L&D Nurse, and I am confused!

sjackson310

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just received my very first + pregnancy test today! :) I am a 24 year old L&D RN (been doing this for 7 months now) and while I know ALL about the end stage of pregnancy, I have NO idea what to do from here. I understand you see an OB, but don't know how that whole process with insurance works. Is it just like finding a primary care doctor? Just see who accepts your insurance and go with them? I assume you get your beta hcg done at your primary care physician and then make an appt with your OB? When does the OB typically start seeing you, at how many weeks? At what # of weeks do they typically do ultrasounds?

I feel very silly for having to ask these questions due to my profession but I honestly have no idea and I won't be working again until May 6th so I can't ask one of the doctors. It was our first month TTC and I really didn't think it would actually happen :happydance: Thanks in advance!

It depends on your insurance; some you can go wherever it's accepted, some have contracted providers, some need referrals from your regular doctor. Call them and ask.

Oh goody -_- Alrighty I will do that. I am not even sure how much of this they cover.
I see you're from Texas, I am too :) Killeen.

Barely Texas....El Paso :p Only until next year, at least!

I'm in canada so I know it's different. Here we find a OB or Midwife that we like and go with tthem. Midwives here tend to have more L&D privileges, are easier to find and nicer to work with. They see us here around 7 weeks for first visit. It's just lots of chatting and getting to know one another and bloods are ordered. Ultrasounds depending on if you know conception or not. You might get an early dating or a 12 week dating. For sure a 19 weeks scan.

unknown as live uk an go too ob conrcted to gp/midwife unit. Here first consultant apoint is 14 or 16 weeks but we only see them if high risk here as i am then i get few extra us due history pre e an high bp (measure babies growth) this is my 3rd preg an i didnt see ob/consultant in first till labour when bp went sky high. Second preg under consultant due first labour, an this preg ill see them after 12week scan, bp borderline an on certain meds. Am 9+5

Some things to consider if your insurance allows you choices of providers- How many doctors are in the group? Less doctors vs more doctors each have their advantages and disadvantages. What hospital does your group practice work with primarily? In a smaller town this probably isn't an issue but where I'm at certain groups deliver at certain hospitals so I made sure to choose a group that delivered at the hospital of my choice. Do they insist on an binding arbitration policy (google). Do the doctors support the type of birth pan you may have in mind (if any). Lastly if you prefer options for additional scanning, level testing, and proactive medical support of a threatened pregnancy are they aligned with you?

There are a lot of ladies on here who report back that their doctors refuse to scan or test levels until later in the pregnancy when they are having issues like spotting or pain and end up searching for new doctors midway through the firs trimester which can be traumatizing when you are trying to remain stress free. If you have options ask questions based on your priorities...this is an important relationship you will have for the nest 9 months! Happy and healthy 9 months to you!

Hi there :)

I found a new doctor because my old OBGYN has 15 doctors in her practice and her office staff was rude. So basically how it works with my insurance BCBS AL was I went in and they tested me again, and then I went and gave blood, filled out insurance paperwork, then they called me back to a nurses office and made me sign a form saying what my insurance covered and what it didnt and what i would have to pay before the birth. I signed it, then they asked me a lot of questions. I did not see a doctor that day as I was only 7 weeks. Today I am 8+5 and see the doctor on Wed morning. So they normally make you wait 8-9 weeks to see the doctor for viability reasons. They wont be able to see a baby on a scan or hear the heartbeat if its too early. I was also told by my old OBGYN office that in case I have a miscarriage they don't want to see me before 9 weeks. hence the reason I left, :)

Did you make an appt? How far along do you think you are? Best wishes <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->