Lengths some go to to find out sex

I'm not aware of any risks of ultrasound? Have you any links to studies?

As far as im aware there are no 'documented' risks of having ultrasounds - i think its just personal preference.
I think some people want to find out the sex of the scan due to practical reasons - im finding out early as i need to get the builders in to do a loft conversion if we are expecting a girl!!!

I dont think there is any right or wrong in wanting to know its just personal choice.

What is the effect of coke supposed to be? I'm one of those people who has said (and was told myself) to drink Coke to get baby moving. It worked and baby is healthy, are you saying there is a risk to drinking it? Just curious. Drink a fair bit of the stuff myself, fizzy pop addict.

It is important not to get hung up on the sex though. Baby didn't want us to know at first either, although we wanted to, you do have to accept that sometimes an ultrasound just can't tell anyway. It comes down to personal choice and your individual interpretation of the risk. Knowing I'm having a boy has definitely helped me bond and like I say, each to their own.

The effects of drinking more than 3 cups of coffee per day have been documented (to cause miscarriages during the first trimester)... but I can't imagine a single can of coke seriously harming the baby.

OH is also afraid that exposure to several ultrasounds may cause harm (though there is no real evidence yet), but we decided that a single gender ultrasound will be alright, and will help us bond with the baby. We're buying all large items gender-neutral, but would still love to know what we're expecting so we can pick a name and stop calling the baby "it".

for those interested in info re ultrasounds read (Unsound Ultrasound)
for those that dont know risk of coke to general health there is an abundance of information on web and if coffee is got even a small risk there is caffeine in coke

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

Just out of curiousity, but is this the same for Coke that states zero sugar or no sugar etc...? or just the full sugar variety?

Ambreen, I agree that coke or any soda for that matter is not good for anybody's health.. I hardly ever drink any, and if I do, then it's just a sip or two. I just meant that, if someone who doesn't usually drink coke were to drink half a can before going to the ultrasound to ensure the baby moves around a bit-- well, I can't see the harm in that. But to each his own, to each his own.

Just to add on about the coke zero or diet crap--they're even worse, considering they have artificial sweeteners--bad, bad chemicals! I could be wrong, but maybe fruit juice could get things moving as well???

I know the risks/effects of artificial sweetners on cells, particularly aspartame. I was wondering if what you posted was relating to them too regarding the same sugar effects? :)

Is it not up to the parents whether they want to find out the sex, a majority of people wait until the 20 week one when they are being scanned for anomaly checks anyway! I have had and will continue to have further scans with my consultant, I was scanned very regularly with my daughter and was not once told by any consultant that it was bad. They have done research into it and the only affect that was picked up was slightly smaller birth weigh, but not enough to be concerning! x

I think that people shouldn't be slammed for wanting to know the sex of their baby; after all it's their choice and no-one elses outside of the pregnancy.

Same with whether they're drinking caffiene. When someone had the audacity to shout at me for drinking a Diet Coke, I cheekily replied "at least I didn't put the vodka in it this time" to shock them into realising that their opinion wasn't welcome - not to mention that there are a lot worse things that I could be doing. The midwives/sonographers encourage you to drink a caffienated drink to encourage the baby to move around during the scan NOT just to find out the sex, but to get other essential measurements (for mine, it was because the baby was facing the wrong way to check for spina bifida and I had an increased risk).

Once again, what the mother decides to eat/drink is HER choice. Why does anyone else have the right to comment and throw narrow-minded views in their faces? Would you do that to someone who's not pregnant? Does someone who works on a checkout have the right to tell an overweight woman not to buy that pack of doughnuts, and then thrust "studies" in their face telling them that obesity is bad? :dohh: Whatever happened to autonomy?

Worrying every two minutes about what they should/shouldn't be doing, as well as what people think of them, just increases stress levels (which no doubt some other nosey person would take great pleasure in pointing out that's bad too).

Completely agree, vixiepoo! It's good for people to be informed of possible harm-- but we can't avoid it all completely!

If we would REALLY care for the well-being of our babies, we would have to stay away from microwaves, cell phones, and anything else that might transmit waves which could "possibly" harm our children :)

I think that people shouldn't be slammed for wanting to know the sex of their baby; after all it's their choice and no-one elses outside of the pregnancy.

