Lactose in Microgyn Pills...

laurag15

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been on the pill Microgyn for about 6 years now and never noticed untill yesterday that it contains Lactose.
I think I am lactose intollerant, as milk and some dairy products make me ill (bad stomach, sick etc) so I have to stick to soya.
This is going to sound realy bad, but I have felt sick on and off for years, but I have just been putting it down to anxiety and IBS (as my family suffer with both)
Does anyone think that the lactose in these pills is what could be making me feel ill? Or would be too small amount to affect me?
Thanks

It's possible, maybe if you've been avoiding any Lactose intake altogether in you diet then even a very small amount could be affecting you :shrug:

You should probably have a chat with your Doctor about it and see what they think. :hugs:

YES!! I'm lactose intollerent and tablets countaining lactose upset my stomach, so I avoid them. Hope you feel better soon. xxx

I can't believe they don't tell you things like that when you go on a pill!
I don't think they tell you about the side affects or possible reactions, i think they just stick us on one and hope for the best most of the time.
I would go see a doctor and ask but it sounds like it could be playing a part in your upset stomach.

Missvicki - they can't tell everybody about every single symptom and side effect and ingredient for each drug when they prescribe them, as they simply do not have the time.

When you are prescribed a tablet there is always an information leaflet within the box and it always tells you to read this fully before taking the tablets.

To the OP - Microgynon pills are really tiny and I'm not sure such a small amount could have such an effect on you, but you never know. I don't know enough about lactose intolerance to be able to advise. I would suggest speaking to your GP - there are many, many different types of pills and I'm sure another one may be suitable for you. All the best x

funny thing is, ive read the leaflet several times but iv never noticed is saying that it contains lactose. it only clicked yesterday! which is very strange lol

funny thing is, ive read the leaflet several times but iv never noticed is saying that it contains lactose. it only clicked yesterday! which is very strange lol
Is it a different brand of microgyn than usual? Or a slightly different box? I take tablets for my stomach and one time when I went to the pharmacy the gave me a different brand of the same name tablet, and that one contained lactose. xx

lactose is used in many tablets. In my b12 tablets it says that the amount of lactose should be too small to affect someone intolerant. Its hard to tell and depends on the person. I would try a different pill myself and see, its the only way to know for sure I'm afraid.

My DH is badly lactose intolerant (really bad - vomitting for hours etc.), and ok he's never taken microgynon, but he does take other medication that contains lactose and he doesn't have a problem with it for some reason. He has to ask for medication that doesn't contain lactose as the GP won't automatically prescribe it, even though he knows DH is so badly intolerant. It's actually pretty difficult to find standard over-the-counter or off the shelf medication that doesn't contain lactose.

I presume you're checking the ingredients on everything you eat?

Going on a lactose free diet is a b*gger, there is lactose in everything, and many times in things we don't realize, as so many e-numbers are based around lactose. I actually am going to start tomorrow a lactose free diet for 1 or 2 weeks and try again how I react as it isn't very clear if I am intolerant or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->