Just found out i'm pregnant...I take adderall and anti depressants...

bridge91

Reaction score
Just yesterday i found out i was pregnant, problem is, I am perscribed 30mg adderall xr every morning and 15mg ir in the afternoon along with 10mg of lexapro. I know adderall CANNOT be good for a baby whatsoever...

additionally... i smoke about a pack a day and drink at least 1 if not 2 energy drinks a day....again i know...not good for a baby..

I need some advice from people who were perscribed adderall before their pregnancy and either kept taking it at lower doses or had to stop completely because I honestly have so much trouble getting my work done without it. Maybe there are natural methods that are safer for the baby that can replace it until after birth??

also.. the caffeine.. i know they say you can have a cup of coffee a day but i really dont enjoy coffee...thats why i drink the monster, i read somewhere that you can have up to 200mg of caffeine a day and i checked the can of the drink and it has 140mg per can but thats just the caffeine that doesnt include all the other things like : niacin, b6, b12, taurine, ect..

I literally just found out yesterday that i was pregnant, I am going to try to quit smoking cold turkey but i feel like its going to be way harder than it sounds...Is there an easier way?? maybe cut down to 2-3 a day for a week, then 1-2, then 1??

This pregnancy was totally unexpected so i was not prepared whatsoever, but I would never want to jeopardize the health of a little human who cannot fend for itself...its depending on me to live i need to figure out what i need to do before its too late!!! HELP! Advice please!!

thanks!

Quitting smoking cold turkey can be hard, or not that hard at all depending on you and how you feel. Some struggle with it immensely, and need to wean off, others can picture the baby inside them and have no trouble kicking the habit immediately.

Monster in particular is a pretty bad choice as far as beverages go. It's not just the caffeine, but the INSANE amount of sugar. https://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8265.pdf
They're not just bad for you, they're awful for a growing baby. You'd run the risk of elevated blood sugars (so much as inviting gestational diabetes), elevated blood pressure, heart arrhythmias and miscarriage.

If you're on prescription meds I'd discuss whether it's appropriate to wean onto lower doses or off them completely with your doctors. That's where I'd start, I'd bet they'll have some great resources to help you quit smoking as well.

Even though it wasn't expected you seem to really be on board with moving forward in as healthy way as possible, baby is lucky to have you as mom! :thumbup:

I am on Wellbutrin for depression my guns put me on it for depression cause it's safe to take while pregnant. I have no adder ol experience so talk to the dr ASAP about that.

A few things I know about smoking a lot then trying to quit while pregnant is that if you have a hard time quitting it can be more stressful and harmful to quit cold turkey than the smoking is for the baby. My friend actually ended up smoking her whole pregnancy cause when she tried to quit it stressed the fetus to much. Not a lot obviously.

As for caffeine I have the same addiction except its redbull my only alternative I have found is v8 energy orange pineapple not bad for you or the baby and 1 can has 50mg caffeine also I use the mio energy in water has caffeine but not all the extra crap

thanks for the info! yeah i made an appt with my dr about the adderall, cutting the monster wont be too horrible i hope (and as for the sugar i should have specified.. i only drink the sugar free calorie free one, but i'm sure fake sugar is worse then the real stuff in the long run) Smoking is my biggest concern for quitting completely, but now that you mentioned welbutrin i completely forgot i was on that in the past and besides being an antidepressant it is used as a quit smoking aid so that may be the answer!

hopefully the doc can give me something alternative to the adderall because its an amphetamine/stimulant and i feel like there is no way to even get a lower dose without harming the baby and its heart.

Next big problem....breaking the news to my super conservative Catholic parents..... any suggestions?

I'm sorry you are going through this. You must still be in shock having just found out. I know some antidepressants are safe to take while pregnant but don't know which ones.

Since you are still really early in your pregnancy your symptoms probably haven't started yet. You may develop a natural aversion to cigarettes and energy drinks. I know for me I couldn't handle caffeine or coffee early in my pregnancies and I am very addicted to both. I can also tell you that I drank early in my pregnancies, before I knew I was pregnant, and my kids turned out fine. So it's possible that you haven't done any damage to your baby yet. And you sound committed to moving forward with a healthy pregnancy and that says a lot. Oh, if this is your first baby you may not be aware that you need to take prenatal vitamins. You can get them at any grocery store or drug store. Take care hon, I know it all seems overwhelming right now but everything will be alright.

"The Lord Giveth..." and what's meant to be will always find a way. Remind them God is prolife, and you intend to respect this wish and gift He obviously has for your life :flower:

I just found out 2 days ago that I'm pregnant and was a pack a day smoker until the moment I found out. Well, that's not true. I had one more cigarette after I found out and immediately went and picked up a box of nicotine patches and an E-cigarette. As per the dr, they are safe in moderation. I wear the Step 2 patch, and put it on when I wake up at around 6:30am and take it off an hour or so before I go to bed. Which these days is at like 8:30, lol. And when the cravings get really bad, I take a few puffs from the e-cig. The first day was rough, not going to lie. But if you can make it through that first day, the rest of the days will be so much easier.

As for anti-depressants....I was on Pristiq up until a few months ago. This medication was a big no-no for the third trimester. Maybe do a little research into the medication and see what it says? It might not be too bad for certain times during the pregnancy.

And congrats!!!

I quit smoking cold turkey about three weeks before I got pregnant. It was much easier and more effective than trying to cut back. I recommend going cold turkey, but everyone is different.

As for the psych meds, I think you should call the doctor who prescribed them immediately and inform them that you are pregnant.

Iv been on ti depressants throughout all my pregnancies. The other meds im notsure about. I was on beta blockers in my other pregnancies too but this one iv stopped taking it. As for the smoking i have no advice as im struggling myself :(

I'm a smoker and coffee drinker... I did talk with my Dr. about going on the E-ciggs and she thinks it would be a wonderful idea... I used to drink red bull like crazy but i have cut back to one every other month as a treat or if I go to one of there events (huge fan of the Red Bull "Extreme Team" and try to hit there local events when i can)

but they make Red bull, Monster and coffee flavored e-cig liquids so I picked up some red bull and coffee liquid and I have now been real cig free for 1 month and I have gone from 4 cups of coffee a day down to 1 :D I'm no longer on any antidepressants or other meds because they interfere with my art and my last mental health eval came back that I'm VERY stable... so all my childhood issues must have been that... Childhood. When it comes to any Rx med... it is best to speak with your Dr. before making any changes what so ever. I really cant stress that enough. Going off some types meds to fast can actually do major harm. Good luck hun and keep us posted. *hugs*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->