• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Just had a premature baby due to pre-eclampsia

Thanks Foogirl. I have already told myself never to ask when she will be coming home, just take one day at a time...tbh its everyone else that keeps asking me constantly everday.

xx

Oh this wound me up. I just used to tell people, "she's already shown she will do things her way, she'll be home when she is good and ready"

Exactky Foogirl :thumbup:

I STILL tell people now that Brooke wasnt poorly when she was born, she just couldnt wait to get out because she was bored!!! she's such a wriggler now :flower: It usually gets a chuckle.

Exactky Foogirl :thumbup:

I STILL tell people now that Brooke wasnt poorly when she was born, she just couldnt wait to get out because she was bored!!! she's such a wriggler now :flower: It usually gets a chuckle.
Nice one!:thumbup:

I did feel a little guilty. I did keep telling her I just couldn't wait to meet her. Do you think she heard me....:blush:

The same with Freya. She was always a mover when I was carrying her and then she finally just decided to just arrive. I have just been to see her now and she is off all fluids and having 2hrly feeds of 21ml, so quite rightly she is doing things in her own time and pace.

x

The same with Freya. She was always a mover when I was carrying her and then she finally just decided to just arrive. I have just been to see her now and she is off all fluids and having 2hrly feeds of 21ml, so quite rightly she is doing things in her own time and pace.

x

wew, 2 hourly feeds! That's brilliant! Well done Freya.

Sounds like Freya is doing brilliantly, 2 hour feeds already!!

21mls every 2 hours is VERY good!

Jeez, took us forever to get to that much!

She took the milk for the first time from a bottle today. Got it in her mouth straight away and she was sucking away. They have decided to do one bottle feed, one drip feed so she doesn't get to worn out, she is doing well. It was soooooooo nice giving her her first bottle.

x

She took the milk for the first time from a bottle today. Got it in her mouth straight away and she was sucking away. They have decided to do one bottle feed, one drip feed so she doesn't get to worn out, she is doing well. It was soooooooo nice giving her her first bottle.

x

Oh ho, on the final stretch now. Once those bottle feeds are flowing, there's no stopping them.:thumbup:

Evie was allowed home after about just under 3 weeks (she was born at 34 weeks exactly). She only weighed 4lbs 1oz when she was allowed home :thumbup:. xx

Congrats on the 'bonus time' with ur LO... :)

It's not the weight they're concerned w/..I believe it's the coordination of being able to eat, breath and swallow at the same time and of course, the li'l one's breathing is what they look for

Congratulations on your baby girl.
I had 32+2 week twin girls in September due to pre eclampsia who have just enjoyed their first Christmas at home. They were born 3lbs 10oz & 3lbs 12oz and left hospital exactly 5 weeks later. The Neonate unit didn't have any weight criteria to get them home (they were discharged at 4lbs 4oz & 5lbs 7oz), they focused on being able to feed either by bottle or breast exclusively without any tube feeds, steadily putting on weight, being able to maintain their temperature and no apnoea incidents.
Try and look after yourself as best you can in these early weeks, I found I took a while to get over pre eclampsia and I was so focussed on spending time with babies and trying to get them home I didn't really take care of myself.
My best advice as she is approaching what would have been her due date is to do as many of her feeds in the unit as you can without wearing yourself out. The staff need to see that you are capable of feeding & looking after her by yourself before they will discharge her.
My girls left hospital at what would have been 37 weeks gestation and aside from being smaller than other three month old babies they are perfect and have no lasting effects from being born at 32 weeks.

Good Luck x

Hi Everyone. Not been on lately due to Christmas and juggling time between going to the hospital and giving my little boy a good christmas to. Manic!!! But I have some good news. Freya is coming home tomorrow. She is now taking 2oz every four hours and they are more than happy for her to leave the hospital. I am going there today to speak to them about care for her after she has left. Its so nice to think she will be home for New Years. Thank you for all your words of advice and encouragement to be strong and also to look after myself which is what i tend to do.x.

Congratulations!
:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
:happydance::happydance::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

You must be sooooooo happy! What a tough cookie! :hugs:

fantastic news what a great start to the New Year xx

congratulations hun. My friend has her baby at 32 weeks in noveber as her waters broke. He went home at 35 weeks. They kept saying she would be there till her due date.

Congrats!!

It isnt totally the same situation but near to so here's what happened with us.

I had Chloe on 25 Oct at 32 weeks + 5 days due to pre-eclampsia and had a c-section, she was 2lb 8oz and was breathing on her own from the start, she had no jaundice or any other complications the whole time she was in special care. We were always told from the start that not to expect her home until at least her offical due date, 15 Dec, and that any sooner then that would be a bonus but not to get our hopes up in case she had any set backs.

But anyway, she had her IV out after just under a week, her oxygen saturation, foot monitor and all other leads and monitors off after 2 weeks, at 3 weeks she was bottle feeding (we had issues with latching on and she was pulling out her nasal tube nearly 4 times a day so we decided to go with bottle feeding), at 3 and a half weeks she was in an open cot and at exactly 1 month old she came home.

The criteria we were given for bringing her home was that she had to be breathing on her own, feeding well (either breast or bottle) and able to maintain her own temperature (so the temp was gradually reduced in the incubator and she had to keep herself at a stable temp and then she was allowed to be moved into an open cot when the incubator temp was turned down to 28 and she was still keeping herself warm). There was no ideal weight requirement, just as long as she was gaining well (she never lost any weight at all, but then at 2lb 8oz I guess she didnt have any spare to lose!).

Hope this helps, oh and we were able to stay the night with her before she was discharged in a special parents room, for us to get used to her at nighttime and to make sure we were okay with everything.

And as an update, chloe is now 9 weeks old and is 5lb 5oz :)

If you want to chat at all or have any questions then send me a pm

Hugs

Edit: oh I just read your update, even more congrats!! We have a neonatal nurse that comes and vists us, at first twice a week but now once a week, I'm sure you'll have something similar, have a fantastic new year and big hugs to your little star!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"