Labour & Fitness

Mango

Reaction score
Hi ladies, just wondering if anyone knows of or thinks there is any correlation between ease of labour and a woman's level of fitness both before and during pregnancy.

Is labour supposedly faster and less painful for really fit women?

I wouldn't have thought it made much of a difference to be honest.

I don't consider myself to be unfit, a little overweight maybe but I get plenty of exercise, and I had to be induced and had a 3 day labour with horrendous back pain and couldn't move on the bed as I was in so much pain.

Cx

Thanks MrsE, I was wondering if there was much truth to the statement.

I've been taking a few prenatal fitness classes that focus on pelvic tilts, kegal excercises and a few yoga moves. Supposidly they should ensure I have an easier labour with reduced pain. I've been asking a lot of people who play sports or work out daily how their pregnancies were and most of them have said it was pretty easy.

Just wondering if there was any truth to it all as I'm kind of hoping to have a natural birth and avoid the unnatural pain relief options....

Anyone else care to share?

A woman I know is super fit, competes in triathlons and marathons and such, and her stomach muscles actually got in the way during labor, like they were so tight that they were not allowing the baby to move down. So she ended up with a c section.

So I guess there is such a thing as being too fit. But yoga and kegels sound like a good plan.

I think you need to find a balance, if you are underweight, weak and tired in general you may find labour more of a struggle, but you don't want to get to the other extreme either. Gentle exercise such as swimming, walking, using an exercise bike, can be great until you near the end of pregnancy and no doubt make you feel more prepared, confident and strong for the birth! I wouldn't overdo it though, take it easy :)
Edit - Was also going to say about kegel exercises or yoga to calm you, but noticed you said that in a previous post.

I hardly "exercised" during my pregnancy, im quite active anyway.. did a lot of walking and stuff but nothing major at all as i've never enjoyed exercising. I had gas and air (I cheated, I know!) and coped with giving birth far better than I thought I would have, so I doubt theres a really great link between the two, just depends on what you're like with pain and a load of other things like what position baby is in etc.

I don't think there is a correlation.

If you are going to have a natural childbirth, I highly suggest the book, "Natural Childbirth, the Bradley Way' by Susan McCutheon and also "Husband Coached Childbirth" by Dr. Bradley. He talks about in there how being physically fit doesn't prepare you for childbirth.

They also talk about doing kegels as well.

Thanks so much ladies! Really appreciate it ! Definitely not going to overdo it. I guess I will just see when the time comes. Holldoll I'll look for those books, thanks :)

A woman I know is super fit, competes in triathlons and marathons and such, and her stomach muscles actually got in the way during labor, like they were so tight that they were not allowing the baby to move down. So she ended up with a c section.

So I guess there is such a thing as being too fit. But yoga and kegels sound like a good plan.

my stomach muscles feel like that now its like ok i still got three more months to go are they going to stretch already --lol

thx, Mango :hi:

does anybody know where I could get those weights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->