L-lysine during PG?

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Was wondering if any of you have taken L-lysine during pregnancy, and if so did the baby turn out healthy?

I asked my OB/GYN if it was safe and her response was that it was PG category B (I've read otherwise online) and that I should only take it if I absolutely need to. I have never had a cold sore before, but two years ago a blood test showed that I had been exposed to the cold sore virus at some point. When I told my Dr this, she said that I shouldn't be taking it prophylactically, but that if I ever actually get a cold sore, to consider taking it then. Her stance is that a pregnant woman should never take any medication/treatment unless it's necessary.

Thoughts?

I am TTC #1 (testing in 11 days!) and stopped taking lysine when we started trying, but now am getting a tingle in my lip and popped a 500mg tab today.

Thanks!

I don't know why you'd take it unless you have a cold sore - it's not going to completely cure you of the virus, just ward off symptoms (in other words, make the cold sore go away). I haven't taken it, but I have a cat with a chronic herpes virus problem, and he gets it daily! He's still symptomatic, so I wouldn't risk it if pregnant since it doesn't seem to work really well anyway.

I take it to prevent cold sores because I test positive for HSV1. Even though I've never had one, I could get one. I wouldn't know because I started taking Lysine the second I found out that I'd been exposed to it. I've heard from lots of folks that it prevents cold sores, but that it doesn't do much if you already have a cold sore.

Plus, it has totally eradicated my acne and made my skin look great. It's an amino acid found in meats and dairy products (which I don't get a ton of because I'm a vegetarian). The daily recommended dietary intake is 12 mg/kg body weight (709 mg for me), and I took a 500mg supplement. I don't see how that could pose a risk to my little poppy seed (if he/she is in there)...?

Oh I see. If you're not getting much from your diet, there's probably no harm in it. I'm just overly cautious about ingesting anything medicine-like. If you're seeing other benefits from it, then I guess keep going with it. For me, I'd probably just wait to see if I get a cold sore and do a topical thing if it did crop up.

My husband had a cold sore 4 years ago and hasn't had one since, and he's been stressed out plenty of times. It's a weird/inconsistent bug to have!

Yeah, definitely. I seriously doubt that my dose (500mg) does anything anyway, it's probably totally psychological :p

I've been taking it nearly every day, with the exception of a couple of weeks when I ran out and didn't get to the store. The MD said it was fine to continue taking throughout the pregnancy. I did notice that I got several cold sores during those weeks when I wasn't taking the L-Lysine. Now that I'm back to taking it again, there haven't been any. (Though it could be that my stress level has gone down as well.)

Right when I found out about the pregnancy, I got a zoster on my eyelid and was told to take my prescription Valtrex. I just did that for 1 day to help with it clearing up. I'm choosing to not take Valtrex for anything around my mouth, just my eyes as it could threaten my vision.

It's definitely a good idea to talk to your doctor/midwife about anything you're taking - prescription/OTC/homeopathic/etc. Personally, I'm comfortable with the L-Lysine and wasn't given any indication that there was something to worry about there.

I stopped taking it during pregnancy just in case and the blooming cold sores came back with a vengeance! L-Lysine is the only thing thats settled mine down to nothing once it's properly in my system. Brilliant stuff.

Hi All,

Taking l-lysine occassionally is likely safe but don't recommend taking it for too long at a time.

The reason for that is that l-lysine works by competing for absorbtion with another amino acid l-argnine. The herpes virus feeds off l-argnine so low levels will starve it and stop the cold sore.

the down side of taking l-lysine is that your body (and baby) will be starved of l-argnine as well. This is fine short term but to be safe don't take it for more then a few weeks at a time if you can help it.

I recommend taking when you have an outbreak or if you are particulary at risk (eg if you are stressed, very tired, getting the flu, been in the sun a lot).

Also I personally know how impossible it is to prevent an outbreak but give yourself the best odds with improving your immune system with vitimans, zinc, rest and a good lip balm with sun protection.

Hi All,

Taking l-lysine occassionally is likely safe but don't recommend taking it for too long at a time.

The reason for that is that l-lysine works by competing for absorbtion with another amino acid l-argnine. The herpes virus feeds off l-argnine so low levels will starve it and stop the cold sore.

the down side of taking l-lysine is that your body (and baby) will be starved of l-argnine as well. This is fine short term but to be safe don't take it for more then a few weeks at a time if you can help it.

I recommend taking when you have an outbreak or if you are particulary at risk (eg if you are stressed, very tired, getting the flu, been in the sun a lot).

Also I personally know how impossible it is to prevent an outbreak but give yourself the best odds with improving your immune system with vitimans, zinc, rest and a good lip balm with sun protection.

I would be so disappointed if I couldn't take my lysine! I take a suppression dose everyday.

Is there anyone else that has taken it during her pregnancy and everything turned out ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->