Last night SUCKED

N

Nerdy

Warning: RANT

Had HORRIBLE cramping last night and a 3 day long migraine that I had a feeling was attributed to dehydration and I'd done everything I could to hydrate to no avail. No matter how much water and sports drinks I downed, my urine was still ridiculously dark. So my mother and I ran down to the closest ER while hubby stayed home with DS and handled dinner.

IMMEDIATELY was turned away from the ER and told to go to L&D even though I'm only 17 weeks. Got up to L&D and the lady for registration was sweet as sugar, but confused as to why the ER sent me up there. Was put in triage. Explained my concerns to the nurses and on-call doctor who immediately got her back up because my OB doesn't deliver at that hospital (and now I can see why, even though he used to!). With an amazing amount of attitude they had me pee in a cup and go lay down on a bed... Then proceeded to spend TWENTY MINUTES trying to find the heartbeat!!!! I was almost in tears when they finally found it and said I was in the 130s, which is 20bpm down from our 15 week OB visit, but normal. Because she found that, she rushed to discharge us. NEVER checked urine, did a half-assed "oh yeah, I forgot" blood pressure check, which was VERY low, and told me to get dressed. My mother flipped, said we should have an ultrasound because of everything and demanded they check my urine, they said "oh we did, it's all fine" and muttered about when we pointed to the untouched cup that was sitting on the counter. We know for a fact it wasn't touched because we sat there with it the entire time. She then told a nurse "She's fine. She just wanted to hear baby's heartbeat or something. Is it quitting time yet?" :growlmad:

Even as we walked out, the lady in registration was SHOCKED by what they did and said we should call my OB's afterhours. And we did. Word came back to go to the hospital I'm delivering at which is 30 minutes away (thank heaven for C-Sections being scheduled). Got there, explained the same symptoms, were taken back into the ER, hooked up immediately on IV fluids (which I wound up needing two bags of thanks to ketones being found in my NEW urine sample), had an US by a super sweet tech, and finally got the all clear with a "it's dehydration, you need to constantly keep fluid in your system. Drink a glass of something every hour you're awake, baby is hogging your resources!" and will follow up on Monday with my OB.

REALLY amazed by how poor the other hospital was and now it's really no wonder that their pediatric heart surgery center was shut down. And then, getting home and talking to my sister who has a son 6 weeks younger than mine, I find out that their Children's ER doctor misdiagnosed her son's roseola as an ear infection and threw him on anti-biotics without any real discrimination or asking if there's any known family allergies to penicillin or sulphur. Unfortunately, they're the only level 3 NICU in the county, and that terrifies me. The hospital I'm delivering at will be level 2 by the time I get there, thankfully, as I can honestly say I will never darken their doors again if I can help it. So much hate and discontent. Finding ways to lodge complaints against them. They seriously need to be shut down completely.

Oh my god you poor thing! I'm glad your mom flipped. What crap! There are some wonderful amazing nurses and docs out there but they don't sound like them. So sorry you had to have a scare like that.

I'm glad the other place found out what was wrong and were helpful :) Keep drinking those fluids!!! :hugs:

Oh my god you poor thing! I'm glad your mom flipped. What crap! There are some wonderful amazing nurses and docs out there but they don't sound like them. So sorry you had to have a scare like that.

I'm glad the other place found out what was wrong and were helpful :) Keep drinking those fluids!!! :hugs:

I'm currently chugging V8 Splash cut 50/50 with water because I can't stand it full power, lol! Glad my mother flipped out too, and I was RAVING mad about the entire thing. I've filled out a couple complaint forms. One needs to be mailed, the other was able to be submitted electronically through the Healthcare Administration, the mailed one is the Florida's board of medicine. Seriously over it. Will stick to two other hospitals in the area. Not as close, but they've always taken great care of me whether it was being sick, coming off a horse, or car accident. Lesson learned.

Yeah I don't blame you. I travel 45 minutes to the hospital I go to and there's one 15 minutes away. It is worth it!

Thats terrible treatment. My hospital sucks but i know they would have done fluids right away while doing tests. Im glad you got a 2nd opinion.
I was told no sports drinks during pregnancy but the stuff you drink when you have a stomach bug. Its called hydrolite in Australia and you can drink it specifically for dehydration in pregnancy.

Yeah Hydrolite is a lot like Gatorade and Powerade. It's good stuff! I lived pretty much exclusively on Mountain Berry Blast flavored Powerade for my entire pregnancy last time, and had nice results, lol. Dehydration definitely wasn't an issue then. As far as this hospital issue? I have a pitchfork and torch in either hand and won't stop until there's something done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->