Lengths some go to to find out sex

Home & Natural is definitely the best place on BnB to 'agree to disagree' :thumbup:

Drinking too much caffeine every day is not a good idea, but one coke every now and then? Sheesh, there is this thing called moderation. The risks of a soda every now and then are NOT "well documented". Most of the studies on caffeine in pregnancy are done on lab mice/rats. I gave up caffeine when we started NTNP but it IS an addiction, just as real as cigarettes, which most people have a hard time giving up. I don't blame someone for having a hard time getting off coke.

Besides, when you're told not to gain weight, your only options for drinks are diet sodas or water. (You realize juice has as much sugar as a regular coke, right?) I already feel sick most of the time, I'm not giving up the one thing that still tastes good, caffeine free diet dr pepper. My midwife said no sugar and recommended diet sodas since I hate drinking water.

As for your other "complaint", knowing the gender is important to most people. It can make the whole thing seem more real. Right now for us it's "the baby" or "it". Once we know, not only can we start saying he or she, but we can start using the baby's NAME. Maybe they don't like using green and yellow on everything. We already picked out a lot of stuff and while it does tend to have a more masculine look, we went with green & brown colors so I think they will still work for a girl.

Most people find out the gender when they're doing other tests. If you don't want an ultrasound fine, but maybe it's not your business if other people are doing what they think is best for their baby.

Hm. This seems to be an anti-ultrasound thread in disguise.

Putting the gender issue aside, I wish I had done more to get my daughter moving for her scan as she was born with a very serious congenital abnormality, which required multiple operations. It wasn't detected antenatally because they couldn't get all the measurements during the 20 week scan. Since everything else was ok, it was assumed all would be fine.

Although having the information about her problem wouldn't have changed much, it would have ensured I gave birth in a hospital with appropriate facilities instead of my poor baby being driven hundreds of miles for treatment.

Anyways, the moral of the story is get a decent scan and if a can of coke helps, then do it.

I'm glad this thread is here.

I'll have a Coke before our 20 week scan -- hadn't even occurred to me that that might persuade baby to move. Our 13 week scan for Trisomy 18/21 took 2 hours because baby wouldn't move. (Except for hiccups.)

Ice cold drinks also work just as well for me - doesn't have to be coke or the sugar hit to get baby moving. They also have to be ish-still for some of the measurements. You can always come back.
XxX

Um I had to jump up and down and have a cold drink to get baby to move to get measurements and check everything was OK and nothing to do with the gender. I think you may have the wrong end of the stick on some of the threads you have read.
x

I care so much about finding out baby's gender that I won't hesitate to drink Coke to encourage movement.
Granted, I can't drink an entire Coke because the bubbles make my tummy hurt.
But I don't think that's some evil, terrible thing.

Hm. This seems to be an anti-ultrasound thread in disguise.

:haha: I was just about to post that!

I had a kit kat and a coke before going for my gender scan (In truth, I probably would have had it regardless of the scan :lol:) Alright ladies... smack on the hand cuffs. :winkwink:

That's a strangely defensive post ambreen. In this section all we do is consider and research and question. But that doesn't mean we all necessarily come to the same conclusions. Our past experiences colour our interpretation of the data and research as well as our opinions of current medical practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->