Large yolk sac at 8 weeks - concerned

Sweetkat

Reaction score
I am pregnant after having one DD (who is nearly 4) and 4 miscarriages - 3 MMCs at 8-10 weeks and one chemical.

I had a scan at 6&6 weeks and everything was perfect - CRL 9.4, yolk sac 4mm and heartbeat of 138. Measured a day ahead.

Today I had a second scan at 7&6. CRL is 18.4 (putting me ahead at 8&3 which I know is not possible because I know exactly when we had sex :). Heartbeat is 141 but yolk sac is 5.7 :(

I am worried because some places say it should be 5mm and anything over 6mm is a marker for chromosomal issues.

I wouldn't be as concerned but OH has high sperm DNA fragmentation which can lead to chromosomal abnormalities with the embryo and the other losses were all chromosomal.

Ladies who have had early scans, what were your CRLs and yolk sac measurements at 7 and 8 weeks?

The dr who scanned me said it wasn't large but it came out 95th percentile on the scan report (although so did the CRL).

Hi sweetkat! Those were measurements I have never received myself, but I just wanted to say that you should try to relax and not over think this. You've said anything over 6mm is a marker for chromosomal abnormalities, but your bean is 5.7, so it sounds as though you probably don't have to worry (especially before you are given actual cause or concern from your doctor). I know it's easier said than done, and I would be worrying too (we are pregnant, it's what we do!) but there are so many variations of what is normal and what isnt, that this early on, it is best to focus on the positives, as worrying isn't going to change the outcome. I mean this all as nicely as possible and I am really sorry if I'm not coming off that way! ((hugs))

I think you are in a wait and see situation really. I know how you feel as i was just in a wait and see myself. Ive had lots of mc and mmc so i know the anxiety all too well. If you want my honest thoughts... Not only is your yolk sac large Your heart rate is low too. Its in the 5%. I found the chart on this website very helpful recently when my measurements were off.

https://www.jaypeejournals.com/ejou..._eJournals/images/JPLOGO.gif&IID=185&isPDF=NO.
I do think that since the baby is measuring right on target, even a little big that it is a really good sign especially at 8 weeks. I still think there is a good chance everything could be ok because every baby is different and your measurements are different but not off the charts. I wish you all the best and i truely hope your sweet baby comes into this world happy and healthy. Keep hoping and praying! Stay positive!

Guh, WHY would someone even think that they should come on and tell a woman her baby's heart rate is too slow ::wacko:: the poor woman is already worried, and I'm sorry, her baby's heart rate is fine... My son's heart rate was 96-98 which WAS considered low, and now he is a happy healthy and intelligent little dude. Here is my post from 4 years ago for evidence. https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...uring-4-days-behind-heart-rate-96-98-bpm.html

I'm sure you meant well, but I'm not sure why you think it's okay to create false concern for a mommy to be who is already having worries... Just rubbed this pregnant mama the wrong way :(

Guh, WHY would someone even think that they should come on and tell a woman her baby's heart rate is too slow ::wacko:: the poor woman is already worried, and I'm sorry, her baby's heart rate is fine... My son's heart rate was 96-98 which WAS considered low, and now he is a happy healthy and intelligent little dude. Here is my post from 4 years ago for evidence. https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...uring-4-days-behind-heart-rate-96-98-bpm.html

I'm sure you meant well, but I'm not sure why you think it's okay to create false concern for a mommy to be who is already having worries... Just rubbed this pregnant mama the wrong way :(

I was going to say the same thing. A baby's heartrate can be anywhere from 120-180 (or something like that) at this stage and it's NORMAL. A low heartrate would be 100 or under as you said. And having some idea of what the OP has been thru already (I know her from the RMC boards), to say something like this is a HUGELY triggering thing. As a fellow RMC mom, that comment really got to me too. You just beat me to the punch with your response.

Sweetkat-please disregard the comments about your baby's heartrate being low. It's def NOT. My baby has had a hb of 135-160 every time we've checked and it was checked weekly for much of my first tri (verified by an ultrasound too).

