Latching in public - help please :)

nimbec

Reaction score
Hi all, I really hope you can help me!

My Lil boy is now 5 weeks old and we breastfeed quite happily at home although he has a small mouth so sometimes getting a deep enough latch is an issue so we are working on this and getting better. BUT i have a big issue when out and about in public as I literally can't get him to latch without being able to see him and have my whole boob out.....i'm quite big boobed and have to cup my breast and shove it in :haha:

Today i was at a restaurant with no where private to go with my father sat opposite me - i had a shawl on and tried to nurse underneath but it was a disaster as i couldn't see to latch him he just grabbed my nipples and then was unhappy....this lead to a stressful time and not a happy baby or mummy. I feel very disheartened as i don't really want to bottle feed but feel i may have no option in public is I can't find a solution. Any tips?

I've tried the nursing covers with a loop at the top but find then just as difficult and still couldn't see as Hugo was wriggling around ....

Thanks in advance!

I look very silly when I do but I get under the blanket too if my baby isn't latching, the way I can guide my LO and I'm not exposing myself!

Thanks Hun, yes to resorted to that earlier today but I was so hot and bothered by then it was all a disaster. Maybe like you say I should accept I may look a bit daft and get under and latch him properly lol! Glad I'm not the only one 😀.

Oh i have totally gone under the blanket as well to latch! Lol what ever works! It will get easier, take practice and baby gets better too

Yep, under the blanket for me too. I have been known to just latch LO on and not worry too much about a little exposure but that is only if I am nursing in my car or some place it is semi private

It wont be this way forever. Baby will get better at latching without you needing to guide it soon.

In the meantime are you keen to go out and about or do you feel pressured to go because people have planned it/invited you? If you aren't comfortable feeding in public maybe you could ask family to visit you at home, cook a meal for you there for the next few weeks. Or maybe involve your family in helping to find places that offer feeding areas/are feeding friendly. Im sure if more people rang up places asking about breastfeeding before making bookings then more places would be breastfeeding friendly.

Trying to latch my LO under a blanket was a nightmare. We ditched it after only a few uses. I found that putting two tops on and pulling one up while pulling the other down was the easiest way to get it done, and you can practice doing it at home during regular feeds until you're comfortable with it.

Thank you so much everyone! Glad to know I'm not alone 👍

Try practicing at home with different shawls or covers. You'll soon get get the hang of latching baby without looking but for now just climb right in there. Less uncomfortable than sitting fully exposed lol xxx

Less uncomfortable than sitting fully exposed lol xxx

Depends on your individual feelings...I felt like I'd had enough difficulty and trauma with breastfeeding as it was without trying to organise shawls and special clothes. So I just fed quite openly in front of whoever. Never got any negative comments or looks (not that I noticed anyway). To me that was what was comfortable. However I know not everyone feels like I did and that's OK too.

Depends on your individual feelings...I felt like I'd had enough difficulty and trauma with breastfeeding as it was without trying to organise shawls and special clothes. So I just fed quite openly in front of whoever. Never got any negative comments or looks (not that I noticed anyway). To me that was what was comfortable. However I know not everyone feels like I did and that's OK too.

I was just referring to the point Op made about her dad being sat opposite All for people being comfortable being exposed, but don't think many of us would sit happily with all hanging out if our dad's were sat opposite xxx

I personally ditched the nursing cover after my first attempt at using it in public. I found it drew WAY more attention to what I was doing than if I just exposed myself quickly in order to latch baby. I had crawled under my cover and was fidgeting around getting baby to latch, and when I emerged from under the cover I had about 10 people in the restaurant looking at me. Once I ditched the cover and would just latch her out in the open I never once noticed anyone watching me. If you really want to go with a cover then you can try practicing at home until you get the hang of it. Eventually baby will be able to latch on his own and it won't be an issue anymore.

I was just referring to the point Op made about her dad being sat opposite All for people being comfortable being exposed, but don't think many of us would sit happily with all hanging out if our dad's were sat opposite xxx

Haha actually I nursed (and not that discreetly at first!)in front of my dad, brother, husbands grandad etc.! Family weren't around much to support me so when they were I took full advantage of their help and wasn't about to start making things difficult for myself just as there was a chance to make things easier! However I know not everyone is comfortable with this and would never want anyone to feel like they HAD to nurse in public. I guess I was just too tired to care :wacko:

I still can't latch Emma on in public, I just don't see how it's possible without exposing my entire breast for all to see.

Thanks ladies, it's hard and I guess depends on how you feel personally. I know what you mean about people looking when you go under cover - I've had that! Also If I could get him to latch quick maybe just maybe I'd expose myself...definitely not in front of my dad though - he would be so uncomfortable as would I - hopefully it will all get easier! For now I will do a combination of either finding somewhere private to latch and walking back to sit down..did thisbthe other day latched in the restaurant toilets and walked. Ack to the table and going under cover.
Quick note I'd never actually feed I the toilets and I'd only ever go in nice ones to latch.

Thanks all!

The 2 tops works great for us much better then a cover . Hang in there before you know it you will be a pro !!! If all else fails go into a clothes shop ... Go to the change rooms and feed him there in a cubical . They are clean , secure and available :) lol...

I just use a nursing top if I know I'm going to be feeding whilst out (I rarely bother with the top these days mind) and I put another top over it, you can barely see anything that way. I wouldn't use a blanket as its more likely to make you both hot and bothered and distracted.
In that situation again would you feel comfortable asking the owners if there was somewhere quiet to feed baby, you could get him latched on and feeding and then return to the table? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->