lavender oil strip

princessellie

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
how do you do it, i always wash my nappies with a full load of washing powder on a cold wash, then no powder on a 40 wash, but this doesnt seem to be working anymore, all of my nappies smell, especially my inserts and my fitteds as these are the ones that go on the radiators, my fleece is fine but when coupled with a stinky insert its a bit gross :(

so i was thinking id put some lavender oil in the wash, how do i do it, just in the conditioner drawer, during first wash, second wash or both?? ive never done one before so am proper clueless :wacko:

x

dunno about lavender, that would just mask the smell wouldnt it?

have you tried this

https://www.clothnappytree.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39305

Id be changing the way I washed. I wash on a 60 degree cycle, I only us 1/4 cap of liquid each time. Most times I just do the 60 degree wash with 1/4 cup and dont do anything else but once a week at least I will run them all through an extra rinse cycle to see if there is any build up of detergent.
I also only use liquid or gel detergent. The non bio Gels that you put in the drum have been the best for getting them clean (I can do a 40 degree wash with it but I just feel better doing a 60...not very environmentally friendly but I only do nappies, bedclothes and towels on 60)
Ive not had any smell issues at all, stick your nose right up against any of my inserts, boosters or outers and they all smell completely fresh.
So yeah Id say you want to be hot washing and cold rinsing instead of the other way round. To get them stink free now Id be putting them through at least two hot washes with full loads of detergent then rinsing as many times as you can fit in the day

hmm see i was cold washing becuse i heard that hot water sets the smells :wacko: i might try the dishwasher tablet trick, although im gna have to buy some specially cos we dont have a dishwasher :dohh:

might try washing at higher temp, its not like they can get worse is it lol

x

I was doing a cold rinse then a 40 wash then two rinses and mine got abit smelly, now I do them all with half a persil non bio tablet straight on a 60 wash with one rinse after, not had any smell issues at all since x

hmm clearly what i read was rubbish then haha, i will just do one 60 wash from now on, think i might switch to bold 2 in 1 aswell cos i want my nappies to smell flowery hehe

x

i think the cold wash is to help clear the poo off before it can stain, the heat locks stains in

i might have made that up though, in a dream, i dunno

:rofl:

hmmm yehmaybe, she doesnt really have runny poos anymore though, she has proper easy ones that just peel off, gross i know but they are my fave kind, sooo easy to wash haha

x

if you want to try the dishwasher tablet method send me your address and ill send you one - no point buying a whole pack to try it :)

I was going to say....Id send you a dishwasher tablet rather than you go out buy a whole pack LOL!!!
I may use a dishwasher tablet actually and see what happens...LOL

I know detergent build up can make smells so maybe thats what it is?

I'm just moving Joey into his size 2 bamboozles, so I'm going to give all my size 1's a good strip before they go up into the attic. Think I'll go with the dishwasher tablet way!!(I'm lazy!)

BTW, my normal wash is a 60 degree with prewash. I put 1/4-1/2 cap of persil non bio liquid in the prewash, so the main wash is pretty much a rinse. It seems to work well for us, I've only had 1 smell issue recently, and that was after 5 months of use!

hmm clearly what i read was rubbish then haha, i will just do one 60 wash from now on, think i might switch to bold 2 in 1 aswell cos i want my nappies to smell flowery hehe

x

Hiya - my flip outers were getting stinky when i used fairy gel, stuck one in with my normal washing using bold and it smelt lovely even when using it (before they would smell ok straight out the washer but stink once they got wet) - they smell great now. So did my nappy wash with bold and they seem fine and smell lovely, especially when drying on the radiators!

i did a wash last night, half the rec amount for heavy soiled laundry, 60 wash, then 2 rinses, when i took them out they smelled lovely :happydance: i obviously just wasnt washing hot enough, solved now, thanks so much girlies :D

x

I know youve solved it, but thought id add incase it helped anyone else...

I filled a bucket with 50/50 water and white vinegar and soaked my inserts overngiht then washed as normal and that fixed the smell :D

Im gonna do a strip this weekend, was gonna sit the inserts in bleach for a bit, do a cold rinse, then add the rest of the nappies, another cold rinse, then a 40 wash and another rinse, it worked last time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->