As for the measurements, just remember a few things-first, they are trying to measure something SO itty bitty teeny tiny using very imprecise sound waves. Things like the age of the machine, the angle of the probe, when/where the baby implanted, your uterine shape/tilt, the skill of the tech or dr doing the scan, even how full or not your bladder is can all affect the measurements too. As long as your doctor isn't worried at this point, I'd say you are probably fine. I know it's harder to do than it is to hear-and being from the RMC thread, I know exactly how you are feeling right now-but try to relax. At this point, there isn't anything you can or can't do to change the outcome. Do you have another scan lined up or a doctor's appt in the next while? If not, then I'd set up one or both. The ultrasound may help you feel more confident of a healthy pregnancy and talking this over with the dr, especially since you are already at risk with your DH's fragmentation issues, may help ease some of your fears.

And there's always a chance this is a healthy, normal pregnancy despite the great odds you are facing. I had three children before we found out I NEED a special form of folate to make it to term and this baby has beaten the odds just to be here as it is too. Miracles really do happen and I'm praying this is yours. :hugs: hon and I'm here if you ever need to vent. PM me if you want. I try to log on once a day or so but I will respond when I can and I know what you are going thru because I've been in a similar place.

I wasnt trying to be mean and in no way was I. I have reccurring miscarriages (currently on my 7th) and its nice to get honest answers too. I was giving her a link with scientific information. It clearly states the ranges of hb, crl and gestational sac size for each day. (I know there are healthy babies that differ from this) I wasnt meaning to rub it in her face just give facts which is what she is searching for.

So sorry OP if i have worried you more but I thought you were trying to be the most informed and get real advice/answers. Your numbers are in range (which i was trying to say) and after seeing a hb at 8 weeks your risk of miscarriage is like 2-3%. As i stated before i hope your baby is born happy and healthy. I hope you have another scan soon because i know the torture than waiting for scans is all too well.

Dairymomma, AlexasMummy, thank you for your responses.

Actually I am sort of prepared for this being a miscarriage, not because of anything in particular that's gone horribly wrong, but because the chance of a miscarriage with OH's sperm is more than double. So I decided to try once more naturally knowing it's very unlikely to work.

As for the measurements, the heart rate is 5th percentile (the dr said he measured it at 148 and 149 but the report says 141). Either way it's 5th percentile. On top of that the yolk sac looks like it will grow over 6mm (it went from 4mm to 5.7 in a week).

On top of that I have a subchorionic hematoma although they said not to worry about that... OH is feeling positive and I am not at all :(

Although I was hoping for positive stories of ladies who had yolk sacs of 5.7 and all was fine I am now feeling like it's not meant to be with the heart rate being slow.

I don't have any scans booked but I might go very soon for a rescan and to get an opinion on the yolk sac/ heart rate.

After this I guess IVF it is for me or donor sperm :(

Curly, thank you for your opinion :(

Just started crying while writing this. Only 1% of women have recurrent miscarriages and for some reason I am one of them. Big hugs to everyone.

When they get pregnant people think of baby names and cots, and from day one I was hoping that at least if I miscarry early I won't need a D&C, but I am 8 weeks so it will have to be a D&C. Oh and the 12 week scan would have been on my DD's birthday :( As I got pregnant early June I haven't booked a holiday abroad or anything, because I am having weekly scans and because I can't be on an airplane or on a lovely beach mid miscarriage. So this has been my summer so far. Last year I had a D&C 24 June, looks like it will be another one in July.

Xxxxx

https://www.fetalmedicine.com/synced/fmf/2010_27.pdf

I am well off with this yolk sac here and also the heart rate is slow :(. I have been looking at this and showed to OH and he is stubbornly saying all ok. Well I don't think so because I was told all good at 8 weeks last time and baby turned out to have Downs (because of OH sperm or bad luck) and looks like here we go - round 2, but now alarm bells going off because of heart rate and yolk sac.

