• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Latch problems with large nipples. Any tips?

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
My 3 day old is doing really well however, we aren't quite there with the latch. Apparently I've got large nipples and she doesn't seem to open her mouth wide enough or, if she does, my nipple sort if gets in the way ofme trying to get her to latch iyswim?

If she's definitely not latched on right and sucking the nipple only, then I take her off and try again. Sometimes she goes on kind of ok but doesn't seem great and I will leave her on if it's not hurting me and there are no other signs of a bad latch.

Anyone have any advice? I was spoilt with my son. He was a pro from the start!

First, Congratulations on the new baby! I have a couple tips that hopefully you find helpful. I suggest sandwiching you breast between your thumb and other fingers in order to sort of flatten it out, then take the breast and rub down from your babies nose and guide your nipple and breast tissue in as she opens her mouth. This seemed to help my little one get a better amount of breast in his mouth. Also, be sure to bring baby to breast and not beast to baby. This will help prevent her from pulling on your nipple while she nurses. I hope that helps and good luck :)

Same advice as pp. I had to squish right above my areola a little in order to get him to latch correctly when he was a newborn

Just to add to above, make sure you are squashing it in the right direction. Imagine your breast is a burger and you are squashing it so she can take a bit out of it (just like we do with real burgers that are too big for our mouths).

Just to add to above, make sure you are squashing it in the right direction. Imagine your breast is a burger and you are squashing it so she can take a bit out of it (just like we do with real burgers that are too big for our mouths).

Good tip! I think we are getting there now. Funnily enough, my OH has gone out to get takeaway burgers for our dinner!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->