laying on left side?

T

tinytoes

how much notice do you take when you're told to sleep laying on your left side?
I have to change sides a few times a night. Hope it's not going to give me fat ankles or harm baby?!

I try and avoid my back.

I'm having a hard time sleeping on my left side, I'm used to sleeping on my belly, which I cant do that now for obvious reasons lol But for the most part I always end up waking up on my right side with some of my belly against the bed.. I really hope that its not gonna harm the baby..

i'm sure not. I still wake up light that, I just cant stay fully on my side. I lvoe layign on my front and eventhough i tell msyelf not to I tend to lean over when i'm asleep. I wake up feeling guilty adn witha squashed belly! But i assume my body wouldnt let me if it was too bad?!?!... I got one of those bean bag / pregnancy pillo things. That really helps to keep me (ish) on my sie - i wedge it between my knees and ankles and hug it at the top.

I still lean over on my belly slightly and i have a big bump! Its hard to kcik the habit when you have been sleeping like it for so long. I always go back onto my sides when i wake up knowing im doing this and i always wake up from my back.

Your body will tell you when there is something not right and will wake u up! always happens when im on my back then i switch right back over to my side :)

I lay on my left side for some of the night but only as long as it's comfortable. If you're more comfortable on your right then it's not going to harm your baby.

I have to lay on my left side cause I've got major rib pain on my right side. For me it's the only comfy way to lay just now. x

Another helpful piece of advice given out to pregnant women. The main reason not to lay on your back is that baby can compress the main vein (inferior vena cava) in your body stopping blood returning to your heart and making you feel nauseous and dizzy. By laying on your left the uterus is kept off of the inferior vena cava etc. There really is no risk to your baby by not religously laying on your left. It is often advised to stay off your back during labour as it is more comfortable and may allow more blood to the quite active uterus. I would sleep however you can - your body will soon tell you if you need to move and by far the best thing for your baby is for you to be well slept and relaxed!

i have a congenital hip displacement and have had since birth so i am very very fidgity, i try and lay on my left side but constantly move onto my right but always end up on my back... i cant help but im hoping that if im doing any damage my body will tell me and make me move

h x

I'm too achey to give a sh*t how I'm sleeping. If I can find a position that doesn't hurt that night then that's the one I'm going for. Even though I'll wake up 40 times with leg cramps, pelvis pain or needing to pee. Yay, the end, how wonderful is it?! :dohh:

I try to avoid my belly more than my back. I'm a belly sleeper though, it's really hard for me not to sleep on her. I start off with a pillow there, it's never there when I wake up though.

I switch back and forth between my left and right side, if I stay on one side too long my hip starts hurting.

I would sleep however you can - your body will soon tell you if you need to move and by far the best thing for your baby is for you to be well slept and relaxed!

That's about what I was told as well...that you will know if something is "wrong" and you need to move long before it will affect the baby.

I don't worry about it now and sleep however I can ~ but I switched sides of the bed with my OH so when I do sleep on my left side, I'm facing outward instead of into him. I don't like feeling stifled! :)

No it wont cause issues if you sleep on your right side. It wont cause issues if you sleep on your back because you'll wake up and move before anything goes wrong.
I've read the reason why they say left side is because it puts less weight on your liver. Tis all.

No it wont cause issues if you sleep on your right side. It wont cause issues if you sleep on your back because you'll wake up and move before anything goes wrong.
I've read the reason why they say left side is because it puts less weight on your liver. Tis all.

i read it was about your vena cava (Always reminds me of a fizzy wine!...hhahah) which drains fluid from your lower body. it's on the right side of our spine, so laying on our left reduces pressure on it so it can keep draining better and we dont get fat ankles or legs and everything works well with regards to getting things flowing to buba.
Ah well, I'll swap between left and right as is comfiest.

Thanks guys x

When I was pregnant I laid on whatever side, or back so I could sleep, most times it was on my back or left hand side!

i read it was about your vena cava (Always reminds me of a fizzy wine!...hhahah) which drains fluid from your lower body. it's on the right side of our spine, so laying on our left reduces pressure on it so it can keep draining better and we dont get fat ankles or legs and everything works well with regards to getting things flowing to buba.
Ah well, I'll swap between left and right as is comfiest.

Thanks guys x

That sounds possible too. LOL I never know what's true and what's made up in th articles I read.

The back is because of the Vena Cava.
Your right side is because of your liver.
You're both righttt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->