Laparoscopic surgery...when can I expect bowel activity?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
On Tuesday I had laparoscopic surgery to remove my gallbladder. I went into theater at 8:30am and I was home by 3pm.

I haven't had even a single fart! Let alone anything else. It's now 7:26am Wednesday morning here and I haven't had a poo since Monday morning.

All I have eaten is soup. I'm peeing fine.

Anyone else here had this sort of surgery and can tell me your experience?

I've had it but it didn't affect my bowels, I'd call your GP and mention it.

Is there a particular reason the only thing you are eating is soup?

They said no fatty foods for 24 hours, and to be honest I have zero appetite and the thought of food makes me feel a little queesy. Soup is easy and fast, I can just drink it from a mug.

I'll call the nurse at the GP clinic, thanks for your help.

I had a #2 straight after the surgery and had regular movements since then so I have no idea if its normal to not go for some time. I'd imagine if you haven't really eaten then there isn't really anything to pass. Do you feel constipated at all? A quick call to your doctor would be good, make sure everything's okay.

In the US you aren't allowed to leave the hospital until you pass gas and have a bowel movement. I did both within a few hours of having surgery. I would definitely call your GP soon.

Definitely call your GP, usually they don't like you to even leave the hospital until you've had a bowel movement.

Tammy, that's untrue. I had lap Nov 2012 and then again last month and they let me go as soon as I could urinate. With me, it took me 3 days after the first and 5 days after the second! Drank a ton of water, ate fruit all day and took fiber. I eventually was regular again. Call your Dr if your struggling, they can give you something.

I don't feel at all constipated. With my c-sections they kept asking me if I'd passed wind and wanted me to do a poo ASAP.

My last proper solid meal was 5:30pm Monday so perhaps there isn't really anything to come out.

I called the GP clinic and left a message.

I had a lap but no bm issues. Perhaps the lack of solid food is what is the issue? Just give your GP a ring and see if there is something you can do to help you along.

I FARTED! Yes! Hehe...bit of progress. I still don't feel like eating, even soup feels a bit much.

It's just a day surgery, I'd only have been able to stay longer if there were complications and they had to do the traditional large cut.

Thanks for all your replies.

I guess what I should have said is most hospitals won't let you leave until you pass gas or have a BM and it actually is very important. The anesthesia puts you and hence your bowels to sleep. The reasoning behind not letting you leave is to make sure your bowels and the digestive system are working properly.

I had to get home to the kids so had no choice really, there is no one else to watch them. I'm kinda surprised myself that they didn't ask me anything about my bowels also, at least about passing wind. The nurse didn't even check my dressings before I left.

At the time I was so dopey none of it registered with me. As soon as I was able to get up to pee, the nurse was very pleased and said I could go home shortly. I woke up from theater at 11am and they said I could go at 1:45ish I think.

Still no bowel motions and my weight isn't going down despite the lack of solids. I had one small solid meal about 12 hours ago, a little bit of boiled potato and some broccoli. So it's Thursday morning here now. Nurse never called me back from the GP clinic!

I actually weigh more today than when I went in for the surgery which is depressing.

Opposite problem to constipation, now I have diarrhea all day! Dijestive system does not feel happy. I feel like the few minutes warning discomfort I used to get before a gallbladder attack all day now.

Should I back off the solid foods?

I would. After my surgery all I could really keep down was mostly food in a liquid form, jello, soup...stuff like that. I also had a bad case of diarrhea after possibly from not eating for over a week and then reintroducing food or it could have been from the anesthesia. I know it was very painful for a while. I hope you feel better soon because I know it's not fun at all.

Thank you. There's minimal pain from the incision sites, it's all just digestive system hurting now. Feels like a mild attack? Also very tender to the touch where my gallbladder was.

I've backed off from 'real' foods and going back to soup. Starting to wish I hadn't had the surgery now.

You probably will get the runs for some time, your body needs time to adjust the amount of bile it makes, and in the beginning it can make too much hence diarrhoea. I had it for a few days afterwards.

I also had one mild attack afterwards and never again since. No idea what can cause it when there's nothing there. I think it happens because a stone was left behind or something.

I guess some people get affected more than others. Your body probably just need to adjust to the changes and realise that it needs to make bile on demand rather than make it and store it.

Opposite problem to constipation, now I have diarrhea all day! Dijestive system does not feel happy. I feel like the few minutes warning discomfort I used to get before a gallbladder attack all day now.

Should I back off the solid foods?
I had that after. It takes a bit for your system to get used to not having it. Avoid fatty foods or anything that gave you an attack for at least a week. It will get better.

I had my gallbladder out over a year ago. I was pregnant within a month so constipated due to that. Now though however I still have problems with fatty foods and get diareah from them and only a few minutes warning before I have to go. It's just a side effect from the surgery and it's better to know that I did it to my self then wait for another attack iykwim. I hope it gets better for ya!!

Thank you! I am feeling a lot better today. I have eaten pretty much zero fat since the surgery, and have lost 3.6kg (woohoo). The diarrhea happens once a day which doesn't bother me right now.

I can eat more chunky stuff now, before it was plain broth, now I've made a sort of meatless stew with potatoes, mushrooms, lentils, carrots etc. Yummy and goes down well.

Feeling very glad that I feel better! Period is due on Christmas day so already had that to make me feel grumpy, let alone not being able to eat any yummy christmas food lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->