I had actually signed all the IVF forms on 17 May and then decided to try naturally 31 May and got pregnant straight away. Maybe I should have done IVF :(

The dr said that one theory for miscarriages is that I am super fertile. Whereas most women discard bad embryos I get pregnant every time I have unprotected sex (sometimes very rarely after 2 cycles but 80% of the time after 1). So maybe I just have to have IVF with PGD to make sure that the embryo is chromosomally normal.

My babies heart rate was 144bpm at 7+3, they didn't give me the yolk size measurement.
Sending you many hugs hun, I know how it is xxx

DairyMomma, just had a look at your journal. You are one strong lady! It's so hard being an RMC lady - I never ever thought it would be me because I got pregnant first cycle with DD and had zero issues. Although to be fair I always was concerned about OH's medication and his sub standard sperm (4% morphology 51% DNA fragmentation).

MyHeart, thank you. I wouldn't be so paranoid but for the sperm, the losses and the combination of yolk sac and heart rate.....

I know hun, it's so very hard, I'm keeping everything crossed for you :hugs:

Thank you Heart..... sort of resigned to it being a bad outcome.... Might go for another scan soon-ish, if the yolk sac grows any more it will definitely be bad news.

I am sorry you are going through this. I can't comment on the sac size as I can't remember what it was at my 6+3 scan. I can speak on the hb as at my 6+3 scan the hb was 97, which is low. My OB told me not to worry as it's early so it's ok. At my 12 week scan everything adjusted and hb went up to 170.

Talk with the Dr and express your concern and see if you can't have another scan done, I wish you all the best!

Thanks Koifish / just waiting for a few days and will go for another scan to see if there is any change or if another sonographer says sth different.

Please, please, please stop worrying about the heartrate. 140-150 is TOTALLY normal for your gestation. I'd be concerned if it were under 100 but 140? No. It's not slow, it's not low, it's normal. In fact, for DS pg, his heartrate was 125-145 the entire pregnancy and my dr never worried. (Just looked up the heartbeat range and anything from 120-180 is considered normal for 8 weeks. Also, remember that babies have sleepy periods too and it's entirely possible your bubba was just taking a nap or chillin' during your scan.)

I do understand why you are concerned though. Having been thru RMC and complicated pregnancies even with my rainbows, it's not easy being pregnant again. The yolk sac size is understandably worrisome for you and I get that. I truly do and I know how hard it is to be pregnant knowing with all your heart that it's almost certainly going to end in a loss. If you read my journal at all, you'll know at least part of my story and if you look especially at the posts I made back in Jan-Mar when I was 1st tri with this baby you'll see just how hard it was for me to be pg. I was prepping myself for another loss every day because I was bleeding, I was cramping, and I had almost no pg symptoms whatsoever. My anxiety was thru the roof. Yet, here I am at 29 weeks and still amazed I'm this far.

I also know there is nothing I can say or do that will ease your mind at this point. PARL is hard enough but when you have known causes for your losses and it's something you can't just treat with a daily pill or a shot, it's even harder. So know that I am thinking of you and I'm sending all the thoughts and prayers and sticky healthy baby vibes I can your way. Believe in miracles, Sweetkat, because they do really happen.

141 hear rate. That's good!!!! Please stop worrying about it! :hugs:

Wanted to say a massive thank you to all the ladies who responded and for your lovely post dairymomma :). It almost made me cry.

Some good news for now (although won't stop worrying until the chromosome tests come back ok). Yolk sac is 4.8mm - made the sonographer measure it 3 times. Heart rate is 176 and the baby measures 20.1mm.

I have no idea why the yolk sac measured so big last time - the dr said the measurements are tiny and it's easy to make a mistake.

Amazing update!!!! Everything sounds great! Im so happy for you! I really hope the chromosome tests come back good so you can just relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

Sweetkat- i suspected as much- it is definitely easy to make an error this early :) and :happydance: for such awesome HR. I have a feeling everything will be just fine for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->