Same with whether they're drinking caffiene. When someone had the audacity to shout at me for drinking a Diet Coke, I cheekily replied "at least I didn't put the vodka in it this time" to shock them into realising that their opinion wasn't welcome - not to mention that there are a lot worse things that I could be doing. The midwives/sonographers encourage you to drink a caffienated drink to encourage the baby to move around during the scan NOT just to find out the sex, but to get other essential measurements (for mine, it was because the baby was facing the wrong way to check for spina bifida and I had an increased risk).

Once again, what the mother decides to eat/drink is HER choice. Why does anyone else have the right to comment and throw narrow-minded views in their faces? Would you do that to someone who's not pregnant? Does someone who works on a checkout have the right to tell an overweight woman not to buy that pack of doughnuts, and then thrust "studies" in their face telling them that obesity is bad? :dohh: Whatever happened to autonomy?

Worrying every two minutes about what they should/shouldn't be doing, as well as what people think of them, just increases stress levels (which no doubt some other nosey person would take great pleasure in pointing out that's bad too).

You are sooo spot on!! I completely agree with you. Although I have cut coke out of my diet completely (only because it keeps me awake at night) there is absoloutely nothing wrong with drinking it! My SIL drank about a litre of coke a day and her little girl is just fine!!!
If your gonna complain about something then make it something worth complaining about like smoking or drinking. Hospitals all over the world wouldn't carry out ultrasounds if they were 'bad for your baby'!!!!!!
I got went private to find out the sex of my baby for personal preference. I don't think any pregnant women deserves to be criticized for wanting to know the sex of there baby and I personally think that the people who are dishing out the criticism need to keep there opinions to themselves!!!

You guys are right in the sense that as mothers we do have the right to make a variety of choices, but it's so important to remember that the choices we make ARE affecting our babies. So, we should be making the best choices possible. While an occasional can of coke is no big deal, there are other options available. Coke isn't the greatest thing in the world for you--I think we can all agree--the sugar content is incredibly high, and it's very acidic. And don't get me started on the diet varieties, as aspartame has been linked (in just about every bit of research) to cancer and other diseases in lab rats (poor rats!).

Amymarx--you stated that "Hospitals all over the world wouldn't carry out ultrasounds if they were 'bad for your baby'!!!!!!" This isn't really true. There was a time when hospitals regularly performed x-rays on pregnant women, thinking it was ok. What a shocker when they realized how dangerous it actually was. Just because they are hospitals, or doctors, or whatever, doesn't make them right all the time. It's our duty, as mothers, and just as intelligent civilians to do our own research and examine the conflicting opinions and viewpoints, then come to decisions about ourselves and our children. Having a differing viewpoint from the mainstream does not make someone "narrow-minded." In fact, the opposite just may be the truth!

As far as opinions and criticism, this IS a forum--a place for people to get things out, whether they are rants, raves, or questions. Communication is a great thing, and we are all entitled to our opinions, whether they seem critical or not. As a public speaking professor, I would hate for anyone to censor themselves. Just my two cents...

Dont think we should let this get too out there and emotive. Afterall this is the friendist place on BnB!
Xx

Dont think we should let this get too out there and emotive. Afterall this is the friendist place on BnB!
Xx

true, true.. and I definitely don't mean to bash anybody's personal opinions. I think so many of us feel like books, media and people around us are constantly judging us for the smallest "risk" we might be causing to our unborn babies that it's easy to get too defensive. We all want the best for our little ones, and nobody wants to be told that they're a "bad" mother for getting an ultrasound or drinking the occasional coke. But it's definitely important to remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and nobody should feel like they have to censor their thoughts just because others might not agree.

The hospital wanted to find out the sex of my baby at my 20 wek scan as I have gestational diabetes and my last baby boy was 4 weeks early and a whopping 10lb.......
The hospital warned me that if I got gestational diabetes again...and I have, then if I was having another boy it was likely it would get even bigger than my last because apparantly boys get bigger each pregnancy when the mother has gestational diabetes....and after 2 boys I am having a girl! phew...didnt fancy a baby any bigger than 10LB

Kellyb you said what i was thinking so eloquently Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->