Just starting group session for speech delay and possible autism

Plex

Reaction score
hi,

My son is almost 3 and a half and he has been referred through his HV to IDS and SALT and we will be attending group therapy sessions soon too. I have an appointment with his peadiatrician this month aswell.

Its all so overwhelming :( Last year, I really didnt think my son had a problem, but i still went ahead with the process as i didnt want to chance my judgement at being un-biased, I was worried that i was wrong not to worry :dohh:

It turns out that the more this process goes on, the more I believe he needs this, Im scared he has autism. Not the autism itself, just the prejudice and bullying that goes hand in hand with it. We have autism in the family anyway so i know how cruel children can be and it breaks my heart to think my son may have to cope with that shit as well as autism :(

The therapy sessions dont really bother me but i was wondering if anyone who has experience with them can shed light on them fro me? Personal experiences etc?

Also i have a few example of my sons behaviour, and i was wondering if any seem to put him in the ASD?

* When excited he holds his hands under his chin and wiggles his fingers really fast, sometimes exclaming 'ooo' excitedly.

* He hates bubbles in his drink and in the bath (weirdly this doesnt happen on every occassion but when it does he gets very upset, crying and all)

* He hates acceleration in cars (when hes inside) He really screams and wriggles to get free - this one has only started happening this week.

* He hates to get dirty. Loves messy play, just not getting food/drink on himself - he literally will not continue his food without him being wiped clean.

*He is petrified of hand-driers and he covers his ears when he sees one/and or will not enter a toilet if one is there.

Im not sure about his speech as that is such a confusing topic :wacko: Like - (possible explanation of a problem they think he has) he may only say something, not because he's learnt the meaning of it but, he's learnt that it is an acceptable thing to say in that situation(....wtf??):shrug: my mind is a bit boggled by that last statement alone :haha:

Anyway thanks for reading, i appreciate any/all replies :flower:

xx

:hugs: It is frightening to think about the future. Here, autism awareness is being implied in schools in the hope of gaining some wider understanding from everyone. I will say though, our experience so far at school has been fantastic and all the kids are insanely caring.

Our Alex hasnt been on many group sessions but at that age she couldnt really take part in them either, she ran amock and hated things like that. Now, she loves it. Things can turn around - even with autism

With speech is not just about whether they can say anything or not, but how it is used and applied - it needs to be an impairment of somewhat.

I fret about bullies too then I remind myself every child (sadly) is vulnerable too bullies and is part of life most of us have to deal with. Autism or not. X

It confuses me when they talk about him 'repeating what he knows to be an acceptable answer' (one that he has previously learnt). Its confusing as he talks within context and without prompting. To be honest, that is one part of all this im happy to leave the thinking about to the professionals! I have tried to look into it all but i find it so hard to understand fully. I'll continue to try to help him understand things. Think thats all i can do at the moment.

Im relieved that some schools seem to be more adept at helping children with autism, my brother and his son have autism, dyslexia and adhd. When my brother was growing up little support was available. My nephew took years to statement due to lots and lots of delays. I think, even though these events were years ago it still frightens me that that could be a possibility.

I also know bullies will pick on anyone if they are a little different, as thats how bullies are. I only talk from the experience of my nephew, it scares me. Like you i am trying not to dwell on it. Thats difficult though :(

:flower: xx

My daughter has a language problem and its Mind boggling!

Glad im not the only one who finds it all so confusing!!!

I just so glad that there are these people who make it their lifes work to help our children through these things :D Especially as i didnt think he had a problem last year. Its only know all his little quirks are becoming more noticeable. Maybe because im looking form them? I dont know :shrug:

How far along the process are you Ali?? xx

Glad im not the only one who finds it all so confusing!!!

I just so glad that there are these people who make it their lifes work to help our children through these things :D Especially as i didnt think he had a problem last year. Its only know all his little quirks are becoming more noticeable. Maybe because im looking form them? I dont know :shrug:

How far along the process are you Ali?? xx

You are so not alone ! My daughter has had the Griffith assessment. You could have knocked me over with a feather when nursery raised there concerns with me as I knew she was behind but never suspected autism. But then the more I read the more I thought she was on the spectrum. Now 8 months later I'm not convinced anymore :wacko:. The biggest issue is her language delay. Her speech is perfect but she doesn't understand language and used to repeat everything. Nursery say she has problems with routine etc but I don't agree her language barrier means she doesn't always know what's going on around her so gets upset at times. What are your sons quirks x

Sorry just saw you put them on first post. My daughter is v similar x

Ive not heard much on the griffiths assessment - i think i did look into it last year - is it something they do when the child is between 2-3? Or can that be done anytime?

