Lavender oil. Really scared

Talia12

Reaction score
I'm 12+5 and I just had a massage from a family friend, she owed me a favour basically and insisted on doing it which was nice and everything, but she used lavender oil...like all over my body, for like half an hour. I couldn't say anything because I'm not telling the family yet (and there were other relatives around) and just kept thinking, as soon as this is over I'm scrubbing it all off. Least relaxing massage of my life. I've just been to the bathroom and washed it off as best I can, but obviously I've probably absorbed a fair amount already. Everything I've googled says to avoid lavender oil in the first trimester - well obviously I am JUST about going into my second trimester, and I had a late first tri miscarriage a few months ago. One website actually said avoid until 20 weeks.
Now I'm an absolute mess :( I'm so scared. Does anyone know anything more about this?

I use essential oils daily. I would be lost without our lavender. I think you're ok.

I also use lavender oil dail an I'm pregnant . I'd be happy to help if you have more concerns or questions.

Lavander oil is fantastic. I use oils regularly and have used both lavender and peppermint a lot while pregnant.

As others have said, lavender essential oil is generally considered safe in pregnancy. There are some you shouldn't use (interesting, these include at least a few in Bio Oil, which pregnant women have been slathering on themselves for years to prevent stretch marks). I think rosemary is generally a no-no, as is clary sage until you get to term. But lavender is safe and I wouldn't hesitate to use it moderately. I had it in my massage oil I made myself in my first pregnancy and I burnt it several days a week in an oil burner as well. I also use it in a face oil that I use every night in this pregnancy.

Thank you so so much ladies. You have all given me so much relief. I hope I can try to relax a bit about this "incident" now.

Oh, that must have been scary. Lavender is definitely one of the gentlest and safest oils. I hope you're more relaxed now. ;)

My dr told me to use lavender oil for my MS?

My nautropath has me ingesting lavender oil pills daily for my obsessive compulsive disorder (since I can't be on any pharmaceuticals.) My doctor agreed: it's fine.

Sorry to jump in.. But oh shit mindutopia what's wrong with rosemary?? Haha XD

I use lavender and rosemary in my bath all the time and have since the beginning.

Don't worry at all about Lavender as long as it is diluted and that the Essential Oil is Pure, no additives. Just for future reference though if you are receiving a massage in the first trimester you should always tell your massage therapist that you are pregnan. Massages in the first trimester are contraindicated where I live unless you have taken additional pregnancy massage courses. Now normally it is completely safe and not going to cause any problems however it always best to be open with your massage therapist. :)

Rosemary, Clove, Cinnamon, Clary Sage are all not recommended during pregnancy because they can all cause contractions. However, your body won't start contractions until it is ready. If you are experiencing pre-term labour definitely 100% avoid them or are high risk at all is just best to avoid to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->