Ladies with high bmi

familygirl30

Reaction score
Hi ladies I got my Bfp on Christmas eve, very happy but also very nervous because of my weight I'm a UK size 20/22 and tbh been trying to conceive since Aug and aft Christmas my plan was to go on a diet and get some weight off. Ive booked to see the Dr in the new year as I have to b on blood thinning injections through pregnancy as had a dvt years ago.Just feeling really worried that my weight going to be a big issue, this will be my 2Nd baby, I had a high bmi last time but I weigh more this time and didn't need to see a dietician through last pregnancy
My appointment with the gp is on the 4th Jan, do I book midwife appointment while I'm at the surgery?

I have a high bum as well, my gp didn't say anything about it on my pregnancy confirmation visit, but I am sure they will double check for diabetes and such. I am trying to get past my morning sickness to use my elliptical a bit. Just do the best you can and watch the sugary snacking. That's the best we can do right now I think!

I live in the US so unsure about the process there, but this is my fifth pregnancy, and I am a UK 24/26! I was a few sizes smaller when pregnant with my first baby, but I've had back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back babies and get pregnant again as soon as my nursing babies start sleeping through the night. My weight has never been an issue. I've had a bunch of perfect pregnancies and have had natural, pain-relief-free labors and vaginal deliveries without any issues, as well. I think they just need to stop scaring and blaming us. I think you'll be fine. I know that we're at a higher risk of high blood pressure and the like, but if our bodies thought we were too heavy to safely carry a baby, they wouldn't let us get pregnant. That's why so many overweight people have fertility problems (hormones, bodies saying NO WAY!) and get pregnant as soon as they lose a chunk of weight.

Thank u for the replies ladies, Ive held bk feeling excited about it all because of my weight, even had a good cry earlier thinking no maternity clothes will b in my size, thank u

Do not to worry, most women who are overweight have a straightforward pregnancy and birth, and have healthy babies. However, being overweight does increase the risk of complications for both you and your baby. Instead of trying to lose weight, try to practice a healthier lifestyle. If you develop good eating habits and start to exercise regularly, it will reduce the risk of your pregnancy. Good antenatal care can help to minimise the risks.

My bmi with my daughter was 36 (I was a size 14 & very active) the midwife put me under a consultant incase I had a large baby. This meant after every scan (you get extra growth scans) I had a consultant & midwife appointment. My weight was rarely mentioned again as my daughter was growing normally and I was never weighed again until I was in labour incase they had to give me an epidural. I was given a diabetes test. My daughter when born was 7.4lb so normal size.

This pregnancy I am bmi 35 - mainly due to Christmas weight gain, I am again a size 14 and very active. I will probably drop below bmi 35 before I see a midwife. The NHS refer anyone BMI 35 or over to a consultant.

I was never made to feel bad about my weight and liked getting the extra scans. I think its just precautionary as the more overweight you are they seem to think you will have a bigger baby (I disagree with this).

Try to enjoy your pregnancy - if your midwife/consultant ever makes you feel bad ask to be transferred to another midwife/consultant.

I was a size 24/26 with Thomas and Sophie. My weight probably caused my labour to stall with Thomas a so had a c-section in the end, but all was fine and the pregnancy itself was great.

I was a size 16 with Emma and pregnancy was no different. I did have GD with both Emma and Sophie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->