left or right handed when did you know?

letia659

mom to Jacob and Zander!
Reaction score
a few weeks ago we noticed Zander is going to be a lefty like me and he is 14 months old now and a friend of mine on fb posted his little boy of 5 maybe 6 months old is left handed I didnt know you could tell so early so I done the worst thing and googled it :dohh: and of course when you google something bad always comes up :growlmad: anyway it seems that if your child favors right or left to early then it can mean they have a neurological disorder etc so I was just curious when most find out which side their child favors :shrug: surly 13-14 months isnt early right everything on google says 2 yrs and up

Megan is a lefty & I've known for months. At 6 months when she started finger foods - she would only use her right to pick up foods - but then tranfser the food to her left hand to actually eat it. If she picked up w/ left hand - she ate it vs. transfering hands. As time went on it became even more obvious.

Hadnt realized it could mean something when she favored one early on though!

Omar still doesnt have a preference. He uses both hands equally. Even if he hold food or a spoon (which is not a frequent thing), he uses both hands. He waves & points using his right hand, but he uses any to put his dummy in his mouth & hold his sippy cup.

Well we believe Ella is right handed but will actually do a lot of things with both hands so it's hard to tell sometimes.
My mum knew with me that I was going to be left handed from about 3-4 mths when I started reaching for toys, I would use my left hand to grab, even if my right hand was closer to the toy. Now, I can be a little nuts at times, but assure you I don't have a neurological disorder! :lol:

I never noticed.. an old man in doctors was talking to my LO when she was about 15months and she took her cup in herleft hand to drink and he said "oh she'sleft handed.. I am too" since then ive noticed she uses herleft hand alot more than any other. For colouring, eating a yogurt etc x

She's now 21months!

I get a good few 4 year olds when they start in my reception class who still havent got a dominant hand.

AJ prefers his left. But uses both.

He finds it easier and is a lot cleaner when eating, something like a yogurt. But will still use his right

We noticed a long time ago and still doesn't really have a preferred hand.

Its hard to tell until they are at least pre-school age. x

I have noticed LO uses his left hand a lot for his fork/spoon etc but will lift heavier items like his sippy cup with his right hand but I don't think he has any real preference yet who knows!lol

Tegan's physio says they don't establish a true preference until at least 4 years of age but Tegan shows a preference for her left hand at present.

Tegan's physio says they don't establish a true preference until at least 4 years of age but Tegan shows a preference for her left hand at present.

my 6 yr old Jacob is right handed and I truly couldnt tell until he was around 4 going into preschool he even used spoon and forks in both hands until then so I honestly didnt think you could tell this early but Zander does everything from feeding himself with his hand, using a fork, pointing, picking things up, and coloring (which he hasnt done much of) with his left so I just assume he is but who knows also if I give him something in his right hand he just about always passes it to his left :shrug:

They go through phases through when they're young. Tegan favoured her left, then her right, and now her left again. Showing a preference at a very young age like your friend on FB's child can be a sign of weakness in the opposing side.

Elyse always preferred her left hand as an infant, it was the first she'd reach to toys with and she seemed to have better control with it, now she's nearly 2 and I'd say it's about equal what she can do with each, some stuff she does with her right, other stuff with her left. So I can't say I know she is left handed or right handed for certain right now :)

We were sure Sean was going to be a lefty from about 6 months to 18 months. Then he slowly started favouring his right.

He will still colour in with his left hand sometimes, but can stay in the lines better with his right. He is now 2 1/2 and I would say we still can't tell for sure.

Google is bad. He doesn't have any disorders and was never weak with his right hand (could pick things up find if he chose to), the left hand was just the one he used more when he was younger.

My dad can use both hands (I know the word for it, but can't spell it :) ). I'm also. I'm a lefty, but I went through a stage at school teaching myself to write with my right hand and could go it fine, although a little slower. I can play sports i.e cricket right or left handed. It could be possible that Sean has picked this up from us which is why we can't tell which hand he is going to be.

Evie sometimes favours her left hand when she's stacking bricks.. anything else she'll use left or right :shrug:

I also haven't noticed a clear dominance, but I think Bibi will be right-handed (there's a huge amount of left-handed in our familiy, so I'll keep an eye out).

My eldest was still using both hands in primary one (age 4-5), it was his teacher who commented on it, I thought it was normal until then, he used to use his left for writing but his right for colouring !!! lol He is left handed. Dec still uses both but I have noticed when he is colouring and writing he is using his right more and more :)

Did you know that children in the womb show a like for one hand over the other. I knew my LO was right handed around 4 months when she would always reach for stuff with that hand.

Yolanda Penn
Owner, Ethnic Babies LLC

I have always kept and eye on this as I noticed my LO using her right hand more than the left at one point when she was younger. As OH is a left hander and I am a right we have just been keen to see what she would be. She certainly favours her right hand for things now but obv does use both but if she colours or paints or uses a spoon, its right.

AJ prefers his left. But uses both.

He finds it easier and is a lot cleaner when eating, something like a yogurt. But will still use his right

We noticed a long time ago and still doesn't really have a preferred hand.

Same here.....i actually thought at one point he was going to be left handed as it seemed to dominate more but he now uses both randomly .:shrug:

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"