Lentils

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
I've actually never cooked with them and I'm planning to go to the grocery store tonight. I know they are very good for you so I really want to try them with the boys. First I need to know which ones to get, I've seen many varieties...I'll be buying them dried. And also anyone have some good recipes, things for toddler +. They will eat spicy and anything, so anything you like, no matter the spice level and all that it's fine. Thanks!

Whats a lentil? ha ha... sorry

This :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil

Oooo I made some for Helena today. Red Lentils. Some lentils take forever to cook though. The red ones did not take long at all. It was supposed to be a puree but it kinda turned into a soup, so we both ate it for lunch. Delicious.

I can post the recipe in a bit for you! :D

where do you buy them? haha... I have never heard of them until I was reading a baby food jar.

Anywhere :rofl: I bought mine at Superstore in the "Ethnic" aisle because it was cheaper that way for a gigantic bag. These ones just needed to be rinsed, no soaking required.

yeah I think every store has them. I know here the health food stores like Whole Foods and Sprouts have more of a variety but I've seen them in the regular grocery stores too. In Sprouts they have them in the bulk section where you can get exactly how much you need so that's what I'm going to do

I love lentil dal. You can use yellow / red lentils for it and make a load then freeze some (I use plastic cups) and have it with rice / curry / naan / whatever you like!!

Here's how I do it but there's loads of recipes on the web, I tend to just use what I've got in!!

Chop onion, garlic, carrots and an apple (just some veg generally!) and fry it in a big saucepan

Add Indian spices and curry powder (I mix them in a bit of water first then fry them for a bit)

Add lentils (follow the instructions on the packet, I normally give them a good wash then soak overnight even if it doesn't say to as it makes them less gas producing later if you do!!) then cover them with vegetable stock stick the lid on your saucepan and cook as per lentil instructions

Use a hand blender to mush it as much as you like

Eat

x

I love lentil dal. You can use yellow / red lentils for it and make a load then freeze some (I use plastic cups) and have it with rice / curry / naan / whatever you like!!

Here's how I do it but there's loads of recipes on the web, I tend to just use what I've got in!!

Chop onion, garlic, carrots and an apple (just some veg generally!) and fry it in a big saucepan

Add Indian spices and curry powder (I mix them in a bit of water first then fry them for a bit)

Add lentils (follow the instructions on the packet, I normally give them a good wash then soak overnight even if it doesn't say to as it makes them less gas producing later if you do!!) then cover them with vegetable stock stick the lid on your saucepan and cook as per lentil instructions

Use a hand blender to mush it as much as you like

Eat

x

This is pretty much what I did :D Helena ate it all up.

I'm going to try this for Hannah (after payday :rofl:)

I use the red lentils and you can get them at Tescos - I just do onion, sweet potato, carrots and mix them together with a bit of cheese and it is quite yummy. Emm isnt a big fan of meat so I use it as an alternative. You can make them into a loaf with veg but I think you add an egg and a little flour x

Sorry just realised you are American - dont know if you have Tescos there! Should be in the big supermarkets tho.

Yeah we have the red lentils at a store here called Sprouts :)

How do I prepare them...they are in bulk so they won't come with instructions. Like if I'm making just the lentils themselves...how would I cook them?

YAYYYYY More lentils!!!!

We grow lentils so buy LOTS of them ok??

Red lentils are shelled in the store, so they cook faster.

We grow green lentils. They're pretty all-purpose.

Look in the "recipies" section, there's a thread about lentils in there and I posted a really good recipe for lentil-banana loaf that is deeee-lish!

To cook lentils, you can either do a quick boil or a long soak. Soak them overnight and they should be soft in the morning (I think. I usually do the boil method. Hopefully someone else knows the soak method!).

The quick boil is you put them in a pan and cover them with water - they swell up, so leave room in your pot. Bring them to a big fat boil and then turn them down and let them simmer until they're soft (30-40 mins depending on how fresh your lentils are. The older, the longer cause they're dried out more). Then drain and rinse.

Then you can throw them into ANYTHING! Throw them whole into soup, spaghetti sauce (it's my favourite, because my husband hates the texture of lentils but he doesn't notice them in spag sauce :D)... chili, whatever! If you make a puree (following the directions in my post on the other thread) you can put puree into anything too - cookies, loaves, etc.

Eat beans too! They're tasty, and have mostly the same attributes as lentils. And I can give you a absolutely killer recipe for baked beans if you want :D Like you get in a can, only way better!

Thanks for supporting our industry! (P.s. it's better if you buy Canadian :D :D :D)

Haha I don't know where ours are from, they are just in bulk bins at the store, I'll look and see, it's a health food type of store that supports local farmers so I would imagine it's from somewhere here but some things they do bring in so maybe.

Thanks so much for the tips! I'll go look in the recipes section for that recipe

I boiled mine in low sodium veg. stock, with a sauteed peeled and seeded tomato, chopped and a carrot, chopped.

So you cooked it with the stuff from dry instead of cooking them ahead and then putting them in something? I think I might try that....do you drain off extra liquid or does it absorb it all?

I will go grab my book. :D

Red Lentils with Carrot and Tomato (Annabel Karmel - First Meals book)

1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 large tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed and chopped
2 carrots, grated
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cumin (I didn't put this in)
2/3 cups red lentils
1 cup coconut milk
1 1.4 cups veg. stock or water

Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the tomatoes and carrots gently, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spices and cook for 30 seconds. Add the lentils, coconut milk and stock and stir well to mix.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. Add 1 - 2 tbsp water if the mix gets too dry during cooking. (I found mine had too much liquid and did not have a mashed texture, mine was more like soup)

Cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and blend to a puree. Alternatively, mash to desired consistency. Serve warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->