When my son first started nursery he became disruptive and had one day where he was throwing things and clinging onto large objects like the table for instance. Since that episode hes adjusted quite well. I do think he is delayed speech/language wise but i also believe he understands more than all the professionals think he does. That part i find frustrating as no-one seems to take my word on board :( I think, im just over thinking things at the moment tbh.

How long have you thought ur daughter had a language delay? I find this all hard as i wasnt/have never been around children much so dont know milestones - especially for speaking. xx

Bless her - ur poor daughter, I completely agree with u - if ur daughter finds understanding of language difficult then how can she be expected to grasp a routine quickly in somewhere different to home? :shrug: xx

Plex I was the same as you . this is my first daughter we are talking about and I was clueless. I noticed she was copying things from the TV at age 3 but thought it was harmless however I was told its echolia. When you Google that you get hit with thousands if pages with autism. It was then I realises she was quite delayed with her play etc too. She also has a habbit of learning appropriate phrases rather than using her own language. She sounds fine but does she say something because she understands what it means or does she just know its the correct response to give. I'm typing off my phone it's tricky to explain but you can add me on fb if you like x

Thats my thoughts exactly - how do we know our children speak through understanding or just by thinking its the right thing to say at the time??

I will be asking the peadiatrician lots pf questions on this lolol poor person!

I havent googled much in the way of autism recently, think ill do that if my internet doesnt keep cutting out on me :grr: xx

I am so like you. I just thought my son had a speech delay, and everyone kept telling me boys speak later. And I don't really hang out with anyone with kids the same age so I really didn't know how far behind he was. Feel bit stupid now.
We did group speech therapy in the summer and that's what kicked him off speaking at 3.5 years. Six months ago he didn't say anything now he has nearly 200 words, and has started to string words together.
The consultant has said she's pretty sure he's autistic but we've got to wait 6 months for proper diagnostics. I try not to google it, I find it upsetting at the moment as we are still trying to digest it all. I can't look too far into the future. I'm hoping he's mildly affected but now he's talking it's clear he has some repetitive things. Like when he's upset he'll say 'cbeebies 121' which is the channel number.

Plex I think the way I see it now is my daughter uses all the lanuage iv taught her or she's copied from someone else. She never makes up her own conversation. Doesn't come out with the hilarious things kids do. I mean this isn't much to go on but if you look close enough you can sometimes tell what is an automates response and when they are really engaging in conversation. The thing is once they grasp the basics then there language can really take off with practice x

Hi everyone, my son has just turned 3 and has a speech and language delay, delayed development, poor gross motor skills and a lack of spatial awareness. I know exactly what you mean by your child saying the correct answer to a question as if it is something that has been rehearsed rather than something thought up by themselves if you get what I mean. My son has came on leaps and bounds with early intervention which confuses me at times cos it makes me wonder if everything is actually alright with him now. He has his diagnostic assessment later today and a big meeting in November to discuss there findings. It's a stressful time but I just take comfort in the fact he is a happy little boy.

Scots girl that's exactly it they know its the right answer. They might always give the same answer too rather than thinking up there own creative speech. Keep us posted on his diagnostic app x

Scots - how did his assessment go?

We had our group sessions today and i feel a bit let down to be honest. Now they have me thinking there are problems the dr thinks there isnt :grr: really dont know what the hell is going on and feel a bit frustrated with it all!

My concern is now he wont receive any help as the doctor doesnt think there is a problem yet EVERYONE else thinks there is and hes like 1yr behind :shrug: I didnt expect all the SAME questions again so was completely unprepared and feel that now ive not said everything that i should have :( this whole process is upsetting. Feel like ive ruined any chance of my son getting the help he needs :(

fed up. x

Just go back to the doctors to discuss what the others have said. I feel your frustration x

Hi, i have a 2 yr 2 month old ds, we are currently halfway through an 18 week waiting list to see the paediatrican, he is non verbal, head bangs (the harder the better) rocks when excited, stacks things in lines, also hates bubbles in his bath, picky eater, doesn't understand that chucking food on the floor is effectively finishing the meal, wakes up through the night,hates strangers, doesn't know how to play with others etc etc. We currently feel like we are in limbo at the moment, just loving him and trying to keep him safe and happy. Plus i have a 5 month old, myslef and my hsuband are shattered :coffee:

:hugs: my son is on the journey too. He's learning to speak of sorts now but its a disorder, he says random sentences can't say mummy etc. I'm sure its echolalia tbh. He currently is obsessed with ow, don't do that. Which is just mortifying when out!!! He just says is randomly too several times a day. He must have heard it at nursery I reckon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->