just found out my 5yr old daughter is diabetes anyone else with children who has this

wishing4baby3

Reaction score
hi ive neva posted in these forums just the pregnancy ones so new to this section but friday morning i took my daughter to the doctors after 8 wks of her not being herself and it getting worse,well within an hour we had got her the hospital and told she has diabetes and ever since i have cried alot,ended up ill myself from worrying and stress and just cant describe the rest of the feelings that keep rushing through me,
she is 6yrs old nxt month and i can honestly say she has been braver than me,she has already got use to the daily insulin injections and finger pricks but is struggling with the constant hunger and not being able eat anything she wants constantly,im finding the whole counting carbs scary and just day to day things that may have to change for her,
please if anyone else has a child with diabetes please can you share your experiances as a good night sleep would be lovely instead of me worrying all night that she is going to go into a hypo and i wont know,i really need to get out of the black hole i have ended up in as i also have 2 other children to look after and need to be strong for all 3 as i know its changing their lives too
thankyou wishing :flower:

Huge hugs. My daughter is a T1 diabetic and was diagnosed last fall just before her first birthday as she was entering ketoacidosis. It is scary and difficult at first and I had many many nights where we both in tears. I bought a journal where I record everything she eats, the time she ate it and her numbers when she ate it. I also bought the book The Complete Guide to Carb Counting. Really helpful. The easiest way is to stay organized and monitor food. Do you know if she tends to be high or low? for the first few weeks I set an alarm and tested her in her sleep. We cut out meat and most refined sugar (juiceboxes are killer for sugar) which does seem to make a difference. The best advice I can give you is to not treat her differently, she will lead a healthy, successful, normal life. Diabetes is just part of it.

thankyou for your reply and so sorry for you having to start so early in your daughters life but then i guess she doesnt know she is missing out on foods she likes which was prob better,it sounds like ur defo clued up on it now though when it comes to her needs,my daughter is always high so in on around 3 to 4 unitsof insulin 4 times a day,i was told meat was fine to eat cause it doesnt have many carbs in so is this not the case for you,ive finally sorted my head out enough not to cry but still freak out at how much i need to remember and im also putting everything into a diary to try work out what shoots her blood sugars up the most x x

Good for you :hugs: the first bit is the hardest. Recording things is what really helped get us on top of food. The tricky part about T1 is that foods that don't cause a spike one day can be a huge one the next.

Hi hun, I have no experience of this but just want to offer :hugs:

Really sorry to hear she's sick, but I hope you figure out a good plan how to live with it.

Hi hun I was just browsing (not sure y in this section!) n saw this. I am not experiencing what u r but I myself am a T1 diab. It's tough life n I'm sorry ur daughter has it at such a young age. It's something I wouldn't want anyone to want, let alone a child.

I'm writing here cos I noticed u say ur cutting down on meat. Neat I'm sure is fine and without meat it may weaken ur daughter. Ache needs iron n protein. It's those cakes, crisps, sweets, esp drinks that u need to b careful of. And a lot of fruit like water melon and grapes.

I really really hope they find a cure 4 this.

I worry about my son all the time. What signs showed that ur daughter was ill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->