just visiting from pregnancy forum with a question!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Sarah lo, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sarah lo

Sarah lo mum of 2 little monkeys!

Hi girls, It's just a quick question for mums of 2 or more.

With my first LO I was in labour for 71 hours and I'm just wondering if number 2 is going to be similar. So if you had a really long labour with number 1, what was number 2 like?

Thanks xx

2. Pink Sarah

Pink Sarah Well-Known Member

3. little_lady

little_lady Mum of two

First labour start to finish was about 36 hours, but established labour was 16 hours.

Second labour start to finish was 12 hours, established labour was 10 hours.

In my experience the second labour got going straight away but was still quite long.

4. little_lady

little_lady Mum of two

Oh congrats BTW, just recognised your name!!

5. NerdyMama

NerdyMama Mum to two!

My first was 28 hours from water breaking and the second was 6 hours from water breaking :) much quicker!

6. XJessicaX

XJessicaX mum to two girls!

Not sure how you class labour length, for me my first labour was 22 hours from first painful contraction and about 6/7 hours 'active labour'. Second labour was 2.5 hours long and active labour being 40 mins.

7. jd83

jd83 Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

My first was 10 1/2 hours total, started with water breaking at home, and then probably about 9 hours of active labor.

Second was 2 1/2 hours total, started with water breakign at home, and then probably about 1 1/2 hours of active labor. It was FAST!

8. roomaloo

roomaloo TTC no. 2

My first was 36 hrs from water going. My 2nd was 3 hrs :)

9. Sarah lo

Thank you :)

I remember you from the last time round too. Feels like forever ago now lol xx

10. Sarah lo

I'm not sure either lol my first labour was a weird one! I counted from first contraction to baby being born so the whole of the first day was most likely not active labour. Days 2 and 3 were agonising but my waters didn't break and I could talk through my contractions so the midwives didn't believe I was in active labour. It ended up with me needing to push at home and being rushed into hospital where I was found to be fully dilated on arrival! So I've absolutely no idea when I started active labour! :dohh:

Quite a few of these answers sound really promising that I might have a bit quicker one this time!

11. d_b

d_b Well-Known Member

Mine were both fast, first about 4-5 hours and second just under 3 hours (counting from 1st contraction, that was my first labour symptom both times). But the second was so much easier, I could still talk through my contractions right up to the end and I didn't need to push, I just had 2 or 3 contractions with that bowling ball feeling and he popped out, barely made it to the bed! DS1 took at least an hour or two to come out once I started feeling 'pushy' and I really had to concentrate to breathe through contractions. I also got a second degree tear with DS1 but only needed 1 stitch after DS2, even though he was bigger.

12. CatStorey

CatStorey Mum to Chloe and Tom :)

Both my labours I arrived at hospital and was 5cm dilated. From there first labour lasted 13 hours and second lasted 1 hour 30 mins.

My first labour I was having contractions all evening and through the night and was in agony by the time I arrived at L&D but my second I went from fast asleep in bed to giving birth within 3 hours!

xxx

13. oboeverity

oboeverity Mummy to Ted and Willem

Three labours.... Start to finish....
    DS1-10hours
    DS2- 8hours
    DS3-2.5 hours. Xx

14. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

My labors were both short. 3 hours active labor for my first and 30 minutes active labor with my second. Both 5 min pushing stage. I was 3-4 cm both times I got to the hospital.

15. Amygdala

Amygdala Well-Known Member

First: Contractions for 36 hours, active labour for 6 hours, of which 2 hours pushing.

Second: contractions for 15 hours, active labour less than 30 minutes, of which 5 minutes pushing.