Laptop users read this...

redhead31

It's me, hubby and bump
Reaction score
New evidence that I think you will be interested in hearing about (I'm not wanting to scare anyone but people in my family feel really strongly about the effects of radiation from laptops on unborn babies and I feel it is best to tell you all about it so you are aware of the possible dangers.)

My sister has two healthy children after very straightforward pregnancies then she bought a laptop - and had two silent miscarriages. She is now pregnant with her third and is spending a lot less time on her laptop and, so far, everything is turning out well for her again.
Now, for the last couple of years everyone in our family has thought there is a strong connection between the use of laptops and silent miscarriages as my cousin had a silent miscarriage while using one (but once we had told her to ditch the laptop she went on to have a normal pregnancy) and also one of my friends had the same thing happen.

Anyway, this week there has been some new evidence around laptops and their effects on cell formation (ie - the growth of a feutus, which is ALL about cell formation)
Here is an extract from a national newspaper:
Voice, the teaching union, has renewed its calls for a full scientific investigation to establish the facts about the long-term effects of using wi-fi. Secretary Philip Parkin said: "Just because a few laptops have been tested and found to have no immediate effects doesn't mean there might not be long-term effects using wi-fi. In the past two years there has been a great weight of evidence which suggests that exposure to electromagnetic radiation (EMR) can produce changes in cell formation, genetic changes and potential cancers. Exposure levels are only half the story; length of exposure is crucial too. Long exposures at low intensity levels may be as damaging as high exposure levels for short periods."

So girls, once again I'm not trying to scare anyone but maybe just ease up on your use of laptops if you are on them a lot, and make sure you don't ever sit with them on your lap - put them on a desk or table in front of you.

Please can you just put in an entry to keep this at the top of the threads list for a few days so as many people as possible see it - if it helps to avoid just one silent miscarriage then it will be worth it - thanks x

Just so I can clarify, what's the problem, WiFi or laptops in general? :wacko:

Sorry - the article is about wireless laptops as the signal from the wireless router to the laptop is supposed to cause problems. However, my parents believe that the radiation thrown out by the laptop (which is the same stuff used in a microwave oven) can cause problems if it is kept close to your body. No one in my family is a scientist but they have really looking into this and read some of the research surrounding radiation and its affects on unborn babies.

you are subject to wi-fi where ever you are though? if I search to wifi connections I can find several in buildings around mine? Even hotels have wifi everywhere....

Your parents know more than scientists?

Maybe I am being oversensitive but feel crap now being told my daughter could have died because of me

TBH they said that mobiles caused brain tumours and i recently heard that there isn't conclusive evidence that it does. I mean how many people do you know who use a mobile phone and how many have had a brain tumour?

There is a lot of things in the papers, especially the daily mail that say this and that it bad for your health and can cause miscarriages, cancer etc. I tend to take things with a pinch of salt.

I think redhead was only trying to be nice in informing us in something she believes in girls, not so much on the scientific side of things. Thanks for the information huny, I for sure won't be sitting with my laptop on my knee anymore the thought of the same rays as microwave ovens being Beemed into me is scary. Anything to help my next pregnancy potencially be healthy is welcomed by me so cheers for that chick xxxx lov Caz xxxx

This is something that I have worried about and did a post on it when I first got pregnant and people didn't seem to think that it would cause any problems. However, I have suffered 3 m/c's. Next time I get pregnant I won't be using lap top on knee just incase.

Resurrecting an old thread here ladies but just found this and found it VERY interesting.

I have just had a mmc in April and use my laptop on my lap all the time! Go on it every day in general (it is here sitting on my lap now!) This thread has made me wonder as I do wonder in general about the effects of all new technology these days. I am going to, as from now, decrease how often I use my laptop and, if I do use it, will put it on a surface somewhere not on my lap.

Anything to help my next pregnancy go smoothly :thumbup:

My friends Dr. told her she shouldn't put her laptop setting on her stomach while she was pregnant.

I think this is a reasonable concept. There are a lot of women that don't dye their hair when pregnant, or at least for the first trimester. Sure DR's say it is safe to dye our hair, but there is a small chance the chemicals can affect your growing baby, so most women don't.
It's the same here. If there is a small chance using a laptop on your knees is bad, then just don't.

I'm not sure how long using my laptop is 'safe' tho? I'll be keeping it on a table from now on, but I don't know how long I can use it for ??
Any ideas?

While I dont kniw anything about this, I can give you guys a tip...if you are ttc, tell your OH not to sit with his laptop on his lap. Studies show having a laptop on the lap can temporarily lower sperm count (due to heat I believe?)

As for the other info, I dont know if it is true or not but if I am lucky enough to conceive again, I will definitely be more careful.

Thank you I had worried about this as I sit with my laptop on my lap for a long period most nights and had wondered whether it could contribute. I will not be sitting with my laptop on my lap any time soon. I'm going to take this the same as the recommendations to not eat salami and blue cheese, there is a possibility that it could hurt so stay away.
I too now feel horrible, I was on antibiotics with both pg and used my laptop every day too. no wonder I'm not a mummy

Thanks for this thread, i have to be honest and I know it could be a million things that caused my miscarriage however after having a heathy pregancy looked to what I did differently this time and the main thing would be the laptop, I was working from home and as I was more comfy on the settee had it on my lap, I did try to surf the net on this but didnt come up with anything, these things are sometimes just never explained but I will avoid having it on my lap for lengthy periods next time :hugs:

I sat with my laptop on my stomach everyday the entire time I was pregnant this last time :'( I was wondering the same thing but remained unconcerned until now

While using a desktop computer, I have given birth to 2 wonderfully healthy boys. Since I started using my laptop(s), I have lost 3 second trimester babies. I had done research on this topic before, but found several people/reports saying it was totally safe to continue to use my laptop while pregnant/TTC. I will be making some changes...

Thank you for the info. Didnt think much about it before but now i'm thinking about it we had a normal desk top computer when i was pregnant with dannielle. But now we have a laptop which i used while pregnant last year then lost baby at 10 wks.
Trying again now so think i will be limiting use of the laptop and use it on a table when i need to.

Hi, I don't know much about radiation, but we are told not to have hot baths, electric blankets or hot water bottles as it suddenly increases your temperature. so maybe lay off the laptop (on your lap) as they can also get quite hot, or mine can anyhow! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->