Ladies who love to workout!! HELP!

mommyof5

My Eggo is Prego
Reaction score
So I am a huge advocate of working out, I love to run for long distances. But more recently I started to question if this was hurt my chances of becoming pregnant, I asked my doctor and he said absolutely not. But this is why I think so, I have had 5 pregnancies, the first three I had no problem getting pregnant and carrying to full term. After third pregnancy my husband deployed and I got into running, since then I have had 2 pregnancies and lost both of them. Did this happen to anyone else? Did anyone else stop working out? I refuse to workout now because I would rather have a baby then an hour on a treadmill. Any advice? Similar stories?

So I am a huge advocate of working out, I love to run for long distances. But more recently I started to question if this was hurt my chances of becoming pregnant, I asked my doctor and he said absolutely not. But this is why I think so, I have had 5 pregnancies, the first three I had no problem getting pregnant and carrying to full term. After third pregnancy my husband deployed and I got into running, since then I have had 2 pregnancies and lost both of them. Did this happen to anyone else? Did anyone else stop working out? I refuse to workout now because I would rather have a baby then an hour on a treadmill. Any advice? Similar stories?

Exercise is fine - the problem is when you are not eating enough to support your essential/healthy body fat levels. Marathon runners and bodybuilders tend to be especially vulnerable to this - a woman's body will make all attempts to prevent pregnancy in times of famine/starvation as a safety mechanism and when a woman's body fat levels dip too low (ie. 12-15%) it can affect fertility.

As long as you are eating properly you will be fine. Unfortunately, your MC's are extremely unlikely to be related to your exercise - the truth is that it probably just happened and we don't know why. As for personal experience, I recently MC'd and did not exercise through this pregnancy as a safety precaution. With my son, I was powerlifting/running on a daily basis.

Keep your nutrition at a proper level and enjoy your exercise.

Thanks for you input. I know its unlikely but I feel like that is the only thing that has changed between my pregnancies.

If your heart tells you that you'd rather just avoid it altogether then do so. There's no harm in taking a "break" from the exercise :hugs: You can always start back up again after the baby is born.

If your heart tells you that you'd rather just avoid it altogether then do so. There's no harm in taking a "break" from the exercise :hugs: You can always start back up again after the baby is born.

Very true, I decided to start walking. Which has been horrible, because I am used to running for a long time but I decided that it cant hurt, I dont need to work out for any other reason than because I like to.

:hugs: Good luck with whatever you decide

I was working out 4 days a week (arms, legs, cardio, core respectively) and they were pretty tough workouts (for me at least) and am now pregnant with twins. I did have to stop my workouts about 6/7 weeks in due to some brown discharge though and because I'm carrying twins and high risk I haven't picked them back up

Hey girl,

I have been an avid runner since I was a teenager, I stopped running when pregnant with DS, but after I gave birth, I was back at it, 5+ miles EVERY single day, it's like an addiction for me lol. I have actually ran and exercised so much my whole life that I never had regular periods until after having DS, that was the first time they were ever normal. When I was trying to conceive DS, I stopped working out thinking it would bring my periods back, but it didn't. I ended up having to take Provera and Clomid to get pregnant.

When I got pregnant with #2 this past summer, I was still running 5+ miles every single day and being a busy mom, I don't always have time to eat, I maybe eat one good meal a day, and yet somehow I still conceived again without needing to take any meds :D

Just thought I'd share my journey since I consider myself an exercise fiend and I have one healthy child and one on the way ;)

:dust:

Hey girl,

I have been an avid runner since I was a teenager, I stopped running when pregnant with DS, but after I gave birth, I was back at it, 5+ miles EVERY single day, it's like an addiction for me lol. I have actually ran and exercised so much my whole life that I never had regular periods until after having DS, that was the first time they were ever normal. When I was trying to conceive DS, I stopped working out thinking it would bring my periods back, but it didn't. I ended up having to take Provera and Clomid to get pregnant.

When I got pregnant with #2 this past summer, I was still running 5+ miles every single day and being a busy mom, I don't always have time to eat, I maybe eat one good meal a day, and yet somehow I still conceived again without needing to take any meds :D

Just thought I'd share my journey since I consider myself an exercise fiend and I have one healthy child and one on the way ;)

:dust:

Thanks! That is encouraging, I as well never had normal cycles till after I had my first. I too run from 5-7 miles 5 days a week and because of that I dont eat much. I have not ran for a little over a week andI think I am going to lose my mind if I dont run soon. I am pretty sure I am pregnant but you never know until AF shows or a pregnancy test is positive.

You sound just like me, lots of running, little eating lol :D

I didn't know I was pregnant with #2 until I was almost 8 weeks so I kept running because I didn't feel sick or anything, except a couple days I woke up feeling "off" so I figured I would go for my run and that would help lol. Once I hit my 8th week, I was SO sick, so I definitely had to hang up my running shoes, but as soon as I started feeling better (around week 11-12), I was at least able to go to the gym and use the elliptical, my doc said I could continue to run as long as I didn't let myself get out of breath, but I found the elliptical was just more comfortable for me, less impact...can't wait to get back to my runs!

Keep us posted, hope you get your BFP!! :dust:

Basically what everyone else said-- exercise can only affect your pregnancy if it is in bizarre excess. There's usually absolutely no rhyme or reason to m/c... I know we WANT to pin it on something, so we feel like we can control it, but the deep down truth is that both of your m/c's were likely just chance. The same thing happened to me... had two kids no problem, no complications, 5 years later decided to try for #3, got pregnant VERY easily but kept losing them. Finally after my second loss, I was told not to try again for 3 months, so that's when I STARTED working out hard, hoping that by getting my body in the best possible shape, I could somehow contribute to keeping the next LO. I knew in my heart that it was out of my control, but I felt like I had to do SOMETHING.
I did, by the way, keep my third and I'm currently 32 weeks along with him. :happydance: I wasn't overweight enough for my doctor to think that my 'health' had anything to do with my m/cs, but I knew the getting healthy couldn't hurt. (I did continue to run until my bump got too big.)

So...same could be for you, like Aliss said, it can't hurt to chill on the vigorous exercise. But if you ever find yourself needing a good run, know that it really is not going to hurt your pregnancies.

Drum roll please!!!! I am pregnant!!! Only time will tell now if the baby sticks. If it does I will insist on never working out again if I am trying!

omg CONGRATS!!! :hugs2: that's amazing news!!! Lots of well wishes for a H&H 9 months!

So this is my story, I had a HCG quant done on thursday, it was negative. Sunday morning I got a + urine test. I bought 3 different brands and they were all positive. Then today I got a blood HCG taken again and it was negative. I went home and took more tests and different brand all positive, even a digi was positive. I took them back to the doctor and he has no idea what is going on. Anyone else have this happen? I am not on fertility drugs at all.

Here's the tests, the FRER are horrible test takers
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-tests/798753-help-me-blood-urine.html#post13971102

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->