Kitchen Work and Pregnancy

Karigan

Reaction score
Hello all, this my first lost but I was hoping you all could give me some input.

I am now pregnant with my first child. I just found out yesterday and I am about six weeks along. My biggest question is regarding my job, and how long I can wait before telling my boss.

I work in a kitchen in a multi-functional possition. I'm a line cook, dishwasher, prep cook, and food runner. The operation is small, and weekdays there is only the owner who is the main cook, his wife who serves, and me to fill in for everything else. Weekends we do have a dedicated dishwasher. My shifts are anywhere from 4-7 hours long five days a week.

Things go from slow to mad and we don't get breaks. I have the option of snacking during a shift, but that and bathroom breaks are about it.

My biggest concern is heavy lifting. All of our stock is in the basement and must be carried up a flight of stairs. The loads are anywhere from 10-65 lbs and I have to make the run at least a dozen times a night. I can do smaller loads, but it's still a lot of work. I don't have many symptoms yet, just the occasional nausea that is hardly worth mentioning, but if I have it it gets worse with heavy lifting. I also get lightheaded very easily and when I was three weeks I had 5 days where I thought I was I'll with both these things but now I know the cause.

Do you think I should tell him right away or should I wait until symptoms get worse?

Tell them right away because lifting is dangerous

If your job has you doing jobs that are not recommended for pregnant women then they have to modify your work so you can continue working. So yes I would definitely let him know so he can figure out another way of getting the heavier items up the stairs. They are legally obligated to make your job safe for you.

I would tell them immediately because it sounds like a lot of the work would be harmful to your baby. They'll have to modify it so that you can do the work. It is much better safe than sorry! :thumbup:

I would echo what the other ladies said, best to tell them and modify your work.

I'd tell them, too. My OB said no lifting over 25 pounds with my first, but now I've got a 25-26 pound toddler, an 11 pound baby, and a 26 1/2 pound nephew, both of whom I lift ALL the time. Since I'm SO used to it (and including lifting 2 or all of them at a time), my body doesn't find it stressful, and I'm still able to do it. Listen to your body. If your body says it's too much stress, DON'T do it. I know it's your job, but baby's safety comes first. Good luck with everything!

No heavy lifting.
Also they'll need to do a risk assessment for your work x

Thanks all. I told him and he's modifying some things and talking about training a new cook for when I'm gone. We're going to slowly phase out my hours when it gets too much, and eventually pull me in for only the dinner rushes. He in his infinite paranoia has also forbidden me to use the trap door that leads to the basement since it's his many-times-realized fear that people who are careless hurt themselves on it. I think I may start to even get babied over there, as much as a hard Italian family can anyway ;) .

Hi Hun, I worked in a very similar role when I was pregnant with my first. I told them straight away. It sounds like they are going to take care if you :) x x x

Thanks all. I told him and he's modifying some things and talking about training a new cook for when I'm gone. We're going to slowly phase out my hours when it gets too much, and eventually pull me in for only the dinner rushes. He in his infinite paranoia has also forbidden me to use the trap door that leads to the basement since it's his many-times-realized fear that people who are careless hurt themselves on it. I think I may start to even get babied over there, as much as a hard Italian family can anyway ;) .

If I know anything about italian families I think you'll get some baby-ing over there for sure!! :haha:

If I know anything about italian families I think you'll get some baby-ing over there for sure!! :haha:

Haha, I hope so! They're so hard to read: "You're an expendable employee...you're adoption papers are in the male...get moving...you're not canadian anymore, you're Italian!" Make up your minds people![-o<

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->