Kyle - 10lb 7oz on the 14th December 09

PregnantKez

Reaction score
Its been a while so I guess I should get this up here :)

Had a sweep: on the 10th with the consultant. Had pains all that day then they went away. On Sunday 13th thought I was having very very mild pains 5 mins apart but was never sure they were contractions.

Contractions: I was 40 weeks + 4 days on Monday 14th 12.30am 1st contraction, but I thought it was just stomach pains, then again 10mins - 5mins - 3mins - 2mins then every 2 mins after that. Couldn't stand up properly when I had them, they were insanely strong. Was bent over the bed moaning.

Went to hospital: at 2am - was 5cm already so they let me stay. Asked for gas and air, pethadine, and epidural. They took 1 hour to get the epidural in!!!!! Didn't have a needle long enough apparently but I was high as a kite on the other drugs by then :)

After epidural: Sat there till 3pm trying to sleep, couldn't feel a thing after the epidural. OH eating all the food i'd brought cos I couldn't have any. They kept losing the heartbeat cos the monitor kept moving to the wrong place so they put a clip on his head and started me with a drug to speed the contractions up and dilate me more because of the epidural everything slowed down a lot. I'm wondering now how I'd have gotten on without it.

4.30pm: was 10cms and I started pushing - couldn't feel a thing, couldn't feel any contractions or nothing. Was pushing for 1.5 hours and nothing changed :(

Consultant: came in and said they'd have to use forceps to get him out. She examined my tummy and said the baby would be about 8lbs ish - ha they didn't know!

Birth: There was loads of people in the room at this point and apparently another 10 people waiting outside "just in case" :shrug: Consultant told me that a few pushes they'd have him out. I was lay down and my legs put up. I pushed as hard as I could, his head must have come out and I remember shouting out as it did. Then they pressed a buzzer behind me, the rest of the people came in from outside and my legs were put as far on my chest as they'd go. There was so much noise and telling me to push, pushed again and they pulled him out and put him straight on my chest for about 2 seconds. I couldn't open my eyes, I felt traumatised by it all for some reason. My hands were shaking and I couldn't concentrate on the baby or my OH. They kept shouting 4.5, he's 4.5 but I had no idea what that was (I work in pounds not kilos) He was 10lbs 5oz! Born at 6.10pm after 18 hours.

(Most of the next part is what my OH told me because I was so out of it I didn't have a clue what was going on)
After birth: Was in there for a while yet getting the placenta out which they put in a tray and dropped on the floor - it went everywhere apparently, and I kinda looked up and saw blood all over the wall. They couldn't stitch me up because the light was pretty bad in the delivery room. I was taken down to theatre. I could feel them pushing and pulling down there but strangely didn't hurt, was just pressure. I must have started coming round from drugs after that and I got really cold, shivering for about an hour while I was in recovery and I was complaining of cold and asking for blankets - they said I was boiling over though, not sure if it was shock or coming down from drugs.

Recovery: Went back to delivery room and got to hold Kyle for first time, was a bit surreal. This was 3 hours after he was born. OH called my mum then, he'd been holding him since he was born. The nurses wrapped him up and then just left OH with no information about me just the baby, he was a bit bewildered.

On the ward: OH got to stay for about an hour after while we got settled, they kept trying to get me to breastfeed but I was in pain down there, uncomfortable and felt bloody awful. They maul your breasts so much that I had to ask for pain killers to sleep because my breasts were hurting so much. The midwives took Kyle that night and didn't bring him back, I just didn't want him, I didn't want to look at him really and couldn't look after him (feel a bit sad about that now but it was the best thing for me at the time). I was so hot that night too that I lay completely naked on the bed and they eventually brought me a fan. (Think I surprised a few nurses with my fat nakedness eugh, but thats how much I didn't care)

Morning: They finally brought him back to me at 7am and I was so bad that night I decided to formula feed - I gave up on breastfeeding at the first hurdle :( But I fell in love with him then, I cried when they gave him to me out of joy and finally was happy.

Care: The midwives were absolutely fantastic and I had the best one when I was in labour, she even came to theatre with me just to sit and talk. Had to have a blood transfusion and 2 day stay in hospital but was let home after that and Kyle was absolutely fine, he has the biggest blue eyes and just stares at everybody quietly :) Here's my little chubs:

https://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc147/kezbabe_2001/100_1918.jpg
https://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc147/kezbabe_2001/100_1928.jpg
https://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc147/kezbabe_2001/100_2163.jpg

I felt really similar to you after Ally was born...I think it's normal when you don't see them for a few hrs after they're born.

He's gorgeous :hugs: congratulations

Congrats hun and well done xxx. He so gorgeous.

congratulations and what a great weight for your baba

Congrats, it's not easy giving birth to a baby that big my not so little man was 10lb8oz and that hurt. BTW your baby is gorgeous.

Thanks ladies :) Yes he was big and yes it hurt, took me 8 weeks to heal but all ok now :)

The annoying thing is everybody is now telling me that your next one will be bigger!!! oh no.....

what a brilliant weight, congrats he is gorgeous xxx

Aww he is beautiful hun - well done to to you, delivering such a big baby

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back