Late-term babies

winterbabies3

Wife, Mother & Expecting
Reaction score
My baby could be born at 36-37 weeks due to induction. Now most of the time this is a good gestational age if need be done. My concern is, at the hospital I am at they do not have a NICU. So if dd happens to have a breathing problem or anything we would have to be transferred to a hospital that's 45-60 mins away by car and depending on weather, obviously she would be taken by ambulance but that's still a good 30 mins. Doesn't it seem smarter to not take that risk and have her at the bigger hospital? My first son was born at 36 weeks and was fine...but not all babies are like that. What are other people's thoughts?

I agree, I think it's better to be safe and deliver at the hospital with the NICU just in case. What did your OB say?

I talk with the OB monday, I love her to pieces and don't want to offend her but I just don't see why I would stay at this hospital!

I agree. Mine was born at 36 weeks & needed NICU. Not long, but just enough to pull him through.
I would discuss it fr sure.

Qmama, Thanks for sharing that about your son. Happens all the time and just makes me want to take the drive myself and know I won't be separated from her!

The smaller hospital would have all of the necessary equipment to do a neonatal resuscitation and assist with breathing until the neonatal transport unit (It's unlikely they would just send a regular ambulance, but rather it would most likely be a specialized team specifically from the NICU hospital) would arrive to transport baby. It's a quite competent set up. 37 weeks is term and the vast majority of 36 weekers do just as well. I wouldn't worry. 36 and 37 weekers are born at level 1 hospitals all of the time.

My dd was born 37.5 at 7.5 pounds and totally fine. However for me, it's imperative that the hospital I deliver at has a level 3 NICU. That is the main reason why I'm with my OB because he is affiliated with that type of large scale hospital and that's where I am comfortable delivering. Term or not, you never know when and if your baby might need a nicu so for me I wouldn't deliver anywhere else xx

I personally think it would be better to go to the bigger hospital. Especially if you feel more comfortable doing that. I don't know where you live, but I know you're in the same lovely state as me :) We have a hospital that's 15 minutes away and I had my son at the bigger one that's 45 minutes away. We are also planning on this little girl being born at the bigger one too.

I personally think it would be better to go to the bigger hospital. Especially if you feel more comfortable doing that. I don't know where you live, but I know you're in the same lovely state as me :) We have a hospital that's 15 minutes away and I had my son at the bigger one that's 45 minutes away. We are also planning on this little girl being born at the bigger one too.

Hi love, I am in dover-foxcroft and would go to bangor. They say they have somethings to help baby but if it's serious then they have to transfer. If anything is wrong with me I would be stuck in dover while she is in bangor...it just doesn't float my boat lol.

No that wouldn't be cool with me either. I'd want to be right with her. That's funny, I live in Milo :) My DH really wanted us to go to EMMC my OBGYN is connected to it.

No way!!!! Lol, we go that way all the time to pick up my dh son!! This world is too small!!

If in going to deliver at a hospital, it's going to be one with a really good NICU just in case. I travel over an hour in labor to get to a great hospital with the best NICU anywhere near me. My kids didn't need it, but I'd rather be safe than have my baby taken far away from me and for me to be stuck in a different hospital and unable to see them until I get out!

If in going to deliver at a hospital, it's going to be one with a really good NICU just in case. I travel over an hour in labor to get to a great hospital with the best NICU anywhere near me. My kids didn't need it, but I'd rather be safe than have my baby taken far away from me and for me to be stuck in a different hospital and unable to see them until I get out!

When my dh mentioned this I said ohhh nooo, I have legs and will walk out of there! But as I typed that I was thinking to myself what if I have to have an epidural....I won't be able to.:nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->