovulating after blood tests.

What they give you depends on what is causing the lack of ovulation - in my case it is a mixture of coming off the depo 8 months ago and also having an overactive thyroid. So for me, thyroid medication should help me to start ovulating again.

I am guessing that they are testing your thyroid, because both over and underactive thyroid dysfunction can cause problems with ovulation. If this turns out to be the cause, simply taking tablets to get your thyroid back in to touch will be enough to get things going again.

They will probably also be testing your testosterone and insulin to rule out polycystic ovaries - if this is the cause, again you take tablets to get you back on track and they will probably suggest things like diet and exercise to help it along.

They will probably check your FSH levels too to rule out ovarian failure - DO NOT PANIC over this one, since you recently had a chemical pregnancy there is little to no chance this is the cause. However, it will put your mind at rest because this is the only thing they can't help with - anything else they can.

If they can't find a cause or if they can but you don't seem to start ovulating again, they can give you something like clomid to help you. Quite often, ladies with ovulation problems start ovulating again themselves after one course of it

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. i hope you thyroid medication gets things happening for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

In my case it won't be thyroid as I've had that tested last year for weight and health issue's i have, i was also having problems with my periods back then too ( it was constant but light for a couple of months) so they thought thyroids might be causing that. Then things went back to normal :shrug:.

polycystic ovaries wouldn't overly surprise me to be honest as i have a lot of the symptoms of that.

I actually I thought I'd be relieved if they said they'd investigate and could help if there is anything cause my aunt has fertility problems but they won't help her due to her weight and I too suffer weight issue's so was expecting to be told to just go away and loose weight so i am surprised I feel so anxious about the fact they are willing to help if there is a problem. oh TTC is not an easy process is it.

No it's not hon - it actually seems to stink to be honest!

I had blood tests done on my thyroid just September last year and they were fine. Now I have been diagnosed following another test. It is still possible that you could suffer from a thyroid issue. It's a slow acting illness and it can take a while for the hormone levels to reach the warning bell threshold. But if it is that, it really is very easy to sort out.

I've struggled with weight all of my life too hon and used to be a size 30. I'm now a 16 and still working on it. They can be funny about helping you if you're very overweight but usually, not if you show them that you've made an effort with it.

If you do have PCOS, or if your lack of ovulation (if thats even the case) is caused by weight gain, losing just 10% of your weight will dramatically improve things naturally - and doctors will be more likely to push things for you.

If it is PCOS though, the medication they give you should help you lose weight anyway. They wont refuse to treat that just because you're large - being overweight is a symptom of it, not the cause.

OMG WELL DONE on your weight loss that's fabulous :thumbup:.

I am a size 26 and have been for a few years now, I've managed to change my diet enough to stop gaining weight i just can't get it going down now. i have had my thyroid tested several times in my life, and I have been told that when I get tested I am very close to it being under active but just not enough they can give me anything to help. :cry: . The doctors are trying to help me with weight loss but its been a long road (the NHs don't do anything quickly LOL) and also I am physically disabled and my little boy is disabled (not linked) so exercise can be difficult both physically and finding the time LOL. Its lovely to come across someone who understands, some people can be sooo judgemental when your larger. Thank you :hugs:

They may give you some progesterone tablets to induce AF. The one I was prescribed was Norethisterone which I took 3 tabs/day for 7 days. AF comes about 3 days after that.

It will reset your cycle, so should re-start ovulation:thumbup:

Oh bless you chick. I so understand how you feel.

After years and years of crash diets followed by weight gain, I found that diets don't work. Instead, I just cut down a little on bad carbs. If I want toast for breakfast I have it, but then refrain from pasta at night. I've had a 4 finger kitkat every single day on my "diet" and was far too embarrassed about my size to go to the gym, so apparently I did it all wrong. But in just over a year I lost 10 stone.

If you need help or support do drop me a line - I'm still working to lose a little weight, maybe we could help each other out.

Sorry, forgot to add -

Your previous thyroid results were borderline - do you happen to know the result?

Ask them to recheck your TSH when you go for your bloods. If your result is over 2, it is likely you have an underactive thyroid. Many doctors wont diagnose it unless it is over 4 or 5 but it is now well known that if it is over even 2, it can cause problems in pregnancy. Given that you are trying to conceive, if your result is borderline again, your doctor needs to help you get your level down for the sake of the baby you will have. If he treats you for that, it will help your weight too.

Quaver - Thanks for sharing, I will keep my fingers crossed that both you and I just need a jump start with some progesterone. Good luck :D

Kates84 - Thank you, I have sent you a friends request, would be great to have someone to loose weight with. I am amazed by your weight loss, its unbelievable. I have tried diets, and the pills the doctor can give you, nothing worked. So I am now waiting to hear about a group thing where they educate you on healthy diets and work with you to try and help you loose it. If that fails i will then be offered surgery. I suffer from a condition called Fybromyalgia which causes a great deal of pain and obviously carrying extra weight doesn't help so i think if all else fails by that point I will probably accept the surgery despite the risks involved :( .

anyway back to the TTC stuff LOL - I have no idea what the levels were. I never thought to ask. I have a good relationship with my doctor so i will discuss it with her next month when i am back. I will ask the nurse to check my thyroid when I am there on Monday, sure it won't be a problem. What is THS? Is it basically thyroids levels? xx

Yes it stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone.

With you saying they were borderline, I just remembered that anything over 2 can be a problem with conceiving, even though doctors usually wont diagnose until they go higher. It's different if you are trying to get pregnant though - they need to help you if you are borderline again.

lol I must sound like I do nothing but research these things all day!

Anyway, we'll lose our weight together - and then gain it all again when we get pregnant!

HAHAHAHA that exactly what i said to my hubby, I'm going to get thin just to get fat again

lol I told my hubby that he'd better love me twice as much because I'm going to be twice the size.

It'll be worth it though, totally.

Oh yes definitely! Is this your first your trying for? how long have you been trying? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->