Last Name

kimmy04

Reaction score
There's been a lot of posts on first names but what about last names? For those of you who aren't married but are in a serious relationship, are you giving your LO the fathers last name or yours? I was so sure I wanted to give my LO my OH last name until a friend of mine pointed out how inconvenient it is to have a different last name than your baby (for travelling, crossing the border etc).

What's your opinion on this?

sorry im not much help coz ive been wondering the same thing.and its annoying coz i have family saying "well your not married so dont" and "what if it doesnt work out"..but im pretty sure my bf thinks "well we're gonna get married eventually, so might as well"..grr i have no clue:( and i dont wanna offend my bf

My LO has my OH's last name, we decided to give it to her since the beginning. We've been engaged for almost 2 years and still fully intend on getting married. If we did get divorced or broke up I still wouldn't change LO's last name, I'm not ashamed of it and I quite like it better than mine, lol. I totally unmarried couples not giving the father's last name though. You could always consider a double last name like name-name, I've seen it quite a bit. Then if you got married and chose to drop your last name if you wanted to. I mean, it's totally up to you, your last name, his last name, both last names, it's still both their child. Good luck!
:hugs:

We are giving him both. :) conan mitchell masson adlington. I just felt more comfortable this way and even if we did get married i think i would take two last names as well so we arent different. :)

i have a 2year old son & i gave him his fathers name because that is how we do things in my family im no longer with him but i didnt make this baby we did so its not just about what i wanted it was about what he wanted. i have never had problems with taking him on holiday ect neither did my mum & we have different surnames even though she was married to my dad she didnt change hers. i think if your in a serious relationship it is a nice touch. this baby will have his/her fathers surname aswell because its something he really wants x

Ava ha OH's last name. It was never a decision to talk about, it was just always what would happen. She is his daughter, if we get married I will just change my name. I also hate my last name, his sounds alot better :lol:

My fiance and I have been together for 12 years (this november). We were 16 when we had out first baby and now we are pregnant with our 3rd baby. I have chose to given all my children my last name. Even though we plan on getting married next year when he comes back from afghanistan I am still naming this one with my last name too. I plan on taking his last name when we get married and at that point then I will change all of our chilrens names to his as well. (its free to do that where we live if we change it when we get married.) good luck and remeber its both ur baby so either way u do it, it wouldnt change that. :):)

My LO has my last name. I was pretty adament about it, because I didn't know if we would get married, if he would stick around and/or be a good dad. I figured if we ever got married it would be SO easy to change, but if we ever broke up and he wasn't around it would be fairly difficult to change. My FOB and I broke up and I'm soo thankful I decided to give Kenny my last name. I honestly think that unless you're in a committed serious relationship, living with him and you KNOW that you will marry him.. then give your LO his last name. I've had a couple of friends who were in long-term relationships when down the road they broke up and the fathers weren't around anymore.. of course that doesn't happen to everyone so just do what you feel is right. You could always give a double-barreled last name and give your LO both your and your OH's last names, but it's purely your decision. :hugs:

My little girl will have my OH's last name. I got my dads last name even tho he and my mum wasnt married..

I did say to my OH tho i would only let the baby have his last name if theres a chance of us ever getting married. I wouldnt do it if there wasnt or i wasnt with the dad of my LO :) xx

LO has my last name. My opinion on it is that it's easy to change their name to your OH's if you get married but if LO has OH's name and you split up there isn't much you can do about it.
I have heard a lot of girls say how the really regret not having the same surname as their LO. It's a completely personal decision though :flower:

my daughter has her dads last name. we were together for 4 years and recently broke up, but I'm still glad she has his last name. For one, I hate my last name and two, she is his only other blood relative, and I wouldn't want to take away his family name.

My little girl is having my last name, if me and OH get married (we havent even discussed doing so yet even though we've been together for 3 years) we'll change her and my name to his last name. Its personal choice really. If you go for his last name then be sure that you'd be happy for your baby to keep it if the worst happened and you did seperate. :)

I'd like to give him both our last names however, they are both long and horrible to pronounce it would just be mean! haha.. I always couldn't wait to get rid of my last name (it's German), but his is Norwegian and even worse than mine. Marriage has been talked about, he actually asked me if I wanted to get married before the baby is here but I said I'd rather wait and make sure we are still happy together with all the craziness in our lives! So I'm really stuck. He said he would be devastated if I don't give him his last name because then it's like I don't plan on marrying him which I do.

i've been with my OH for quite a while and when we found out we were having LO it just felt so natural for him to have FOBs surname ... im really glad he has! :flower:

Emma has OH's last name. It just sounds better. And even if we did split, she's his, and im not afraid of her having a diff last name. Plus, we wont be leaving the country any time soon :)

Were giving LO OHs last name. I hate my last name though and always got made fun of for it and his is really simple and what not. That and we both agreed that she should have his last name even if we decide to not get married.
It's a personal choice really. It what works best for your situation =]

well i'm not with anyone and so i would wanna give LO my surname but i don't LIKE my surname... but don't wanna give LO his surname either haha. should i just make one up?
and OP, i'm sure it won't cause too much trouble giving baby ur OH's surname.

We are going to give LO his last name because personally I love it, lol, but also even if we do split I want the baby to have his daddy's last name. I know it makes my OH happy and even if we don't work, if he is a good father and loves his baby there is no need in changing his last name. I just want to be fair. And I want my LO to always know who his daddy is, it's extremely important to me and my OH. He has never known his father, and both my parents don't know their bio father. And at times in my life my father wasn't there. A father is important in a baby's life and even if me and him don't stay together, I wouldn't change LO's last name to mine. I think I only would if OH was horrible and ends up being a dead beat and not doing anything, but if he is a proud father and does his best then there's no reason to change LO's last name to mine. That's my opinion on it!:flower:

Jaymee Has her Fathers last name this baby will also have his/her fathers last Name as its the same last name and I dont want my kids having two different last names and the same father. I was always told your children get their fathers last name and so my children have their fathers last name

My LO will have OH's last name. It was never really an issue because we were engaged before I fell pregnant. Getting engaged, pregnant, and then married seems to be a running trend in my family, and so far, no divorces (knock on wood!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->