Kieran?

SaraEmily

Mom of 2 girls
Reaction score
This is one of the only names we can agree on that we both like. I'm still not totally in love with it, but we really can't agree on much else. My OH thinks it sounds a bit feminine but likes it anyway. It reminds me of the girl name Karen, which puts me off slightly but it's not a huge deal.

So what are your thoughts? Also, would you have trouble pronouncing it? When I first saw it I thought I may be pronouncing it wrong (I say KEER-un) but it seems this is the correct way. Vincent will be the middle name for any boy name we choose. That one's non-negotiable. So.. thoughts?

I think it's a nice name.

I agree it sounds feminine...Like the name Keira (keer-ah)

I'd pronounce it Keer-en

What about Keegan?

I think it's a nice name, in Ireland it's Ciarán (pronounced Keer-awn, some people say Keer-in) and it means little dark one, Ciara (Keira) is the female form of it.
I think it goes really well with Vincent.

Sounds lovely but I would spell it ciaran cause im Irish. If your worried about people saying it wrong what about Keenan? I know it's a totally different name but it's cute and kind of on the same line. Xx

Sounds lovely but I would spell it ciaran cause im Irish. If your worried about people saying it wrong what about Keenan? I know it's a totally different name but it's cute and kind of on the same line. Xx

I would normally choose the traditional spelling of any name, but in this case I can't. I live in the US and people aren't familiar with this name. Nobody would know how to pronounce Ciaran.

And Keenan just makes me think of Keenan Thompson. Again, probably a US thing.

I like the name Kieran - I think it's very nice.

However, I know a guy with this name and I told him once that I loved his name and he was like "Don't ever name a child Kieran!" Apparently he HATES his name bc he said everyone always mistakes it for a girl's name. :shrug:

I also love Keegan (I know you said that's out) & Killian!

how can anyone mistake it for a girls name lol

its pronounced Kee-ran and its a perfectly normal name, ive met dozens of Kieran's

how can anyone mistake it for a girls name lol

its pronounced Kee-ran and its a perfectly normal name, ive met dozens of Kieran's

It's actually pretty much unheard of in the US. I just checked its popularity here and it's in the 600's. I've never met anyone with the name or even heard of it until I saw it on Nameberry. I know it's quite common in the UK though.

the first syllable is KEE second syllable depends on accent normally can be Run or Ran even heard one of two people say Ren

so either:

KEE-RAN
KEE-RUN
KEE-REN

I pronounce it key-ran. It's common in the UK but isnt really used much recently as far as I can tell.

I like it :thumbup:

An Australian would pronounce it Keer-un (if that helps:haha:). I think its a very nice, strong, under-used name!

I'm a bit surprised people would mistake Kieran for a girl's name. I've known a couple of Kierans from when I was at school (in the uk) and it's a good boy's name. Here, it's pronounced kee-ran. If you like it go for it!

It seems it can be pronounced either way. I do like the name but that's a bit off putting. My daughters name is constantly being mispronounced (and its a totally normal name!) and I hate it. I want to avoid that with this next baby if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->